X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DocDrako
    Formerly Doc Drako
    • Nov 11, 2004

Queen News Of The World Artwork

One of my favorite rock albums is Queen's "News Of The World". My older brother had the album in the 70's and I used to stare at the cover for the longest time. I really like the artwork.

I found out recently that the cover art was based on some sci fi artwork. So here's a shot of the album...

and the sci fi art...

Roger Taylor had a copy of the October 1953 issue of Astounding Science Fiction, whose cover-art depicted a giant robot holding the dead body of a man. The caption read: "Please... fix it, Daddy?" to illustrate the story "The Gulf Between" by Tom Godwin. The robot killing the man was likened to a child injuring a bug and looking up at his parents saying "what have I done?". The painting inspired the band to contact Frank Kelly Freas (the sci-fi artist who painted the image) who agreed to alter the painting for their album cover, by replacing the single dead man with the four "dead" band members. (Info coutesy of Wikipedia)

This may not be news to some members, but I just thought I'd share this for those who didn't already know. There's a link at the bottom to a site that shows a garage kit model of the original artwork, and a couple links for those who want more info on Queen and Frank Kelly Freas.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

Cool bit of info. I had no idea.

Comment

• Thundarr
      Banned
      • Apr 23, 2007

Great album, GREAT cover....the fold-out inside is ever cooler...as a kid the cover and inner flaps scared and disturbed me.....

I want that robot as a custom, and some 'generic human' Megos he can grip like that...

Joe

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎