Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

MEGO 3 3/4" o-ring figures are so much better than the Kenner Star Wars figures

I guess, of all the toys out there, I really like the 3.75 inch/o-ring figures the best. Maybe I'm biased, since the Micronaut and Microman toys are my favorite toylines of all time, but all things considered, MEGO's 3 3/4" figures blow away the Kenner Star Wars figures. I think it really comes down to the articulation. Even with that, how can you compete against the Galactic Defenders, Aliens, and Acoyears' details and accessories? I even think the Buck Rogers and Black Hole figures are all around better figures than the old Kenner SW figures.

I had so much more Star Wars toys as a kid than I did with any of the MEGO figures- which probably had to more with my love for the Star Wars movies than anything else.

I became a serious Micro collector in the early 90's. Looking back over the last 17 or 18 years of collecting Micronaut (and Microman) toys, I don't know how (or why), as a kid, I ignored Micronauts. I guess I had a one track mind.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

I think it ws the easy availabilty and exposure of the Star Wars line.

I remember having a lot of fun with the white Crusier one Christmas. I liked that it was interconectable. Closet thing I ever got to a Erector set I suppose.

My friend had the rail car set with the train tracks he tried to sell every yard sale but never could.
    I had a basic Micronaut man he was like my Black Hole Sentry I lost him early.
    Also had teh copper coloured one man pointy ship thingy.

I have a lot of love for the firing missle from the Crusier. I tied a string and was overjoyed with my first grappling gun.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

I think the extra articulation of the Mego 3.75 inch lines could often make the figures somewhat overly fragile, whereas the more sturdy Kenner SW figures with fewer points of articulation were way more robust.

But I loved both.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I also did not like that with the exception of the micronauts, the Mego lines did not come with weapons.

Comment

• acrovader
          Career Member
          • Jan 19, 2011

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          I also did not like that with the exception of the micronauts, the Mego lines did not come with weapons.
          That's true. But the robot soldiers from the Black Hole came with guns.
          I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• cyberlord
            • Jul 13, 2010

Originally posted by acrovader
            That's true. But the robot soldiers from the Black Hole came with guns.
            yeah that they couldnt hold, didnt really fit into the holster- of which there were 2 but only one gun, and they were completely innacurate to the movie with its unique 2 barrelled guns.

appart from that they were great.

i also have immense fondness for the lil mego figures, not just the posability theres just something fantastic about them- the sentry and buck rogers twiki are just classics - twiki especially with masses of articulation in a tiny figure.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

Twiki is actually the only 3.75 Mego I have. just saved him for some reason.....guess it was because he was a cool character and figure

Comment

• TrueDave
                Toy Maker
                • Jan 12, 2008

This ****ed me off as a kid too.

I was old enough to drink before i found out they made Humanoids.

$$$$$$

Originally posted by cyberlord
                yeah that they couldnt hold, didnt really fit into the holster- of which there were 2 but only one gun, and they were completely innacurate to the movie with its unique 2 barrelled guns.

appart from that they were great.

i also have immense fondness for the lil mego figures, not just the posability theres just something fantastic about them- the sentry and buck rogers twiki are just classics - twiki especially with masses of articulation in a tiny figure.

Comment

• jasonmego1277
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 9, 2008

Personally I like O-ring figs. The Mego figures are some of my favs. Though they are somewhat fragile. The Kenner Star wars far less so. I Think both have their pros and cons. I sometimes feel the 3.75" scale is best with less articulation. That's my opinion anways. I do like both though. Its a tough call which is better.
                  In The " Real World " Vampires Do Not Sparkle. They Burn In the Sun !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131475...57650995605142

Comment

• TrueDave
                    Toy Maker
                    • Jan 12, 2008

Jason by less articulation you mean the new Hasbro stuff right?

I tried them but theyre floppy like Marvel Legends.

Comment

• jasonmego1277
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 9, 2008

Dave .....I don't know why but really like the straight arm / leg figures like mego's Star Trek TMP, Members Star Wars, Mattels Battlestar Galactica, etc. Although I am a huge fan of Hasbro's G.I.Joe A Real American Hero O-ring type. I have almost a complete set 1983 to 1994. Nothing wrong with articulation but I prefer less. Seems to extend life of the figure after kids play with them. If that makes sense. Lol.....
                      In The " Real World " Vampires Do Not Sparkle. They Burn In the Sun !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131475...57650995605142

Comment

• TrueDave
                        Toy Maker
                        • Jan 12, 2008

Jason:
                        Granted I would much rather have Pocket Captain America as is rather than a O ring body.
                        I think you get more sculpt that way and at 3" for a YOUNG kid thats enough. ( I did like in 1995 when they put swivel waist on them.

I think the MEGO O rings are so fragile because they use a more brittle plastic to pick up the incredible texture detail.

O ring vs. 5 Point articulation : Mego Klingon 3" vs. Ertl Klingon 3" . Mego wins. Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎