Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late 80's, early 90's custom Mego Heroes. Metzger? Flatt?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LOU
    Museum FIN-atic
    • Nov 20, 2003

Late 80's, early 90's custom Mego Heroes. Metzger? Flatt?

Hey Guys,
    I've had these custom Mego Heroes for about 22 years or so and I know they came from either Scott Metzger (sp?) or Charlie Flatt. As I said they are VERY, VERY old! Hard to tell in the pics but the boots/gloves are actually cloth! This was LOOOOOONG before repro Megos and custom parts existed, at least as readily as they are available now. Pre-computers as well.
    Anyway, if anyone has any info as to the origin of these customs listed below, please let me know:

1.) SILVER SURFER
    2.) HAWKMAN
    3.) RED TORNADO
    4.) LEX LUTHOR
    5.) GREEN LANTERN
    6.) FIRESTORM
    7.) DAREDEVIL
    8.) FLASH

The Green Lantern originally had a completely different head, It was a Superman head (I think) that had the hair painted brown and the mask was an awesome piece of separate green plastic that was glued to the figure's face. It was damaged in a mail mishap so I had to replace the head completely.
    Other than that, the rest of the listed characters are exactly as they were when I bought them 20 or so years ago. Of course, all original Mego bodies must have been used although the outfits appear to actually be sewn/glued onto the bodies so it's impossible to confirm; but based on the era from which I got them, there weren't custom Mego bodies in existence, at least not that I recall personally.
    Anyway, any help/info is appreciated guys!

• ScottA
    Original Member
    • Jun 25, 2001

I would say they were Scott Metzgers work Lou. He always made fabric gloves and boots and the gloves seem to form-fit the hand and fingers. Scott did some awesome work back then (and still does today I'm guessing).
    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Definitely my Buddy Scott!!
      sigpic

Comment

• LOU
        Museum FIN-atic
        • Nov 20, 2003

Great thanks gents!!! Just wanted to know. Scott, was he the same dude that made the custom Dr. Loomis and Michael Myers back then too?

I should add that I remember the Firestorm was made with something called the "G.I. Joe campfire" and the Luthor used Daddy Warbucks' head from the Annie doll line!

Comment

• bagmonster
          Registered Lurker
          • Apr 13, 2002

Awesome. I have to say that it was Scott's custom page that turned me on to the whole custom thing. The possibilities were endless!

Comment

• LOU
            Museum FIN-atic
            • Nov 20, 2003

Yeah, I'll never forget when I first laid eyes on them way back then! Up to that point, a custom Flash or Green Lantern Mego was unheard of much less tons of custom pictures everywhere. There wasn't even internet yet! LOL! They were absolutley stunning. As Scott said, the gloves were form-fitted to Mego hands. The Flash mask was a sewn mask! Truly works of art and the very first representations of unmade characters in 8-inch Mego form that I'd ever seen. Great memories!
            I may actually be selling these, at least the DC ones, now that the Retros are out. Always tough to part with items you've had for a long, long time but it is something I may do at some point, still debating the idea. On the other hand, I'm going to start rebuilding a loose Mego collection at some point when I have more time and may use these guys for that. So who knows...

Comment

• LOU
              Museum FIN-atic
              • Nov 20, 2003

YES! The Flash and Green Lantern pictured on those pages looks identical to mine (sans the replaced Green Lantern head I mention.) He really did a superb job on my Hawkman, I remember being bown away when I first saw it and it still holds up today as a stunning custom!

Comment

• TrueDave
                Toy Maker
                • Jan 12, 2008

First time I heard about MEGO customs was a Green Arrow with a real carved wood bow on the cover of a Toy Magazine. Venom too maybe? ??

Comment

• Tothiro
                  Kitten Mittens
                  • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by TrueDave
                  First time I heard about MEGO customs was a Green Arrow with a real carved wood bow on the cover of a Toy Magazine. Venom too maybe? ??
                  Green Arrow was a Flatt, if I remember the cover in question. He was making bows out of hand carved teak. Scott's stuff was always awesome - and kind of daunting in the volume of output.. He had/has a pablo picasso level production schedule. Charlee, for instance, would call it a good year if he finished three dolls sometimes.

All the custom bodies I was doing were miliputt based parts. I don't know what Charlee used. This was before off-the-shelf RTV available products changed the game. Scott was a great costume guy - and if I remember right he used an adhesive on the outfit backs, whereas Flatt always had a stitch maneuver to close them up.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎