Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond's Next Wave of "Retro Figures" will be...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulk
    Mayor of Megoville
    • May 10, 2003

Diamond's Next Wave of "Retro Figures" will be...

...more Star Trek

from an email I just received from my representative...

Looks like the Planet of the Apes figures are still a little ways off. The next retro figure release has been announced and it’s Scotty and the Keeper. These will show up in the December Previews catalog. I’ll supply pics and pricing as soon as we get them.

• ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

Oh, those are going to sell well.

Comment

• megoscott
      Founding Partner
      • Nov 17, 2006

The Keeper.
      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• dumbldor
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 9, 2002

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess sssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Keeper ?
          Not sure if that's a good idea right now for them.
          IMO, they should be going for the big tough four first.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Finally I can make those Martian Chronicles customs I've been lusting after!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

I'll buy Them! I don't have the Keeper...or a Scotty MOC.
              sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

I might buy a Keeper, might.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

Might not be the most logical choice, but at least they're two new ones. I'm getting them for sure
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• KosmiCKennY
                    Igo ugo we all go 4 mego!
                    • May 13, 2004

I guess it makes sense to them since they already have the light blue bodies to use. I just hope they continue and eventually come out with NEW figures, I know, call me a dreamer.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Logically it makes sense, but I can't see this release going anywhere without a RINGER figure.
                      They were able to slip by without one in series-1 because of the NEW Honeymoon hype of the series, but now--- imo-- they're going to have to start working for sales.... and a Keeper and Scotty is just not going to do it--- imo.

Regardless,
                      Good luck to the Doc...
                      A great guy.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                        Banned
                        • Jun 23, 2001

I supported the first three waves by ordering 2 cases per wave...if this is true, and Scotty and Keeper are the next wave....I'm done. Can't support the repro Treks anymore. It's sad because I like Doc and consider him a good friend. In order for the Trek figures to go forward is to introduce new figures into the waves. One new and one old wouldn't hurt...it could only help a franchise that the collectors have lost interest in. Hate to say it but IMO if there are no new figures coming out in the near, and I mean NEAR, future then this line will go the way of the Galoob/Playmates/Art Asylum lines went...absolutely nowhere. I'm very dissapointed.

Comment

• jemboy2004
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 14, 2005

Well, I seen the Kirk and Klingon at an FYE and I was surprised at how thrilling it was to see figures like the one's I used to play with as a kid at a store and showed the 2 people with me. I almost bought them but I don't collect Star Trek now. I am very tempted to buy all of them just for the thrill of buying a mego like the one's I had as a kid again. It really was a great feeling.

I know there were the other ctv(or whatever it is called) but they were not done well. I bought maya from 1999 and was very disappointed in it and have not bought any others. The Star Trek one's are very well done. I hope they do well enough to get to the rare aliens and hopefully a few we have not seen before too.

Comment

• Hulk
                            Mayor of Megoville
                            • May 10, 2003

Now I've given the masses an opportunity to chime in, I'll add my two cents. I'm OK with this. Not ecstatic or even thrilled, but I it does make sense for now. Not every wave has to have a Talosian or Mugato, which most of us who don't have them, or want ones we can play with a bit, would have preferred. But we can always use Red Shirt sacrificial lambs and THE Keeper, although not the most authentically dressed, is still a cool sculpt.

And besides Uhura, this wraps up the original first wave, and if we see an Uhura next, it means Doc will have taken on the task of reproing the female body. I'd even suffer through a Neptunian to see that done well, and it makes sense if they are going to give us a Zira with the POTA release.

It also takes more time to do a new sculpt and get it right. Not to mention commitment from Diamond, and the fact they have extended this beyond the original announced 6 figures shows that commitment.

Let's look at what they have left after this announced release.

Crew
                            Uhura

Aliens
                            Gorn
                            Cheron
                            Neptunian
                            Mugato
                            Talosian

They either do three more waves and finish them off fairly quickly, or they could add more crew and original figures to extend it further.

After Uhura, or even instead of her if the female body is problematic, we hopefully will see Sulu and Chekov. If the female bodies work out, then Yeoman Rand and Nurse Chapel make good candidates.

All that being said, as long as someone is mass producing figures in true
                            mego scale, I will support them. I don't think we have to go crazy and expect the community to be able to single handedly carry a company. We tried that once already. We make a good base for someone to make their money back, but true profitability means it needs support from others. So far, Diamond likes what they see from all their distributors, and the Trek franchise has about as much support possible as any license outside of the superhero genre. I still have my doubts about the POTA line, but it isn't unreasonable to suspect that newer collectors will like the idea of adding that line to their new Mego Scale collection.

I have had fairly lengthy conversations and even put my thoughts in email form about what I would like to see from Diamond on this line, and others. I have made it clear that the community will only support the line so much without new figures. I've suggested selling outfits separately and alternate versions of figures (Mirror, Mirror etc). This feedback has made it beyond my sales rep, and he is obviously open to passing it along. Its not like we are saying much new here, but I don't see them investing huge amounts if the returns aren't there.

Doc, you have my continued support on these. Keep pushing for the new figures, and best of luck with the POTA line as well.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

I love the Doc and REALLY want to support these, but so far all i've seen is stuff that's been already produced and now the releases are becoming very mediocre.

I've learned long ago never to rely on faith or wishful thinking for future releases on a line.
                              Doing that just let's a person down.

These people have to pump out stuff people want now.

If not, they're going to lose something that really could be special for us -- and profitable for them.

Sorry for being blunt, but it's the way I feel.

m
                              Last edited by Mikey; Nov 1, '07, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎