Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxed Ledy superheroes: how many known to exist?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Boxed Ledy superheroes: how many known to exist?

I know that getting the Lili Ledy superheroes in boxes is an almost impossible endevour, but I was just curious if anyone has any ballpark figures on what ones are known to be out there. Reading the info in the galleries, I've learned that there may be only one boxed Aquaman and three boxed Captain Americas. I've seen pics of 2 or 3 different Batmans, so there are at least that many of him. How about the rest? Which ones have never shown up boxed? A warehouse find of Mxyzptlks made him somewhat "common", but how many were actually found?

These toys fascinate me, so I'm just trying to find out more info on them to add to all the useless knowledge in my brain. In Star Wars collecting, there seems to be a pretty good handle on the number of boxed 12" Ledy figures out there (the majority of which came from one warehouse find, but there are others known to exist as well), so I think it would be cool if someone had similar info on the heroes. No one could ever know everything that's out there of course, but it would be nice if there was some record of what is known to exist.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

No fist fighters have ever turned up boxed, I've held a boxed Catwoman before though.

My friend actually tracked down a boxed Tarzan for me but then said he couldn't make the deal because, I kid you not, the owner's mother was a witch. Something must have gotten lost in translation there.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

Then again, if I got screwed out of getting a super rare figure I really wanted because of someone's mother, I'd think she was a witch too (or worse!).

I wonder if the Ledy fist fighters had different packaging. Too bad none have turned up yet.

Comment

• MegoNinja
        Career Member
        • Feb 7, 2007

are they rare because not many were made or rare because the Mexican's don't understand that they are valuable and just leave them in their closets? (for the record I am not being racist)
        I the Monster Hero

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

I have no idea about how many were made (but certainly much, much less Ledys were made compared to Megos), but one reason why boxed ones are rare is definitely because of the fact that there was almost no collectors market in Mexico until recent years.

Don't worry, thinking that shouldn't be considered racist, it's just a case of a lot of differences between the US and Mexican economies and how money is spent. Although things like toys were considered completely disposable and ephemeral in practically all countries back in the day, there was still a very small percentage at the time who thought otherwise and decided to put stuff away for the future (or who just liked to collect stuff). . It's just that compared to countries like the US, Italy, Japan, etc, the number of people in Mexico who wanted to spend good money on toys (instead of food, clothes, etc) to store away was nearly infinitisimal (sp?).

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

It seems Mxy is the most common boxed. A lot of us have that one. I personally have never seen any others boxed in person, just what's pictured in the galleries. I too have wondered if the FF'ers were boxed differently and if they mentioned their fighting action.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

The Warehouse find of Myx's happened in 1995 and was bought out by Mike King, it was brokered by "Polo" Moreno, the same gent who gave me my first break in Ledy's. In fact, he inspired me to start foreignmego.com .

That lot consisted mainly of Cipsa Apes, Mike King sent me photos of the find because at the time I was working on yet another mego book attempt. He sold the Myx's originally for $100 each, I nabbed one right away.

Myx just never sold very well, I think if Palitoy had released him on cards, we'd be tripping over those right now. When I was dealing heavy in Ledy, I always seemed to have to take a Myx to get a rarer figure.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Yeah,it seems you see more Ledy Myxs on eBay than US versions. Could be me though.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

I have no numbers to prove it, but I would assume less were made in Mexico. I assume this because I also assume there was less of a demand. Mexico has always been not as well of as the US or other western countries and Japan. I'm assuming people just could not afford toys in the numbers that they were purchased in other countries.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• MegoNinja
                    Career Member
                    • Feb 7, 2007

where are all of these 100 dollar Mxy's?
                    I would love to add one to my collection of 'not so rare not so expensive' Mxyzptlk thing's
                    I the Monster Hero

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by MegoNinja
                      where are all of these 100 dollar Mxy's?
                      I would love to add one to my collection of 'not so rare not so expensive' Mxyzptlk thing's
                      I saw about three boxed ones on ebay during the summer and fall of last year, and they constantly sold for under 100 bucks each (around $80-90ish). I haven't seen one on recently (other than the $210 one that's always hanging around in an ebay store) but if one showed up now, it would probably go for a bit more, as there seems to be more people bidding on the Mexican stuff than there were previously.

Comment

• MegoNinja
                        Career Member
                        • Feb 7, 2007

i think that 210 dollar one is gone, I can't seem to find it, I wouldn't mind buying it, I am very impatient.
                        I the Monster Hero

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

MEGO Mr.Mxyzptlk LILI LEDY MIB SUPER HERO SUPERMANS FOE - (eBay item 220070023760 end time Dec-05-07 13:43:21 PST)

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

He also accepts a best offer. I believe someone here once offered $125 and the guy counter offered with $150. Give that a try, don't be too impatient and just pay the $210. (don't worry, it's been for sale for quite a while, so I doubt someone will buy it before you have a chance to have a best offer accepted).

Comment

• MegoNinja
                              Career Member
                              • Feb 7, 2007

lol, thanks, I typed in Mxyzptlk, mego and lili ledy and different combinations of those words but could not find this auction, what was I doing wrong? Maybe I was on the german ebay or some thing.
                              thanks a whole heap for this guys, the reason I am not patient with this sort of thing is because people here say thing's are really common but when I look for them they are nowhere to be found, I should really increase my seaching abilities.
                              I think I'll take your advice though and not buy this until I really have trouble trying to get one.
                              anyway I think I have hijacked this thread enough, werent we talking about rarity?
                              Last edited by MegoNinja; Nov 10, '07, 9:35 AM. Reason: typo
                              I the Monster Hero

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎