• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoNinja
    Career Member
    • Feb 7, 2007

Do Mego 'proof' cards exist?

Hello everyone,

Being a big vintage Star Wars fan I see thing's for sale all the time on eBay etc. One part of vintage Star Wars I see a lot is people buying 'proof' cards, unused cards for vintage figures that have no printing on the back of them.
    My question is, why isn't there proof cards being sold that are from Mego? Do they even exist?
    I the Monster Hero
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

I've seen Thundarr and Greatest American Hero proof cards.

Comment

• MegoNinja
      Career Member
      • Feb 7, 2007

GAH must be worth a whole heap. Shouldnt WGSH proof cards exist, since they are the most popular line?
      I the Monster Hero

Comment

• jemboy2004
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 14, 2005

they should exist but seems most have been destoryed and/or undiscovered as of yet. I have not heard of even one proof card from the WGSH line yet.

Comment

• ABMAC
          User
          • May 16, 2002

The WGSH proof cards were probably destroyed when they weren't needed any more.

Star Wars collectors compete with each other for some of the stupidest garbage.

Comment

• MegoNinja
            Career Member
            • Feb 7, 2007

its funny that Mego and vintage Star Wars were around during the same time and there is huge amount's star wars proof cards floating around yet there is virtually no mego one's at all. I know the arguement "most of been destroyed" seems pretty valid as they are bits of cardboard so one can imagine people throwing them out, but then why did the world treat the star wars one's with such respect?
            I the Monster Hero

Comment

• ABMAC
              User
              • May 16, 2002

Star Wars collectors might treat them with respect but the rest of the world doesn't care.

Kenner was a fledgling company that took on a license it wasn't really prepared to handle. When employees saw how popular the toys were becoming, they started pilfering everything they could get their hands on. Mego was run by professionals who didn't swoon over their own product.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I have the proof card for the Pocket Heroes Captain America, there isn't even a punch hole. Kenner was still in business when collectors started knocking on doors, Mego was a memory, probably a lot of this stuff ended up in dumpsters.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MegoGeek
                  From The Black Lagoon
                  • Jun 27, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I have the proof card for the Pocket Heroes Captain America, there isn't even a punch hole. Kenner was still in business when collectors started knocking down the doors, Mego was a memory, probably a lot of this stuff ended up in dumpsters.
                  So true.

A large majority of the SW proof cards you see were from ROTJ or POTF which was 1983-85.

You don't see many 12/20/21 back proof cards which would fall more into the Mego WGSH carded era of 1977-79.

Many would say that the modern "collector mentality" era started around 1980with the establishment of the comics direct market with help from JOhn Byrne and Frank Miller. Around that same time the baseball card hobby was just starting to boom as a secondary market collectible.

Personally I refer to anything that came out after 1980 as the "dead era" of collectibles.
                  Last edited by MegoGeek; Nov 1, '07, 9:07 PM.
                  ______
                  ChArLiE

Comment

• MegoNinja
                    Career Member
                    • Feb 7, 2007

thanks for the responses guys, I think you are all right about people not taking interest until 1980 or so, I have seen loads of Power of the Force proof card but I dont think I have ever seen a 12 back (1978) card or an Empire Strikes Back (1980) proof cards, just POTF and ROTJ.
                    How much would WGSH proof cards go for any way? Should any exist that is.
                    I the Monster Hero

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>How much would WGSH proof cards go for any way? Should any exist that is

Interesting question. They'd be UBER-rare, but would collectors fight over them? Star Wars had a huge audience at the time, so I can see a lot of pilfering from emplyees: either 'cos they were fans themselves or because they wanted in on the ground floor of a "cultural phenomenon." But the Superheroes were considered kids stuff for the most part at the time, so I could see them not being treated as "objects du-history." (Pardon my French.) So most of the pre-shots were probably pitched.

But that was then; I could see a small group of collectors being interested, but collectors tend to obsess and would no doubt be turned off by not being able to amass a full set.

So ultimately I guess I have no idea.

I'll just leave now.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Due to their rarity and the fact that it would only take two people to make an auction go up, any WGSH proof card would most likely have a very high price. Multiples may not, it's hard to say.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MegoNinja
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Due to their rarity and the fact that it would only take two people to make an auction go up, any WGSH proof card would most likely have a very high price. Multiples may not, it's hard to say.
                          that's what I was thinking, if one would spring up it would take two people (or half the people from this forum) to find it and either get a bidding "high" or a few people might over estimate it's value and really go all out for it.
                          I guess I will forget proof cards and just focus on cards that actually have toy's stuck to them.
                          I the Monster Hero

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎