Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nepthys
    • Jan 30, 2011

80's and 90's collectables

Hey gang! I was wondering if the market for 80's and 90's collectibles is starting to pickup? Any thoughts?
    My site for curios of past and present
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

80's toys will pick up as the kids from the 80's reach their 50's...then nostalgia will Kick in......and you'll get a few bucks....

He-man,Ghostbuster, Gijoes,Transformers, Superpowers..etc may someday be highly collectible......

Medicom Godzilla 12" figure Combat Joe Takara from the 80's is already a highly sought after figure
    Euro Big jims are also sought after collectibles these were around in the mid 80's

90's toys are crappy and there's tons of them around so there is no market for it

Comment

• Nepthys
      • Jan 30, 2011

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
      80's toys will pick up as the kids from the 80's reach their 50's...then nostalgia will Kick in......and you'll get a few bucks....

He-man,Ghostbuster, Gijoes,Transformers, Superpowers..etc may someday be highly collectible......

Medicom Godzilla 12" figure Combat Joe Takara from the 80's is already a highly sought after figure
      Euro Big jims are also sought after collectibles these were around in the mid 80's

90's toys are crappy and there's tons of them around so there is no market for it
      I see. I have TMNT figures from the 80's on card and other figures and I'm wondering how long I should hold on to them.
      My site for curios of past and present

Comment

• boynightwing
        That Carl Guy
        • Apr 24, 2002

I'm sure there is a market for the Turtles already. I kept all of mine. I wish I had some in the package but I don't.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I actually think the market hits a high when collectors reach their 30's. At this age, many people have progressed to a point their life where they have some expendable cash. Many don't have children yet so they have some extra money around. I've seen several of the collectors I've known have to give it up when their money started going towards a family. (an even better collection )

I've seen 80's toys really pick up in prices over the past 10 years, especially Transformers, GI Joe, He Man, etc.

In fact, I've felt a touch of a downward curve in Mego demand. Packaged and mint figures still draw a lot of interest, but loose and lesser quality figures see m a bit cheaper. They are still loved and wanted, but some have moved on to other things. It was the same waning I saw with Captain Action of the 60's around 2000.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• vulcan2074
            Live Long and Prosper
            • Mar 23, 2008

I totally agree with that.
            Sammy

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

I can get behind the feeling that the mass marketing that went on in the mid 90s for toys made for a glut of items. Which was multiplied by the speculator craze and a bunch of expendable income floating around. But, I can't really say that all 90s toys are garbage. There were a number of enjoyable and interesting lines. Wether or not they will attract any cash is beyond the point. They are toys and meant to be played with.

If the sole reason one bought toys was to wait until their values went through the roof and paid for one's retirement, then that buyer is in speculatorland and will be justly rewarded with a bunch of boxes cluttering up their storage space until they decide to part with them.

On a side note: I was surprised that at the last toy show I went to more folks were interested in late 90s early 00s Star Wars toys than vintage items. However, toys from the 70s/early 80s fetched more per item than the 90s toys.

Comment

• megoat
                A Therefore Experience
                • Jun 10, 2003

Wait, I guess I'm confused--haven't these lines been collectible for awhile now?

There are plenty of collectible toy lines from the 1980s......

As for the 1990s, we shall wait and see. I think some of the early Power Rangers stuff is collected. The 90s are when the full on man-boy collector craze kicked in and most toys were scooped up by adult collector types. Pretty much the end of the "innocent" toy era, IMO.....

90's toys = 90's comics.

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

yea Gi joe,transformers and He-man are way more collectible and worth more & them most 70's toys
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• drthielegood
                    • Feb 9, 2011

"The 90s are when the full on man-boy collector craze kicked in and most toys were scooped up by adult collector types. Pretty much the end of the "innocent" toy era, IMO....."

So true... seems to be similar to what happened in the 80's and early 90's with baseball cards. Older guys saddened by the fact that they put Mantle/Mays rookie cards in the spokes of their bikes bought up all the cards, sets, stickers, etc that they could get their hands on....That industry is still reeling. At least the toy/figure market will always have a draw with children along with the collector niche.

All I know is that i bought some of the "hard to find" McFarlane/Spawn figures as well as the KISS and Classic Monster Playsets and the last time I checked they are actually selling on ebay for less than the original retail. So much for 90's scarcity.

Bummer.....But I'll probably open and display the monster Playsets

Bob
                    Last edited by drthielegood; Feb 17, '11, 8:16 PM.
                    ".....Honey, I never drive faster then I can see.....Besides that its all in the reflexes."

Comment

• batmanrocks
                      Career Member
                      • Oct 20, 2004

I will say that not all 90's toys are crappy, power rangers seem ot be a hot ticket

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Given the fact that Joe rah and transformers dominate most shows as well as being able to support shows all on their own, we are already there. Collectors are in their thirties if that makes you feel old.

The next decade is all about the power rangers. Those kids are just getting out of college. Spawn will follow less than a decade after that. Those kids will be the lucky ones given the amount of product out there mip.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

All you gotta do is watch what's being brought back to know what's currently the thing to amass/sell. The 80's are pretty much back, and yeah; the 90's will be too.

Don C.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                            OH JES!!
                            • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by megoat
                            Wait, I guess I'm confused--haven't these lines been collectible for awhile now?

There are plenty of collectible toy lines from the 1980s......

90's toys = 90's comics.
                            Yes they are but they're still affordable....what I'm trying to say is commanding big cash. I know some of the rarer Superpowers already can command prices over $100 bucks but that's still affordable....

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by boynightwing
                              I'm sure there is a market for the Turtles already. I kept all of mine. I wish I had some in the package but I don't.
                              I collected those still have the first wave.....which I think will eventually be collectible. but they over did the rest of the line which you can't give away

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎