Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mattel has crushed my will to customize...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bagmonster
    Registered Lurker
    • Apr 13, 2002

Mattel has crushed my will to customize...

I have always been a big DC fan and I think that my customs have been roughly three to one DC to Marvel, but I have to say that the new retro line has put the brakes on any new DC custom endeavors for me. Not that I am upset about it, mind you.

I think that I have always customized because I wanted to "fill in the gaps." I now happily wait to see if Mattel and EMCE will fill in the gaps for me. It is a different kind of thrill.

For now I will content myself in finishing all of my partially completed customs (I have a lot of those). Maybe I will even think about some new Marvel figures!
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

Me too. I'm onto Marvel again and really obscure DC that I figure will never see the light of day from Mattel.

Comment

• Cosmicman
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 12, 2005

Nah. Don't let it crush anything. People are still doing customs. My good friend Alberto Malnati (member on here also) just made a really cool Captain Cold custom and I did a Guy Gardner custom. Whatever you feel like doing just do it.
      Of course the only reason I made Guy Gardner was because I didn't know about the Mattel until later. I should probably sell it before it comes out.

Keep customizing my friends!!

...and yes, I have been going hog wild on the Marvel guys also but you never know the future. So do what you do best. If Mattel comes out with the figure later then keep it or dismantle it.
      Last edited by Cosmicman; Mar 8, '11, 12:00 AM.
      More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• chalwa
        Mego Philomath
        • Jun 8, 2007

[QUOTE=Wrathdemon;703801]
        Keep customizing my friends!!
        /QUOTE]

I could not agree more! The retros are great but I find working with my hands and creating to be a stress reliever and a great way to relax.
        There are too many obscure characters to sit on yer duff!
        Dr. Double X, Skull & Bones, Arm-Fall-Off-Boy, Futurio-XX, Captain Horatio Strong, Super-Chief, Captain Stingaree, Goody Rickles, The Cougar, Bee-Man!
        The list is endless!
        Then there are the early fandom characters like: The Defender, Doctor Weird, The Astral Man, The Changeling, Xal-Kor, The Eye, Liberty Legion....
        and on and on and on!
        Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
        The Misadventures of Captain Blog
        Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
        I shall be very proud and great.
        And tell the other girls and boys,
        not to meddle with my toys.
        -Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Heck,make customs of the WW II stuff. Just look over in the EMCE section to see the ones pining for Sgt. Rock,Blackhawk and so on. Or make the western guys. I doubt we'll ever see the likes of Bat Lash.

Comment

• bobws
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 13, 2008

I'm concentrating on the All-Star Squadron, all heroes for the 40's and Teen Titans and them move on to the Legion. Mattel hasn't come anywhere near all these teams so i feel quite confident that i have plenty of time to work on them. Plus, there's always the marvelverse as already stated. Just have fun!
            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

For me it's done just the opposite. After the let down of Mattel's Batman & The Flash(and others)...I realized I would keep making Customs to get them to look the way I feel they should. I'd rather invest $50.00 or more to make my own Batman that I'd be happy with...then spend $20.00 on Mattel's.
              Last edited by The Bat; Mar 8, '11, 7:24 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

The first thread summarizes exactly how I feel about DC customs at this point. I am EXCITED as hell to no longer feel the need to fill the holes.
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Chris
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                  The first thread summarizes exactly how I feel about DC customs at this point. I am EXCITED as hell to no longer feel the need to fill the holes.
                  Exactly. When the DC line is finished I'll fill in the holes. Until that day comes I'll work on Marvel characters. Though, I really wonder if Mattel will make a Vigilante figure?
                  If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
                    House of a thousand Megos
                    • Aug 10, 2009

I will never stop customizing and I think if something is produced then maybe there is a way to make it even better.
                    Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Yeah. They've done a bunch of neat figures, but I still prefer the old Mego bod. (Adds continuity to my collection.) That, and I doubt they'll ever make my favourite DC characters.

Don C.

Comment

• Batman
                        "Real" Unlike Others
                        • Dec 13, 2010

Besides I look at it that these are new customs and I do the vintage customs with T2 bodies.I don't use the newer bodies/parts for older customs because thye will be classified as a EMCE type custom.

T2/T1 bodies are classic Mego anything else looks too new...

Comment

• chalwa
                          Mego Philomath
                          • Jun 8, 2007

Originally posted by bobws
                          I'm concentrating on the All-Star Squadron, all heroes for the 40's and Teen Titans and them move on to the Legion.
                          I for one would love to see some pix of what you have!
                          This is the area I am pursuing right now also.
                          I always loved that pic of the Legion statues in the classic 'Composite Superman' story and would love to see a mego custom version of that.
                          Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
                          The Misadventures of Captain Blog
                          Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
                          I shall be very proud and great.
                          And tell the other girls and boys,
                          not to meddle with my toys.
                          -Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• Cosmicman
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by chalwa
                            I for one would love to see some pix of what you have!
                            This is the area I am pursuing right now also.
                            I always loved that pic of the Legion statues in the classic 'Composite Superman' story and would love to see a mego custom version of that.
                            http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/...b710584bd6.jpg
                            You and I must think a like. Custom Legion on my mind also.
                            More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• REMOVED
                              • Apr 24, 2024

Originally posted by The Bat
                              For me it's done just the opposite. After the let down of Mattel's Batman & The Flash(and others)...I realized I would keep making Customs to get them to look the way I feel they should. I'd rather invest $50.00 or more to make my own Batman that I'd be happy with...then spend $20.00 on Mattel's.
                              What? You mean there's someone who doesn't like Mattel?

;-)

I'm happy with the customs that I've put together with other people's stuff including Troy Younger's Shazam (a fantastic sculpt) and Fred's Black Manta. I have a few of the new figures but am happy making them myself or with a little help from my friends.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎