Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Greunke
    • Feb 17, 2011

Manglord or Manglor Mountain out there?

Does anyone remember Manglord or the Manglor Mountain set? It was a green guy you could tear apart and put back together again? He was maybe 4 inch/ or 3&3/4 size? If there are any out there for sale, I'm here to negotiate a price.
    Last edited by Dan Greunke; Feb 22, '11, 9:50 PM. Reason: pic didn't upload
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

Yes I remeber them. I tried playing with one because he remineded me of Swamp thing. Didnt work so well. Dont have any sorry.

Comment

• Mego Superboy Prime
      Career Member
      • Nov 27, 2009

Yeah I know. I thought when you ripped them apart they would stick back together. Turns out you just ripped your apart and broke it. When I was a kid this devastated me!!!
      If you're a fan of old-school toys, toons and comics then my blog is the place for you!!!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I remember wanting those, and my Mom told me she bet they didn't go back together well. Turns out, she was right! I guess that toy is pretty infamous for being one that didn't work.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• AcroRay
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 17, 2005

Ken Kelly actually designed those toys. He's still got the original concept and production artwork for them for sale.

Oh - American Plastics had the tooling for the Mountain, and offered it in their big vintage toy tooling salvage auction a few years ago.
          Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
          AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
          The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
          Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• thoriron
            Career Member
            • Apr 22, 2004

i have to sale the human figure and pterodactyl figure misb last year
            i want to see if i have the pics.....soon

Comment

• thoriron
              Career Member
              • Apr 22, 2004

here pics in harbert box
              GIOCOLLEZIONIAMO: manglords vulcalors harbert box

Comment

• Doc
                Banned
                • May 9, 2010

The first thing I wanted to do when I opened him was to see the cool repair feature so I tore his arm off...Guess what ? It stayed off. *** did this ever work? They had to pitch this idea to someone and show it did something right?

One thing it had to be an instant collectible. I dont think any survived for obvoius reasons.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Maybe there was a material change. Maybe the material the creators wanted to use was too expensive, so Ideal (or whoever) decided to go for something cheaper, that would still "kinda" work.

Or maybe no one really thought this one through...

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                    • Jan 22, 2008

I've got most of the series including the manglor moutain. Love this toyline.

Comment

• Mego Superboy Prime
                      Career Member
                      • Nov 27, 2009

Originally posted by AcroRay
                      Ken Kelly actually designed those toys. He's still got the original concept and production artwork for them for sale.

Oh - American Plastics had the tooling for the Mountain, and offered it in their big vintage toy tooling salvage auction a few years ago.
                      Well tell Mr. Kelly that his Manglor's looked cool but were a a HUGE disappointment in my household.
                      If you're a fan of old-school toys, toons and comics then my blog is the place for you!!!

Comment

• Dan Greunke
                        • Feb 17, 2011

Wow- I didn't realize there were this many other collectors who would even remember Manglord. Mine worked. I think Earth2Chris is right about the material change. Maybe some worked and some didn't. I tore my Manglord apart and he would stick back together every time. Even with dog hair on it.
                        Awesome. That original artwork is for sale somewhere? That would be something I would bid on for sure. My wife may be against it, but yeah- I would want to buy that.

Comment

• Mego Superboy Prime
                          Career Member
                          • Nov 27, 2009

It's not that he stuck back together. The commercial made it look like if you ripped it apart you could put it back and still play with it. But you just ended up ripping your toy apart and the arms and legs would just eventually fall off. It was essentially broken and had to buy another. So when my mother got me another Manglor I wouldn't rip it.

Comment

• tay666
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by Dan Greunke
                            Awesome. That original artwork is for sale somewhere? That would be something I would bid on for sure. My wife may be against it, but yeah- I would want to buy that.
                            Here is Ken's site.
                            Ken Kelly Fantasy Art Painter - Conan - Manowar - KISS - Rainbow - Originals & Prints
                            Not sure where it would be on there, but you can poke around and see if you can find it.

Comment

• Mego Superboy Prime
                              Career Member
                              • Nov 27, 2009

Manowar...ha,ha,ha.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎