PDA

View Full Version : Diamond's Next Wave of "Retro Figures" will be...

Hulk
Nov 1, '07, 12:27 PM
...more Star Trek

from an email I just received from my representative...

Looks like the Planet of the Apes figures are still a little ways off. The next retro figure release has been announced and itís Scotty and the Keeper. These will show up in the December Previews catalog. Iíll supply pics and pricing as soon as we get them.

ABMAC
Nov 1, '07, 12:41 PM
Oh, those are going to sell well. :sarky:

megoscott
Nov 1, '07, 12:43 PM
The Keeper.

dumbldor
Nov 1, '07, 2:52 PM
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess sssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikey
Nov 1, '07, 3:06 PM
Keeper ?
Not sure if that's a good idea right now for them.
IMO, they should be going for the big tough four first.

Earth 2 Chris
Nov 1, '07, 3:40 PM
Finally I can make those Martian Chronicles customs I've been lusting after!:biggrin:

Chris

The Bat
Nov 1, '07, 5:20 PM
I'll buy Them! I don't have the Keeper...or a Scotty MOC.

thunderbolt
Nov 1, '07, 5:56 PM
I might buy a Keeper, might.

Meule
Nov 1, '07, 5:56 PM
Might not be the most logical choice, but at least they're two new ones. I'm getting them for sure

KosmiCKennY
Nov 1, '07, 6:07 PM
I guess it makes sense to them since they already have the light blue bodies to use. I just hope they continue and eventually come out with NEW figures, I know, call me a dreamer.

Mikey
Nov 1, '07, 6:32 PM
Logically it makes sense, but I can't see this release going anywhere without a RINGER figure.
They were able to slip by without one in series-1 because of the NEW Honeymoon hype of the series, but now--- imo-- they're going to have to start working for sales.... and a Keeper and Scotty is just not going to do it--- imo.

Regardless,
Good luck to the Doc...
A great guy.

Blue Meanie
Nov 1, '07, 6:45 PM
I supported the first three waves by ordering 2 cases per wave...if this is true, and Scotty and Keeper are the next wave....I'm done. Can't support the repro Treks anymore. It's sad because I like Doc and consider him a good friend. In order for the Trek figures to go forward is to introduce new figures into the waves. One new and one old wouldn't hurt...it could only help a franchise that the collectors have lost interest in. Hate to say it but IMO if there are no new figures coming out in the near, and I mean NEAR, future then this line will go the way of the Galoob/Playmates/Art Asylum lines went...absolutely nowhere. I'm very dissapointed.

jemboy2004
Nov 1, '07, 6:58 PM
Well, I seen the Kirk and Klingon at an FYE and I was surprised at how thrilling it was to see figures like the one's I used to play with as a kid at a store and showed the 2 people with me. I almost bought them but I don't collect Star Trek now. I am very tempted to buy all of them just for the thrill of buying a mego like the one's I had as a kid again. It really was a great feeling.

I know there were the other ctv(or whatever it is called) but they were not done well. I bought maya from 1999 and was very disappointed in it and have not bought any others. The Star Trek one's are very well done. I hope they do well enough to get to the rare aliens and hopefully a few we have not seen before too.

Hulk
Nov 1, '07, 8:15 PM
Now I've given the masses an opportunity to chime in, I'll add my two cents. I'm OK with this. Not ecstatic or even thrilled, but I it does make sense for now. Not every wave has to have a Talosian or Mugato, which most of us who don't have them, or want ones we can play with a bit, would have preferred. But we can always use Red Shirt sacrificial lambs and THE Keeper, although not the most authentically dressed, is still a cool sculpt.

And besides Uhura, this wraps up the original first wave, and if we see an Uhura next, it means Doc will have taken on the task of reproing the female body. I'd even suffer through a Neptunian to see that done well, and it makes sense if they are going to give us a Zira with the POTA release.

It also takes more time to do a new sculpt and get it right. Not to mention commitment from Diamond, and the fact they have extended this beyond the original announced 6 figures shows that commitment.

Let's look at what they have left after this announced release.

Crew
Uhura

Aliens
Gorn
Cheron
Neptunian
Mugato
Talosian

They either do three more waves and finish them off fairly quickly, or they could add more crew and original figures to extend it further.

After Uhura, or even instead of her if the female body is problematic, we hopefully will see Sulu and Chekov. If the female bodies work out, then Yeoman Rand and Nurse Chapel make good candidates.

All that being said, as long as someone is mass producing figures in true
mego scale, I will support them. I don't think we have to go crazy and expect the community to be able to single handedly carry a company. We tried that once already. We make a good base for someone to make their money back, but true profitability means it needs support from others. So far, Diamond likes what they see from all their distributors, and the Trek franchise has about as much support possible as any license outside of the superhero genre. I still have my doubts about the POTA line, but it isn't unreasonable to suspect that newer collectors will like the idea of adding that line to their new Mego Scale collection.

I have had fairly lengthy conversations and even put my thoughts in email form about what I would like to see from Diamond on this line, and others. I have made it clear that the community will only support the line so much without new figures. I've suggested selling outfits separately and alternate versions of figures (Mirror, Mirror etc). This feedback has made it beyond my sales rep, and he is obviously open to passing it along. Its not like we are saying much new here, but I don't see them investing huge amounts if the returns aren't there.

Doc, you have my continued support on these. Keep pushing for the new figures, and best of luck with the POTA line as well.

Mikey
Nov 1, '07, 8:32 PM
I love the Doc and REALLY want to support these, but so far all i've seen is stuff that's been already produced and now the releases are becoming very mediocre.

I've learned long ago never to rely on faith or wishful thinking for future releases on a line.
Doing that just let's a person down.

These people have to pump out stuff people want now.

If not, they're going to lose something that really could be special for us -- and profitable for them.

Sorry for being blunt, but it's the way I feel.

m

txteach
Nov 1, '07, 10:56 PM
I'd do Talos and a new character, maybe chekov or Sulu. Guess we won't see new stuff until 2020 if at all. I was hoping to buy a replica Zira for $20 instead of getting an original off of ebay for $15:yes:. Ya, right.

The Bat
Nov 2, '07, 7:09 AM
Well...Scotty is one of the higher priced Crew Members MOC.

Yes....I too was hoping for Checkov & Sulu, or the Neptunian. But hey...I don't have a keeper, and at least the Star Trek line is still continuing.

huedell
Nov 2, '07, 7:13 AM
it'd be interesting to hear exactly why they chose these two characters as opposed to
replicas of the more rare aliens or producing new ones like Sulu etc.

LadyZod
Nov 2, '07, 8:12 AM
Probably went with these two because...crew and alien wave design.

Only one crew member left without having to invest too much in a new body, accessories or outfit. So ya, that's Scotty.

And the Keeper? Well, look at the rest:

Gorn-could have been made since all they would need is a head... but him or the Keeper? You chose. Brady Gorn is far too much to sculpt to be considered an easy add on.
Cheron-outfit and black body? (If keeping to the original) gotta hope the black doesn't leak into the suit. Perhaps it would take a little more development before it's ready?(I would opt for a white body to avoid all that, but you know...)
Neptunian-feet, hands, outfit... too much for a quickie.
Mugato-crazy outfit
Talosian-different scale body

With the Keeper? Head and one piece mumu. The guy's barefoot and goes commando. Cheap to produce and is weird looking for the kiddies. No wonder he got the nod.

huedell
Nov 2, '07, 8:29 AM
Cheap to produce and is weird looking for the kiddies. No wonder he got the nod.

Sounds about right. Too bad though---maybe they'll be more ambitious next time around.

Sulu and Chekov can't be that hard to piece together from thier resources

ScottA
Nov 2, '07, 8:44 AM
I agree with what Hulk said. I figured we'd have to get through at least the crew before something new was even mentioned. But I think it's a good sign something has been stated past the first 3 announced sets. I'm actually looking forward to the Neptunian. I've bought 2 sets the others so far and will buy 2 sets of these and any others after them. I'm behind you Doc.

mars396
Nov 2, '07, 8:52 AM
not all that hard to figure out why these two were chosen.

Scottie (sic) - a no-brainer. The same three figures already released with a different head and a red shirt.

Keeper - the blue bodies are currently being mass-produced for the Andorian, so, a new head and a simple robe - voila: probably the easiest of all the Trek Megos to repro.

I am definitely getting a Keeper: due to its non-canon-ness I SOLD mine at a garage sale in 1984 for $1.50. Now, I can correct that mistake. And I will buy a bunch of Scotties for custom Red Shirts. I predict for that reason, the Scotties will outsell all other DST Retro Cloth figures released. I hope they are more heavily packed than the Keepers.

ABMAC
Nov 2, '07, 8:57 AM
Mugato-crazy outfit

Outfits are not an obstacle. Mugato's suit is just a shirt and pants with fringe. He has ape hands and ape feet that will require new molds, though.

huedell
Nov 2, '07, 9:45 AM
not all that hard to figure out why these two were chosen.

Scottie (sic) - a no-brainer. The same three figures already released with a different head and a red shirt.

In that vein of thought, wouldn't it have been even EASIER to make Sulu and Chekov?

jds1911a1
Nov 2, '07, 2:18 PM
In that vein of thought, wouldn't it have been even EASIER to make Sulu and Chekov?
Doc has been producing red shirts for years this is just ramping up production.
For sulu and checkov that depends on the head sculpting. Since most of the repro heads (including docs I believe) are based on a shrunk playmates head that sculpt my not be one they can use for a licensed item. So it might be cheaper to use the exact old mego head molds

I have said this before but I will say it again here. What a mego collector wants and what can sell to a Mass market aren't always the same. In this wave Keeper is a somewhat less common vintage mego so the chances of general sales go up. Scotty is the top of the second tier crew so he has salability to the general market who collect Startrek or remember their Scotty from their childhood but have never bought a mego on ebay. If all Doc was doing was making dolls for our cummunity a distributor like diamond wouldn't have bought it.

Wal mart is selling repros of the Adventure team joes. half of these have had reproductions in the recent past but among the joe collector club and hasbro's store exclusives (meijer, hot topi, urban outfitters) but they opted to marked all 5 to a mass audience to get more than just hardcore Joe collectors.

if the next wave of EMCE Star trek isn't what you want then just don't buy it. Sadly the reality is we aren't a large enough population to support a line with a reasonable price point without mass appeal.

huedell
Nov 2, '07, 5:22 PM
if the next wave of EMCE Star trek isn't what you want then just don't buy it.

No problem there

txteach
Nov 2, '07, 6:10 PM
Without new figures this line is going to die. Stop revamping already made figures. We ask for new figures and we get already produced crew members and a promise of more. While we wait patiently it's announced more rehashing. I will buy the aliens I couldn't afford as megos and anything NEW but no more rehashed crew.

The Bat
Nov 2, '07, 8:48 PM
Can't wait to own a MOC Scotty!!:wink_y:

rikitikitavi
Nov 2, '07, 9:25 PM
I think we must recall that Paul Clarke is licensed under Diamond to make reproductions. He is not making a new collectors line. These are being aimed at more people than just us.

dumbldor
Nov 3, '07, 1:00 AM
I do not remember Paul Clarke promising new characters. If he did, someone please point out where he said it.

txteach
Nov 3, '07, 1:33 AM
Did someone state he promised new figures? I think many of us hope he makes new ones. I for one think new figures are a good idea for the mego collector. I know we are not the only ones buying these but I do think we need to be considered when the decision is made on what to make. I wish Paul the utmost success in his venture to reproduce the figures. I for one agree with the sentiment that if you don't like what is being produced don't buy them. I have an original Scotty thats nice but my keeper needs some work. I may buy a keeper for parts but as I have said before, I can't see buying many figures that are out there already very plentiful. As a poor guy I am excited to finally get the Romulan and Andorian even though they aren't originals.

huedell
Nov 3, '07, 4:51 AM
and I will agree with the sentiment that its too bad for savvy collectors
when good effort is put into something other other than replicas of the more
pricey figures

The Bat
Nov 3, '07, 6:09 AM
I do not remember Paul Clarke promising new characters. If he did, someone please point out where he said it.

He didn't promise...but He did say He knows what We want, and that Checkov & Sulu are possibilitie's.

drmego
Nov 3, '07, 9:44 AM
I can't say much YET - but soon I will be free to speak.

In the meantime, my heartfelt thanks to the people here who
support this effort and can understand what the reality is
that Diamond Select Toys has to work within.

When the announcement about 2008 production is released,
you will be pleased. Until then, have a little faith.

HardyGirl
Nov 3, '07, 3:28 PM
Some of us still have faith in you, Paul. I'm just glad you're doing what you can to keep the spirit of Mego alive! Now if we only had the Mission to Gamma VI playset, Mego life would be sweet!:yes::wink_y:

huedell
Nov 3, '07, 4:41 PM
Listen, just because people are commenting on the choices here as if they'd like
some other routes taken---it doesn't mean they are anti-Paul or anti-EMCE
---nothing to get ruffled about----just conversation

Personally, I always keep faith in these situations--- and really until the Fat Lady sings
too (and I think that's what most collectors here feel as well, although they may not
feel it necessary to articulate that)

Laparka
Nov 3, '07, 8:18 PM
I'll buy them all. I'm a collector, so that's what I do...collect. If that's what they put out for me to buy, then that's where my cash goes. Usually Big Bad Toy Store. Can't get them in my area without going on-line.

Mr Mego
Nov 4, '07, 4:43 PM
I'll collect 'em ALL!!!!!!!!!! :yes: Thanks for let us know Paul!

Sandlantern
Nov 5, '07, 9:18 AM
Keep 'em coming Paul!!

You make...I buy.

ramsey37
Nov 5, '07, 9:38 AM
Cool, I'll buy multiple Keepers! He was always one of my favorite Alien figures, and this way I can afford to build an army of them :)
George
PS: Any pics available yet of these?

DocDrako
Nov 8, '07, 6:16 PM
I'll buy them all!

:grin:

Werewolf
Nov 8, '07, 7:30 PM
Pics of Scotty and the Keeper on Diamond's site

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/article.asp?ai=63093

rikitikitavi
Nov 9, '07, 12:22 AM
I'm sorry to see they're still advertising the clamshell. I really wish they would go to just a carded figure instead of resealable clamshell. It's more business for them.

The Bat
Nov 9, '07, 6:51 AM
I'm sorry to see they're still advertising the clamshell. I really wish they would go to just a carded figure instead of resealable clamshell. It's more business for them.

AGREED! I HATE the re-sealable Clamshell! Plus the Card is really thin stock Cardboard.:please_y:

Lynn TXP 0369
Nov 9, '07, 7:05 AM
Without new figures this line is going to die. Stop revamping already made figures.

Thats a very naive comment to make.
Your forgetting the millions of people that never even heard of of know about ST MEGO figures that can potentially keep this line alive and well.

They will be/are taping into this generations population of Star Trek fans and collectors that "hope fully" will see these figures and say, "Hey, these are cool." and buy them.

Sure they would love to see the old time collectors get and support this line, but it will be the combination of new and old blood that will keep this line alive.
There are going to be a lot of 1st time buyers for these figures just because they are ST.
Lynn

Mikey
Nov 9, '07, 3:08 PM
Thats a very naive comment to make.
Your forgetting the millions of people that never even heard of of know about ST MEGO figures that can potentially keep this line alive and well.

In my opinion,
The millions of people that never even heard of of know about ST MEGO figures will not care about Keeper.
They'll say, "who the heck is that" ?

It's just my opinion here,
But I think MEGO people's wants need to be catered to above all others.

I really can't see many other people buying these except us.

Right now,
The Star Trek collectible market is just about dead.
Perhaps the new movie may revive it, but who knows.

I've noticed for the last few years ...
Trek just isn't IN anymore.

Maybe i'm wrong.

txteach
Nov 9, '07, 3:10 PM
Really, naive?I think not. These figures are not in walmart or target and will not get the exposure many other figures do. Also, star trek has lost much of its fan base with nothing new out recently. Lynn, before you throw out words like "naive" please have a well thought out comment or reason why. Just saying that star trek is popular or that someone will buy because they remember mego isn't enough. Most star trek fans do not run into hobby shops to buy figures. Most just shop at their local walmart or target.

WilRadcliffe
Nov 9, '07, 5:08 PM
I don't know if I'd agree with the comments about Star Trek not being hot. Right now there is HUGE mainstream buzz about JJ Abrams' new Star Trek movie. Whether or not the movie delivers, we'll have to wait and see. But Star Trek is as big now as it's ever been. People are really looking forward to this movie. Plus, Simon Pegg as Scotty! How cool is that?

Star Trek (2008) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/)

Plus, as Mego enthusiasts we have to appreciate the irony that the dude who is relaunching the Trek franchise is named "Abrams"! :D

BlackKnight
Nov 9, '07, 7:48 PM
Is Doc gonna make figures for the movie ?

jemboy2004
Nov 9, '07, 8:11 PM
plus I've seen these being sold at FYE, which is like a suncoast store. They sell DVD's, CD's and all kinds of stuff like and it's a big chain and everyone goes to stores like that. I've head they may even being selling these at newbury comics which is another big chain.

Captain
Nov 9, '07, 10:55 PM
I dont care if they are only selling these out of a potato sack down by the river, I'll buy them all, if for no other reason than to support Paul.....and of course being a Trek nut might also have something to do with this.

As for marketability....granted Kirk and the Klingon are pretty well known, but all the local comic and hobby shops here sold out in a matter of days. One local hobby shop owner even had a second wave arrive, and it sold quite well also.....Who bought them? Twentysomethings....Yep, according to the guys at Chinook Hobbies, most of the buyers were essentially kids. I would have expected folks my age.....Funny thing is, this is the same age group who bought the few CTVT figure lines Chinook brought in as well. I assume it may have something to do with the Mego comic strips in toy Fare, or maybe just a younger audience who knows how much the originals are worth (or what they think they are worth) and saw this as a chance to get into the Mego collectors market cheap....who knows?

The Bat
Nov 10, '07, 7:44 AM
I've head they may even being selling these at newbury comics which is another big chain.

Yup! My local Newbury Comics carried them...but they weren't around long...they sold out FAST!

The Toyroom
Nov 10, '07, 8:09 AM
Is Doc gonna make figures for the movie ?

I'm assuming that would have to require a separate license, so probably not...

apes3978
Nov 12, '07, 1:32 AM
These figures are not in walmart or target and will not get the exposure many other figures do. Also, star trek has lost much of its fan base with nothing new out recently.

You're right about them not being as exposed to the general public, but as far as saying TREK lost much of it's fan base due to nothing coming out latley, that may be true as well..... BUT, then again, if those folks suddenly drop ST cause of that, then they're fair weather fans at best...

If you're a true fan of any franchise, you'll support it whether it's "trendy", fashionable", "in", or whatever... That doesn't mean that you have to run out and buy everything that is released on it, all I'm saying is that you don't just lose interest totally if you're really into something... You may take a break for awhile, but something may spark the interest again big time... These re-issues of ST may just do that to some people...

The Bat
Nov 12, '07, 6:56 AM
all I'm saying is that you don't just lose interest totally if you're really into something... You may take a break for awhile, but something may spark the interest again big time... These re-issues of ST may just do that to some people...

And My Local Newbury Cominc selling out of Them fast, is certainly a good example of that...it's a young Crowd that goes there.

rikitikitavi
Nov 12, '07, 7:54 PM
There are indeed many more collectors out there than on this site. Perhaps our vision is becoming narrow because we are on this site. Not every Mego collector has to like us or want go talk with us. . . .Of course, they probably have problems if they don't like us. :enraged:

The Bat
Nov 12, '07, 8:07 PM
There are indeed many more collectors out there than on this site. Perhaps our vision is becoming narrow because we are on this site. Not every Mego collector has to like us or want go talk with us.

That's an interesting point...You may have something there.

BlackcoatCowboy
Nov 12, '07, 11:00 PM
Im glad your store is selling them. Mine only sells only the Kirk figure.

Other specialty store ordered six cases and have sold up to a half case.

And My Local Newbury Cominc selling out of Them fast, is certainly a good example of that...it's a young Crowd that goes there.

rikitikitavi
Nov 13, '07, 11:49 AM
Am I the only one who suspects something . . ? :juggleyes_y:

rikitikitavi
Nov 13, '07, 3:27 PM
A riddle:

Out of 10 witnesses 9 say one thing and one says something opposite.

Who got off a Barmy Springs?

txteach
Nov 13, '07, 3:29 PM
Did you go down the rabbit hole with Alice? I'm still confused. :ugh_y:

rikitikitavi
Nov 13, '07, 8:21 PM
Sorry, "at Barmy Springs."

Barmy -- English slang for crazy.

txteach
Nov 13, '07, 10:10 PM
All I know is they never taught me that word in English class.:grin:

Meule
Nov 14, '07, 4:01 AM
And I still don't get it :please_y:

jds1911a1
Nov 14, '07, 9:16 AM
Sorry, "at Barmy Springs."

Barmy -- English slang for crazy.

I think the word you want is "balmy" but I can understand where you thought it was barmy if you've only heard is spoken by someone using the queen's english
balmy - Definitions from Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/balmy)

WilRadcliffe
Nov 14, '07, 8:30 PM
If he's refering to crazy, he obviously means that the next wave of Trek figures will be Commadore Matthew Decker and The Squire of Gothos!

If he starts making references to tricksters and cheats we can expect Harry Mudd and Rick Berman.

rikitikitavi
Nov 14, '07, 10:43 PM
Balmy may be American customizing of Barmy. But Barmy is the correct English. Balmy means nice weather. Barmy means nuts.

jds1911a1
Nov 14, '07, 10:52 PM
Balmy may be American customizing of Barmy. But Barmy is the correct English. Balmy means nice weather. Barmy means nuts.

gotta love it we are 2 people separated by a common language hence why none of us YANKS got the joke