X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

Need help identifying an odd mid-80's motorized vehicle

I guess it would would help if I had a picture of this toy, but I don't. I'll try to describe it the best I can.

Back around 1984 or 1985, there was this unusual, brown, battery-operated "space tank" toy, that- I think, was an one-off. I remember my mom buying it for me from Gimbels. On the cover of the box of the toy, it had a picture of a Kenner TIE fighter pilot riding in it's "cockpit" (which is strange, since this wasn't a Star Wars toy, nor was it made by Kenner). I remember thinking, as a kid, that it kind of seemed generic, there wasn't a line of figures or other vehicles to go along with it.

Several years ago, some toy collector website featured some catalogs from J.C. Penny's or Sears that featured this toy in its Christmas toy section. I really wish I made a note of what it was. Then, a year or so later, another toy collector site that featured some oddball, obscure (Japanese?) toys, had a picture of it, along with several other similar vehicles. Which got me thinking that the toy I got from Gimbels was a bootleg, or knockoff some sort.

I have long since parted ways with the toy. But, I'm really curious what it was, and if there are more like it, or if it is from a line of toys imported from Asia.

I tried using google, but I really couldn't find the right search words. It really was like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Which leads me back to here. I was wondering if anyone here had this toy, or know what it is...? I can't remember if it had motorized wheels on the bottom or if the "treads" on the side flipped-over as it moved. It was a rather awkward toy, and somewhat bland.

Anyone here that might have any info to share on this toy would be greatly appreciated.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

Are you sure it wasn't a mini rig but under license from kenner from a different country?
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

none of the mini rigs were battery operated.
      How big was the vehicle?

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
        MeGoing
        • May 14, 2003

I love a good mystery and it's even better when they get solved around here which they most often do.

Comment

• acrovader
          Career Member
          • Jan 19, 2011

It's not very big. The closest thing I could compare it to is the 1980's G.I. Joe Imp.

YOJOE.COM | Cobra Imp Box Back

It doesn't have missiles on it. The treads are much smaller. It's brown. Perhaps a little more shaped like a box. It has a hatch that lifts up to place the figure in. It also has this metal "wheel" placed on the front, which I can't remember what purpose it served other that I think it might of been magnetic. The toy was rather generic looking. I'd say it was about 6 inches long, 3 or 4 inches wide, and 3 or 4 inches tall.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
            Pat Troughton in disguise
            • Nov 21, 2007

The troop carrier had batteries for sounds (although not a mini rig)
            ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• mazinz
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 2, 2007

here this is a website with a ton of Christmas catalog scans, it might help in your search for this item:

Welcome to WishbookWeb.com
              "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• acrovader
                Career Member
                • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by mazinz
                here this is a website with a ton of Christmas catalog scans, it might help in your search for this item:

Welcome to WishbookWeb.com
                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎