X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Bat Plane Memories

New to the AHI Batman Rack Toys Gallery is this fun little plane which in 1976, caused my grandmother much duress. As a kid, I was often baby sat by her on Saturdays while she worked in her store, this usually meant a trip to Woolco and a cheap "shut up toy" of this ilk.

Upon buying this very toy, I promptly shot it into the then bustling crowds of the Whitby mall, causing my normally good natured Grandmother's head to explode, seriously this was the first and maybe one of five times I've seen her blow her stack. She was so ****ed she returned the thing. I remember at five years of age thinking that action was deserved.

Sadly, these days I could probably land the actual bat plane into the same mall and not hit a soul...

Explore the Wonder World of Azrak Hamway
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Great story Brian. I can imagine my grandparents (and parents) reacting the same way. All kids lose their minds from time to time.

We have a similar mall in Lexington, KY that is now closed. But even before that, you could have filmed a Romero zombie picture in there and not disturbed anyone.

I never had that Batplane, but I did have the nifty gyro-Batcopter. I loved that thing! Had a Spidey one as well.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Hehehehe, great story.
      I would've had hours upon hours of fun with this if I had had this as a kid. Hell, I'd play with it now as well if I had one
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Oddly enough I went to that mall yesterday to pick up a drive, I stood exactly where I shot the plane into the crowd. There wasn't one person there save for some retailers, kind of eery and sad considering I spent my childhood there.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

Cool story. I too had this toy and loved it.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

Sounds like your Grandmother was a darling Brian. Great story, I love the launcher on it.

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
              Web Wobbler
              • May 12, 2007

Great stuff.

Two of the three malls my family frequented during my childhood are gone or sit empty.
              Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
              Good Trader List

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 1, 2005

I think these rack toys are some of the greatest toys ever, even though they were cheap and such. I had so many of these and got alot of playtime out of 'em.

My aunt Rose used to babysit me much of the time when I was young, and it was often tough to get her to buy me a cheap rack toy when we'd walk a few blocks up to the Ben Franklin. I'd plead for her to get me a parachuting Batman or Superman or Spiderman, and finally she'd give in. And inevitably, every time I got one, within the hour it'd either wind up stuck in one of the many trees near my house, or it'd land on the pavement and the brittle figure would crack. Eventually she refused to buy me any new rack toys because she thought I was just abusing them and misusing them *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎