X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Evel Knievel for 1974

Another glorious look at one of the decade's greatest successes and possibly one of the biggest hits in toy history. When Ideal toys licensed the likeness of Robert "Evel" Knievel known for his wild (and painful) stunts and combined it with one of the grooviest toy concepts known, it was gold!

During these years, the EK stunt set was a top ten best seller in North America and it was a steady rocket ride for the next couple of years.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Great memories. Still have my Evel with his stunt bike in the original box. The bike is a little weathered from the jumps, but it still works. Truly one of the great toys from the 70's.

Comment

• DavidCoppola
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 3, 2009

Remember it very well.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I only had Evel and his stunt cycle, but man did it get a LOT of play. My dad had fun with that one too. Years and years later, I'd pull the bike out and play with it, when poor Evel was nowhere to be found. My Mego Fonzie got quite a bit of use out of it too.

My parents got me the Playing Mantis reissue in the late 90s. It was like Christmas at 3 all over again!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Remember in the commercials how they'd show the toy carsa and ccyles doing all kinds of neat jumps and stunts. The you got it home and it just flipped over and lay there.

Not the Stunt Cycle. This is, IMHO, one of the best toys ever invented. Mine successfully landed all kinds of jumps and kept on rolling. One sits proudly among my collection today.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
            To Fear is Not Logical...
            • Feb 17, 2008

Still have my original Evel and stunt cycle, too. At one point I also had the chopper and the Snake river skycycle. My son has the reissue but doesn't use it that much, yet. At 5 years old he has a bit of trouble getting it revved up enough to go very far. Ironically, Chris, he has taken his CVTV Fonz and put him on the bike, but I think he did that because he likes the figure, not so much because of Fonzie and motorcycles.
            It's all good!

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

I so had Evil. Had the stunt cycle and the dragster. Loved it.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

I could so get into this line. I had Evel and his stuntcycle as a kid.

I was really tempted to get this just a few days ago...it's still on my watchlist...

EVEL KNIEVEL 1975 BOXED IDEAL MEGO CANYON RIG & FIGURE (eBay item 130481331304 end time 07-Feb-11 20:07:34 AEDST) : Toys, Hobbies

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

I have a very large Evel collection today. (stunt cycles, chopper, funny car, dragsters, wheelie car, stunt and crash car), but when I was a kid, it was all about Evel's female counterpart, Derry Daring. While there really was no such person, Ideal made a little history for her. I had loads of fun making her jump my Matchbox cars w/ book ramps, and crashing domino buldings. Never took it outside though. Too risky on my block in NYC.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

I was just telling my son about this last night dear God I want and Evel Knieval stunt cycle again......I tore mine up

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎