Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love the 80s! AKA more of my weird crap.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I love the 80s! AKA more of my weird crap.

I think of my collections as kind of an Island of Misfits toys in a way. Weird old forgotten lines from the 80s that most people don't want or even give a crap about. But I still love 'em. Mix in funky 80s toys gimmicks like glow weapons, translucent plastic and holograms and I am SO there.

Crystar the Crystal Warrior. Translucenty plastic goodness! The Marvel comic was pretty good too.

Supernaturals by Tonka. Action figures of ghosts with holograms and glow in the dark weapons. What's not to like? You probably can't really tell from the pic but the Holograms on these work great. Very cool.

Fighting Terrans and Fighting Glowgons sets from Arco's The Other World line. Star Wars size MOTU wannabes with glow weapons.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

I'm glad I was outta toys by that period....lots of weird stuff in the 80s
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• wilbs518
      Mego Collector
      • Jul 25, 2009

Great toys! I love Crystar.
      sigpic

Comment

• MLoudin
        Possessed by Megos
        • Sep 13, 2007

Awesome!!!

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

Can anyone share more about the Supernaturals? I don't know that line but it looks great.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Falstaff13
            Can anyone share more about the Supernaturals? I don't know that line but it looks great.
            Sure. They were made by Tonka in 1987.

The name of the figures in my pic from left ot right are Heroic Warriors Eagle Eye, Thunder Bolt, Lionheart and Evil Warriors Burnheart, Snakebite and Skull. There is also a set six smaller Ghostlings figures, which are kind of like little ghost pets for the figures, Tomb of Doom playset and a monster truck vehicle.

Their chest pieces, which are usually missing, also come off and reveal more of their holograms. I'll try to get a really clear pic up later of one of them with the chest piece off so you can see the full hologram.

The story from the cardbacks: The Tomb of Doom is opened after hundreds of years. Heroic and Evil Warriors with strange, mysterious powers escape from their spirit world. Set loose upon the Earth, can the world survive the battles of the...SUPERNATURALS
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• mazinz
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by Werewolf
              I think of my collections as kind of an Island of Misfits toys in a way. Weird old forgotten lines from the 80s that most people don't want or even give a crap about. But I still love 'em. Mix in funky 80s toys gimmicks like glow weapons, translucent plastic and holograms and I am SO there.

Preserving Mego history today, making Mego history tomorrow.

Crystar the Crystal Warrior. Translucenty plastic goodness! The Marvel comic was pretty good too.

Supernaturals by Tonka. Action figures of ghosts with holograms and glow in the dark weapons. What's not to like? You probably can't really tell from the pic but the Holograms on these work great. Very cool.

Preserving Mego history today, making Mego history tomorrow.

Fighting Terrans and Fighting Glowgons sets from Arco's The Other World line. Star Wars size MOTU wannabes with glow weapons.
              I love Crystar and I loved the Other worlds line (I still have quite a few items from both of those collections).

I too like the translucent/colored plastic. If you have a dollar tree you should check them out. They have these generic super hero/power ranger looking figures, all translucent colors and they go under various names (the ones I have go by Super Samurai Warriors)
              "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• jacoblb
                Persistent Member
                • May 7, 2009

Wow, very cool toys. I remember Crystar, but only vaguely the Supernatural ones. I don't recall The Other World at all. But I probably had tunnel vision as a kid being obsessed over Star Wars, GI Joe, and MOTU.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                  MeGoing
                  • May 14, 2003

I like those, just because they are different. I love holograms too. Mmm shiney.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Here's a close up of Skull's hologram from Supernaturals. The image changes between kind of a Zombie Pirate and a Skeleton when you turn it.

Spooky!!
                    Last edited by Werewolf; Jan 29, '11, 9:14 PM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

I remember the Other World guys. My brother had them. They were cool.
                      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

If anyone else wants to share their obscure 80s toys memories, please feel free to post away! I love this stuff.

Comment

• Sandman9580
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 16, 2010

Great pictures! I always love these '80s toy posts!

Never had a Supernaturals fig, but I remember seeing them around. At the time the flat hologram front left me a little cold -- like the toy company was "cheating" somehow by not actually sculpting them. But now when I look at 'em I think they're brilliant. Very cool, very creative. I think the other reason I never wanted them was that I was a real wimp and wasn't into "monster" stuff when I was a kid (unless you count Real Ghostbusters, which I loved. I needed comedy with my horror. ). Anyway, that's another real irony because nowadays I love monsters and horror movies.

Funny how things change.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Tigersharks, now, you don't get much more obscure than this. An ill fated atempt by LJN and Rankin Bass to try and recreate their earlier success with Thundercats. The cartoon was sort of like Thundercats, but, you know, with sharks.

The main gimmicks with these figures were head changing action features (for the heroes) and water squirting weapons.

Last edited by Werewolf; Jan 29, '11, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• MLoudin
                              Possessed by Megos
                              • Sep 13, 2007

Very cool figures, I don't remember these...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎