X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

The Goodwill, The Bad, and the Ugly!!!

I know from the posts, many of us frequent the thrift stores for raw material, New additions to our collections and ebay fodder, So I wanted to expose yunz to the new business model my new local G-will is using and see what yunz think.
    My local Goodwill is using a "pay by the pound" method. You load up a shopping cart or what ever and proceed to the cashier. They have scales at the register to wiegh you out. The price per pound decreases the more poundage you amass.

As for the items. All the goods are in big bins that are on rollers. The bins are near tabletop high and about a foot and a half deep. The items are lose and just dumped into the bins. In a way this is sometimes a good thing as you might just want part of a toy not the whole toy for your custom. And trust me, mostly parts what you find. Hardly do you ever find a complete toy item.

The ugly of it is other people will rummage through stuff. Scattering grouped or boxed items. I've seen boxed games/toys opened and the contents scattered across the bins. It seems as though some people do it out of spite or meaness. My personal ethic is that if I find an item that I can use parts of for a custom. I buy as much of the item and dismantle it at home for the parts I need. After all, this is for charity.

Man this turned out long. So let me know your opinion or if this type of selling is happening at your local stores
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

That's pretty neat, but my Goodwill store is organized by color, and I would hate if that were to happen.
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Batman
      "Real" Unlike Others
      • Dec 13, 2010

Do you have a pic of what these bins look like and maybe how the store is set up?

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
        Mighty Man/Monster Maker
        • Aug 14, 2007

Weird. All the good custom fodder stuff seems to sink to the bottom at my store. Ya gotta dig!

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
        https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• ddgaff1132
          Persistent Member
          • Oct 3, 2007

Originally posted by jessica
          That's pretty neat, but my Goodwill store is organized by color, and I would hate if that were to happen.
          You might like it Jess. Many of the bins are all clothing/fabric and you pay by the pound no by an estimation of the clothings worth. Think about it leather=$1.50 per pound.
          MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• ddgaff1132
            Persistent Member
            • Oct 3, 2007

Originally posted by GaryPlaysWithDolls
            Weird. All the good custom fodder stuff seems to sink to the bottom at my store. Ya gotta dig!
            Is your G-Will following the same sales model Gary? If so you hit on another key problem I find. Having to move around tons of crap to find a tiny bit of plastic. Also the bits of broke glass bits lingering at the bottom of the bins.
            Last edited by ddgaff1132; Mar 2, '11, 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling
            MEGO MOTORS

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎