X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Kennedy Lone Gunman Theory Challenged

I just saw this on AOL news. We all have opinions on this and maybe we heard it all before but this announcement seems out of the blue since there is nothing happening regarding this topic lately.

Get breaking news and the latest headlines on business, entertainment, politics, world news, tech, sports, videos and much more from AOL

Kennedy Lone Gunman Theory Challenged
    By David Morgan
    Reuters
    WASHINGTON (May 18) - Bullet analysis used to justify the lone assassin theory behind President John F. Kennedy's assassination is based on flawed evidence, according to a team of researchers including a former top FBI scientist.

Writing in the Annals of Applied Statistics, the researchers urged a reexamination of bullet fragments from the 1963 shooting in Dallas to confirm the number of bullets that struck Kennedy.

Official investigations during the 1960s concluded that Kennedy was hit by two bullets fired by Lee Harvey Oswald. But the researchers, including former FBI lab metallurgist William Tobin, said new chemical and statistical analyses of bullets from the same batch used by Oswald suggest that more than two bullets could have struck the president.

"Evidence used to rule out a second assassin is fundamentally flawed," the researchers said in their article.

"If the assassination (bullet) fragments are derived from three or more separate bullets, then a second assassin is likely."

The Kennedy assassination set off a whirlwind of theories about who killed the 46-year-old president.

The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy, known unofficially as the Warren Commission, concluded in 1964 that Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone, fired three shots, one of which missed the president's car. There have been many challenges to its conclusions over the years. The House of Representatives Select Committee on Assassinations concluded that Oswald was probably part of a conspiracy that could have included a second gunman who fired but missed Kennedy.

The panel's supporting evidence was a bullet analysis that said fragments collected from the site were too similar to be from more than two slugs.

But the latest report found that many bullets from the same batch used by Oswald had a similar composition.

"Further, we found that one of the thirty bullets analyzed in our study also compositionally matched one of the fragments from the assassination," the article said.

"This finding means that the bullet fragments from the assassination that match could have come from three or more separate bullets."
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

The whole entire original investigation was botched from the start (either on purpose or not)

For this reason alone, nobody will ever be able to legally prove anything different.

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Every other so-called more than one gunman theory has been disproved in the past. In time,this one will too.

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by jwyblejr
        Every other so-called more than one gunman theory has been disproved in the past. In time,this one will too.
        To date none of the multiple gunmen theories have been entirely disproven. There are many loose ends and unresolved issues in the case, inconsistencies in evidence and testimony point to more than one gunman.

People who are want to stick with the status quo, the Warren Commission findings, have raised counterpoints but never entirely dis-proven Oswald acted alone or that there wasn't another gunman.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Because no one wants to believe that Oswald was able to pull it off by himself. Everyone seems to think the guy was some type of patsy.

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>Why does Kennedy get the circus?

I've always suspected it's because this was the sharpest deminstration in current memory that all Americans don't think the same. After the war the States had a sheen of sameness about it. "American" was pretty well defined for most. (Baseball, apple pie and all that.) Coming into the 60's there were a lot of examples creeping to the fore that not everyone felt the same; and killing the president was the most blatant (and hardest to ignore) example of that.

Don C.

Comment

• RG
              Removed.
              • Oct 1, 2004

I think what adds to the whole thing is how Jack Ruby shut Oswald up. Oswald never got to tell his side, and Jack Ruby's reason for shooting Oswald is odd to say the least.

And the Zapruder (not sure on the spelling) film came to light showed plane as day JFK's death

I feel there was a 2nd gunman, but not some huge deal some believe it to be. IMO the "cover up" comes in when the Government didn't want to admit they allowed a couple of thugs kill the President of the USA. One nut getting though can happen anywhere, but 2 or 3 with a plot could have be seen to the puplic as a bit of an oversite

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by type1kirk
                The whole entire original investigation was botched from the start (either on purpose or not)

For this reason alone, nobody will ever be able to legally prove anything different.
                Nuff said
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by ctc
                  >Why does Kennedy get the circus?

I've always suspected it's because this was the sharpest deminstration in current memory that all Americans don't think the same. After the war the States had a sheen of sameness about it. "American" was pretty well defined for most. (Baseball, apple pie and all that.) Coming into the 60's there were a lot of examples creeping to the fore that not everyone felt the same; and killing the president was the most blatant (and hardest to ignore) example of that.
                  From your mouth to Squeaky Fromme's ears-----so to speak
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎