• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

3.75" 100% Custom figures ?

MEGO means 8".

But anybody with molding knowledge and a rivit gun make any 3 3/4 guys?

From sculpt to mold to paint?

You think the Real American Hero guys do?

Stay Groovy.
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I know there are a lot of 3.5" customizers in Japan. I've seen tons of Microman customs. They usually use a ball and socket joint for their figures though. (You used to be able to get tiny ones.) The ones I've seen that LOOK like rivets have been cast and painted that way; it's not an actual joint. The rivets are a pain 'cos they're so small. MJost casting resins are rigid polyurethane, and they grind down failry quick; so rivets would get loose or slip off after a bit of play. (I BELIEVE the commercially available ball joints were vinyl.) A few years back Takara released a bunch of "blanks" of their new Microman bodies, for customizing. Ironicly, a lot of 'em are now expensive collectors' items.

Don C.

Comment

• TrueDave
      Toy Maker
      • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by ctc
      Hmmmm....
      MJost casting resins are rigid polyurethane, and they grind down failry quick; so rivets would get loose or slip off after a bit of play.

Don C.
      I've been burning up the phone lines trying to order a low rigidity resin so its possible to have moving parts.

I saw a bunch of clone trooper heads and custom helmets and armor for popping on the new style Star Wars guys on E Bay.

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

>I've been burning up the phone lines trying to order a low rigidity resin

You can get them.... try Smooth-On.... but they bring odd problems with them. Such as not taking paint so good, or being harder to trim post-mold. But it's always good to experiment. (I'm looking for a squishy plastic so's I can make the tail on my 8" Alien bendy.)

>I saw a bunch of clone trooper heads and custom helmets and armor

Stuff like that's pretty easy. I used soft, squishy plastic to make Space Glider helmets that corresponded to the colours of the figure. Worked well, since the plastic could be dyed pre-casting. (I had a bunch missing helmets, and the more rigid originals crack; hence the squishy. The colour thing was 'cos I heard the original Japanese ones had matching helmets.)

Don C.

Comment

• TrueDave
          Toy Maker
          • Jan 12, 2008

Gi Joe Cobra Custom Crimson Invasor Red Snake Eyes X 5 - eBay (item 320654712801 end time Feb-15-11 14:28:09 PST)

Check out this guys stuff. Home caster?

I have some plastics from Industrial Polymers I still have to try. Different rigidities.

Comment

• Reptilesrmt
            Ape Collector
            • Jan 10, 2011

Wow those are cool.

Comment

• LadyZod
              Superman's Gal Pal
              • Jan 27, 2007

You might want to contact the guys over at Onell Designs (The Glyos guys)

They hand cast ALOT of their small run 3 inch guys. They're the guys to see about what molding and casting stuff to use for little joints.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
              Check out my art:
              Art Portfolio@Redbubble
              Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• cyberlord
                • Jul 13, 2010

the miroman blanks were called bodyforce and are mega posable like you just wouldnt believe

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by ctc
                  Stuff like that's pretty easy. I used soft, squishy plastic to make Space Glider helmets that corresponded to the colours of the figure. Worked well, since the plastic could be dyed pre-casting. (I had a bunch missing helmets, and the more rigid originals crack; hence the squishy. The colour thing was 'cos I heard the original Japanese ones had matching helmets.)

Don C.
                  Is that a Smooth-On product? I'd like to try out some squishy plastic.
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>Is that a Smooth-On product?

Yup; but I forget which one. (I haven't used it in a while.)

Don C.

Comment

• draconianguard
                      #1 Ernest Borgnine Fan
                      • Mar 12, 2004

Originally posted by TrueDave
                      Gi Joe Cobra Custom Crimson Invasor Red Snake Eyes X 5 - eBay (item 320654712801 end time Feb-15-11 14:28:09 PST)

Check out this guys stuff. Home caster?

I have some plastics from Industrial Polymers I still have to try. Different rigidities.
                      I own a figure from this seller. He uses custom in the title, but they are not. They are factory made injection molded plastic figures. Some are original ideas and some are almost exact replicas of rare G.I. Joe figures.
                      Pop Culture Central - Convention reports, toy reviews and more

Comment

• mazinz
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by draconianguard
                        I own a figure from this seller. He uses custom in the title, but they are not. They are factory made injection molded plastic figures. Some are original ideas and some are almost exact replicas of rare G.I. Joe figures.
                        Can you go into a little more detail on this? So did some company recast and boot the 82 snake eyes or did this guy actually pay for that work himself? I picked up 3 of his replacement Cobra de Aco heads. I would love to get some of those Snake eyes figures but the prices always go too high
                        "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎