• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JMC
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 3, 2004

3 piece mego costume sewing question?

Hi,

I need a little help with the order in sewing a 3 piece mego costume. There is the front piece then the two back halves. What is the correct sequence to sew them together for a tight fit?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

Is there a snap in the back?

The sequence goes like this:

Sew mid seam of back pieces up to where you want opening to be (mark with clip or dot of chalk)

Shoulder seams first (if applicable)

Sleeves sewing in flat (cuz there is no way you can do them in the round on a sewing machine.)

Hem sleeves while flat.
    Then, do the side seams; left side seam from sleeve hem to leg opening, right side seam from sleeve hem to leg opening.

If there are going to be attached legs/hose, make sure you sew those in as well while the suit is right side out.

If these instructions make no sense, go to the custom section, and in the pattern section, there are sewing instructions for sewing a three piece suit.
    JediJaida

Comment

• JMC
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 3, 2004

Originally posted by JediJaida
      Is there a snap in the back?

The sequence goes like this:

Sew mid seam of back pieces up to where you want opening to be (mark with clip or dot of chalk)

Shoulder seams first (if applicable)

Sleeves sewing in flat (cuz there is no way you can do them in the round on a sewing machine.)

Hem sleeves while flat.
      Then, do the side seams; left side seam from sleeve hem to leg opening, right side seam from sleeve hem to leg opening.

If there are going to be attached legs/hose, make sure you sew those in as well while the suit is right side out.

If these instructions make no sense, go to the custom section, and in the pattern section, there are sewing instructions for sewing a three piece suit.
      Thanks! I think I got it. The pattern is a single front piece with arms and legs and the back is the same but cut in half. At what point do I sew across the back connecting the two halves. I can't seem to visual this

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

Well, if the snap is at the top, you have to leave an opening big enough for the figure to actually go into the suit.

Okay, I just measured the opening in the back of one of my Dinah mite purple jumpsuits, and the opening is just barely under three inches, with a smidge over one inch for the crotch.

And mind you, I included the collar in the measurement.

Are you hand sewing this or machine sewing it?

If by hand, measure one inch from the bottom of the back piece, mark it, and sew a 1/4" seam, making sure to go back over your stitches from the other side, in order to lock them.

If you're doing it by machine, just sew a 1/4" seam once. Tie off and then do the shoulders, sleeves, sleeve hems, sides, and crotch.
        JediJaida

Comment

• JMC
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 3, 2004

Originally posted by JediJaida
          Well, if the snap is at the top, you have to leave an opening big enough for the figure to actually go into the suit.

Okay, I just measured the opening in the back of one of my Dinah mite purple jumpsuits, and the opening is just barely under three inches, with a smidge over one inch for the crotch.

And mind you, I included the collar in the measurement.

Are you hand sewing this or machine sewing it?

If by hand, measure one inch from the bottom of the back piece, mark it, and sew a 1/4" seam, making sure to go back over your stitches from the other side, in order to lock them.

If you're doing it by machine, just sew a 1/4" seam once. Tie off and then do the shoulders, sleeves, sleeve hems, sides, and crotch.
          Gotcha! Thanks so much!

Comment

• JediJaida
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 14, 2008

Make sure you check out the sewing instructions in the custom mego section.

Also, check with others on this board and get their advice when it comes to sewing.
            JediJaida

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎