X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Stuff I saw at a toyshow

I got up waaaay too early this morning to check out a toyshow, I go to toyshows regularly despite the fact that I almost never make a purchase. It's more of the experience of being in a room full of neat stuff, thought I'd start sharing. My phone has a camera and as you can see, it sucks, sorry:

I was shocked to find three Ideal Scare Cycles in such nice shape, I kind of think the dealer was shocked I knew what they were. I should have gone home with that Dracula, I'm an idiot.

There must have been a small find of these Evel Knievel sets because every other dealer seemed to have one, it was pretty crazy to see that many MOC in such a small space.

Ah Mego Kristy McNichol! In my younger days I'd have taken you home, dealer was willing to go down to $25 and I still passed.

This comic display took me to a happy, happy place...

Oh how the mighty have fallen, Playmates Star Trek were the absolute BOMB in the mid 1990s and it seems like every single collector just gave up at once.

This $80 boxed Mego Fonzi was probably double it's street value but it was the Canadian version which made my OCD senses tingle but I resisted, as usual...

More Toyshow hijinx soon and I promise to bring a better camera...
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

wow! it seems like there's a toy show almost every month where you live!! lucky!!

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

It goes in spurts, if I'm willing to drive more I could go every weekend. Now I'm stuck until March...
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• geoffdude
        Banned
        • Apr 18, 2009

Oh how the mighty have fallen, Playmates Star Trek were the absolute BOMB in the mid 1990s and it seems like every single collector just gave up at once.
        I think the 1701 debacle was the beginning of the end for that line. Once most of the Trek collectors couldn't have a complete set anymore they left in droves... myself included. Awe Playmates... text book example of how to kill the lein.

Regards,

Geoff

Comment

• geoffdude
          Banned
          • Apr 18, 2009

BTW, real, physical, Toy Shows have gone the way of the Dodo bird where I live. We have a huge bi-weekly collectible meet (Frank and Sons) in my area that probably contributed to their demise, as well as EBAY, etc..

I miss them, they were a fun way to kill a Sunday, and find a deal here and there. Oh well, there's always the 'net.

Regards,

Geoff

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I go to every one within an hours drive just to support them, attendance is really up these days.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Wow, neat stuff! There's nothing like the rush of a toy show, is there? Just being surrounded by all that vintage-y goodness...that slight basement aroma...memories just come flooding back and it makes you feel good all over...even if you don't buy anything. But it kills you not to! (Trust me I know!) But sometimes, a dealer will take pity on you, and get you a great deal, or stow it for you until the next toy show, knowing you'll be back! (I know about that too!)
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

That comix rack is pretty fun; as is the sandcrawler and boxed shuttle behind it.

Comment

• wilbs518
                  Mego Collector
                  • Jul 25, 2009

Great stuff. I have the same comic rack.
                  sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

Cool stuff there. Would be so fun to go to.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Neat! Thanks for sharing the pics. It must be a blast to still be able to go to actual toy shows.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• LadyZod
                        Superman's Gal Pal
                        • Jan 27, 2007

I live in old fogeyville so the closest thing we get is a crappy fleamarket they old ladies sell doilies or cowboy stuff.

We always have to drive a couple of hrs into Tampa, Orlando or godforbid Miami for a comic or toy show.

Luckily those are spread around as to allow funds to build up.
                        Last edited by LadyZod; Jan 30, '11, 2:15 PM.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                        Check out my art:
                        Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                        Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• starsky
                          veteran member
                          • Aug 26, 2007

i'm hoping shows make a comeback! in my area there's only 3 toy shows a year and the wondercon.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

I don't think there's been anything half way decent around here since the Huntsville Star Trek Con way back when. We get a small mall show every once in a blue moon and that's it.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

This is one of the smaller toy shows, so I was really surprised by the attendance. It was a pretty crowded hall.

The only thing I was REALLY interested in was the comic rack, but he wasn't selling it.

Bought a Hasbro Martian Manhunter and a 12" GI Joe for five bucks each from the guy blowing out the Star Trek figures. Plus a CTVT Brady Bunch Bobby from the doll table, and an orange jumpsuit from the vintage GI Joe guy on stage. All for customs.
                              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎