• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Afaninfull
    Museum Super Collector
    • Nov 23, 2010

Best paint question

Hi guys,

I'm hoping an expert can help a newbie out with a question.

I want to convert a Shazam head into a Peter Parker. I thought I would paint Shazam's hair brown and eyes blue. My question is what paint works best? I went to Michaels Craft store and looked at what they carry which was Testors as well as various acrylic paint. I'm hoping someone can share some advice.

Thank you so much!
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

You cannot go wrong with Games Workshop acrylic paints. They are much more expensive than anything you'll get at Michael's, however.

The bottom line is you get what you pay for.
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• jessica
      fortune favors the bold
      • Nov 5, 2007

I think the more expensive paints offer the finer ground pigments. $1 paint and expensive paint is like night and day.
      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
        Formerly known as Del
        • Dec 12, 2004

If you go with Testors, make sure it's their acrylic and not enamel. A lot of stores around here only carry their enamels, but I recently got a basic set of the Testor's acrylics and am looking forward to trying them. I also have used a brand called Liquitex. I usually thin it with water and apply thin layers. They're a little pricey, but I painted a few heads with that and liked the results. Like others have said, you get what you pay for. I've been happier since I skipped the craft paints that sell for $1 and got the nicer stuff.
        Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
        https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
        http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Afaninfull
          Museum Super Collector
          • Nov 23, 2010

Thank you so much for all your advice. I'll look for Games Workshop as I know of a big hobby shop in Ft. Lauderdale. It's 45 minutes away so I may not get there until next weekend or I'll look online. As this is my first kit bash, it sounds like a good place to begin and as I get more experienced, I'll try layers with liquitex. Sounds like a good option for flesh?

Thanks again for all your support. I'm loving the museum.

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>You cannot go wrong with Games Workshop acrylic paints.

They're good, but there are a lot of other brands just as good. Reaper makes good stuff. Formula P3 from Privateer is really good. The Testors acrylics aren't bad; but they're kinda thin. All of these are fragile, so you'll HAVE to seal them, and even after you might not want to handle them too much.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎