X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

Is there a market for Vintage Games?

Most arcade game places I go to with my kids are basically gambling games...stick in a token..push a button, ball drops, tickets dispensed and I just spend $1.00 on a small tootsie roll. The odd part is that my kids don't even feel that they have been cheated.

Recently, I purchased a vintage Kiss pinball machine. I love it and worth every penny. Not only are the graphics incredible but it is a game of skill. My 10 year old is hooked on it and feels the same sense of frustration at the same age. I was really shocked to watch him play it because I have never watched him play a game that made him feel glory and defeat unlike most every game on any console. We even make bets now. Winner has to call the other "Magi" for a day. Double or nothing and it is "Magi Johnson"...and then the days double from there. If you can score 100,000 on the machine, that's pretty good and anything above is pretty diffcult. My 10 year old is really good so I don't cut him any slack. i love to see the emotions go crazy when the ball moves randomly out of our control. I have realized (now that I have owned it) that there is a magnet that pulls the ball in the way that you don't want it to go...which is pure brilliance. I swear a $.25 game will sometimes last less than a minute.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty
  • meinvw
    • Jan 27, 2011

i would love an old pinball machine! Like a lot out there have all the old consols and the new but the older games just cannot be beat. Have a converted upright arcade at my shop (big mistake play more than work!) but it has 60 classic games Galaga, all The Donkey Kongs and Pac-mans, plus a ton of others. Everytime my grandaughter comes over (2.5) she only asks for Cherries, which means she wants to play Pac-man!!
    There is definatly a market for them, eventually I want another with more games and some pin-pballs as well. I have all the classic games on ps but just not the same. My biggest complaint on the newer consoles is the controller, i grew up using a joy stick and 2-4 buttons. Just do not have the dexterity to handle 1200 combos at once!! Enjoy your PBM, sounds like a great score!

Comment

• TrueDave
      Toy Maker
      • Jan 12, 2008

Theres a place about 10 minutes away that has a INCREDIBLE collection. The licenced pinball games are GREAT! DR WHO ???? Great Prices.

BUT: Too heavy, too big , and too much repair.

I learned my lesson in the 1980s whemn I tried to buy the sit down Star Trek game !!!!!

Comment

• vancegeoffmen
        • Mar 3, 2011

a couple places in my town do second hand games for all systems, one of the last surviving arcades that happens to also be intown does work with arcade stuff.
        Welcome to Star Worlds Arcade Online
        They even have the only existing prototype cabinet of the Judge Dredd Midway beat-em-up game.
        Check out http://www.neo-fighters.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎