• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BATMAN89
    Mego obsessed!!!
    • Jul 20, 2010

Stuff like THIS in Illinois

Post deleted
    Last edited by BATMAN89; Feb 24, '11, 11:38 AM.
    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
    My Early Custom Megos
  • stabilio
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 10, 2002

Unfortunately, you are only going to see "stuff like that" in Wheeling, WV once a year in June. That's the only place it happens. The reality is probably that its more than likely the only place its ever going to happen.

"Mego Meet" is the name of the official annual Mego convention, not just the title of this forum. However, this forum, while created to discuss the official Mego Meet, has gradually become a place where people seem to discuss other get-togethers and propose a gathering closer to their own homes on a regular basis.

There are plenty of toy shows, comic cons and other events that you will be able to dig around and find good Mego content at. However, none of these will ever approach what you will find at Mego Meet.

Its not a perfect location. But the venue is given to us free of any charge other than paying admission and dealer table costs to the owners (all super cheap BTW). That's not a deal that just comes about anywhere else. You'd be talking about someone organizing it, and laying out a rental fee, insurance costs plus loads of extras that go along with creating these type of events. May not seem like a big deal but ask someone who has done it or ponder why someone else hasn't done it.

You'd be surprised to find that the vast majority of the people who attend Mego Meet aren't just around the corner from the venue. Aside from Ohio residents, the Chicago area probably provides more attendees each year than any other location actually, and I think they all make the 8 hour + drive. Just off the top of my head, I know we have attendees coming from all over including California, Oregon, Texas, Arkansas, Kansas, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Arizona, Georgia, Illinois, Ohio, Oklahoma, Missouri, Louisiana, Alabama, Canada and probably a lot more than that as well. A good majority of these people are driving 8 hours plus or flying just to get there.

Now of course the distance and travel costs can be prohibitive to some and I'm not suggesting that you should skip a mortgage payment to attend. But its a yearly event and you're looking at a weekend plus maybe 1 weekday off to go. Theres plenty of time each year to save and plan if its something you put your mind to. And if you are a Mego fan/collector, I'd be surprised if you didn't leave thinking is was worth every penny and then some.

If you are from overseas, then I can't tell you that the cost isn't prohibitive as it certainly is and I don't think its a true option for even the most hardcore Mego collector, though we'd love it if you could make it. If you are a west coaster, its a decent cost plane ride and again you have to figure if its doable for you but we have had plenty of west coast people come over the years.

Basically, if you can find a way to swing it, you should do it at least once because if you love this hobby, you'll be overwhelmed with geeky Mego goodness and the weekend will fly by. And as I said, its very unlikely that you will ever find anything that can measure up to it anywhere else. And who knows how long it will be around itself. I know one day there just might not be Mego Meet anymore, hopefully not too soon...

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

^ Well said sir.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• BATMAN89
        Mego obsessed!!!
        • Jul 20, 2010

Thanks for the info!
        And I wish that I was able to go!
        I know it would be awesome!
        Take care!
        Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
        My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

I didn't go to the first 2 I believe. Mainly because I thought it was too far and too expensive. But after seeing all the pictures from those years I just set my mind to it and planned. Yes, you have to plan like a vacation, take the time off work, and all the other things but it is so worth. And Ron is right, no where else will you see that much Mego in one spot.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

You won't find the Mego selection OR the comradarie. I go to an ton of events every year toy/comics related and not. At those events though, unless you go with someone it's just you doing your thing. At Mego Meet your hanging with friends the whole time.

Comment

• Brad
              Batman Fanatic
              • Aug 20, 2010

While it would pale in comparison to the main Mego meet I would be more then happy to organize a mini meet for the Chicago land and Southern Wisconsin members.

We could either use our businesses building or better yet, Rock Cut, our local state park. Both are within 5 minutes of I90. In fact the park entrance is literally 1/2 mile or less from the exit ramp. When you are on I90 you actually drive right over the park.
              "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

• megocrazy
                Museum Trouble Maker
                • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Brad
                While it would pale in comparison to the main Mego meet I would be more then happy to organize a mini meet.
                Just organize a carpool from the Chicago area and attend the real deal. It's only an 8 hour drive. There must be a couple of members from the area that want to attend but don't want to go alone. Probably cost about $200 in gas and tolls. Divided 4 ways that's pretty affordable. Split a double 2 ways at $60 a night and a member can go for Thursday - Saturday for about $150 minus food and mego spending. 3 late nights in the Suite are worth that amount of money.
                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• david_b
                  Never had enough toys..
                  • May 9, 2008

I live in Milwaukee, so it's hard to get closer than that..
                  Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• TrueDave
                    Toy Maker
                    • Jan 12, 2008

Yeah, there does seem to be a bunch of Folks from OHIO here.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎