X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Help! Identify this GI Joe-ish Figure

I need help identifying this vintage GI Joe-like figure. The arms are made of the kind of bendy rubber of a Barbie doll... but the knees and ankles are jointed. The back reads only "Made in Hong Kong".

Anyone know what this is? When my mother gave it to me, years ago, she said this was very old and valuable and "the figure that GI Joe was based on"... but I was just a kid, so she may have been telling me tall tales...
  • Joe90
    Most Special Agent
    • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
    When my mother gave it to me, years ago, she said this was very old and valuable and "the figure that GI Joe was based on"... but I was just a kid, so she may have been telling me tall tales...
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news about your Mom... I hope it doesn't psychologically scar you.

He's a "Mister Action" figure. He's far from being the figure that 'Joe was based on, actually he's a knock-off figure from the 1970's. Mister Action made a number of uniforms and accessories. Some of them are quite collectible today.

Check out crazedfanboy.com for the skinny on your knock-off.
    90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Thanks for the info. I always suspected it was just a Joe knockoff... so no emotional scarring inflicted.

The head certainly looks like Mister Action. The one thing I am confused about is the knees and ankles. Mister Action appears to have no joints there. Actually, stylistically... the body looks very much like a Fighting Yank. So is this the later, more poseable version of Mister Action that they refer to in the article?

Comment

• Joe90
        Most Special Agent
        • Feb 23, 2008

Could be a transplant of a Mister Action head onto a later Fighting Yank, or Mintex body. Maybe a knock-off of a knock-off... Neutron-X would be better able to tell you.

Comment

• Mok
          Museum Patron
          • Mar 4, 2010

I have a Hasbro Defenders body with what looks to be a Mr Action head .
          ATM-09-ST "Scopedog"

Comment

• Chris DVM
            Veterinarian Member
            • Jun 18, 2001

Hey,
            Could also be a Sarge Figure - another Fighting Yank rip off. More likely a Sarge due to the facial hair.
            Chris DVM
            "The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

• gman
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 4, 2002

^^^I think it's a Sarge figure. Mister Action is an orangey LJN figure... I think mine even have LJN on the back of his torso.
              Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• Joe90
                Most Special Agent
                • Feb 23, 2008

^^
                A Sarge head sculpt looks more like 1970's Ken head than this one. I have a loose one and one in a sealed poly bag with an intact header. It's in storage so I can't take a picture of it to show you.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎