• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoNinja
    Career Member
    • Feb 7, 2007

Mad Mummy question about Eye Decay

Hello everyone,

I have a Mad Monster Mummy and there seems to be a problem with his eyes, they appear to be melting and leaking out of his eye socket's, which makes him even more scary!

It almost looks like he has pimples growing on his eye's, or like he is trying to grow more eye's or something, does any one else have this problem? Is there any thing I can do about it? Am I the only unlucky person to have gotten this problem?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks
    I the Monster Hero
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Ah yes, eye melt... you're definitely not the first and you won't be the last... unfortunately
    Basically, you're screwed
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Hulk
      Mayor of Megoville
      • May 10, 2003

Eye Melt is discussed in the Accesory Check here...

Mummy: Mad Monsters: Accessory Check

My suggestion would be to keep an eye on eBay for a better example or post in the Marketplace for one. Good Luck!

Comment

• MegoNinja
        Career Member
        • Feb 7, 2007

thanks for the help guys, I didn't even know that there was an accessory check for the Monsters on the museum.
        glad to know that my Mummy is doomed.
        I the Monster Hero

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Just pretend it's an extra scary factor to the monsters
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• MegoNinja
            Career Member
            • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by Meule
            Just pretend it's an extra scary factor to the monsters
            Im just going to pretend he is shooting embalming fluid out of his eyes!
            Mego really added some realism didn't they! (even if the feature wouldnt be noticable until 30 years later).
            I the Monster Hero

Comment

• mego73
              Printed paperboard Tiger
              • Aug 1, 2003

I've heard here previously that "eye melt" on the mad monsters is actually a bad (messy) factory injection of the glow plastic into the eye holes and those particular figures were that way from the beginning. So, I'm not sure if they become that way or born that way

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• ABMAC
                User
                • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by mego73
                I've heard here previously that "eye melt" on the mad monsters is actually a bad (messy) factory injection of the glow plastic into the eye holes and those particular figures were that way from the beginning. So, I'm not sure if they become that way or born that way
                That's completely false. I don't think you heard it on this forum. The eyes are made of hard plastic and they leech elasticizer from the vinyl heads.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Yep, this is just another example of two different materials that don't get along so well together after so many years. Once the chemical reaction is triggered, it will just get worse and unfortunately is irreversible.

Comment

• chalwa
                    Mego Philomath
                    • Jun 8, 2007

Eye'd love to see it...

Anybody have a pic of this?
                    I don't have a mummy and the creepy halloween guy in me is curious as to what this looks like.
                    bestest
                    Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
                    The Misadventures of Captain Blog
                    Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
                    I shall be very proud and great.
                    And tell the other girls and boys,
                    not to meddle with my toys.
                    -Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• mego73
                      Printed paperboard Tiger
                      • Aug 1, 2003

Here's an example:

Original MEGO Mad Monster Mummy Action Figure In Box! - (eBay item 260169517868 end time Oct-16-07 17:45:39 PDT)

As for the factory error theory, I think I did hear it here(this was a long time ago). The Mummy head shown in that case had the glow plastic distorted but what was noted was that both plastic blobs came up in "peaks" similar to the look of soft serve ice cream from a dispenser.

A similar (but much more mild) example of that look is found on Professor Griffin's page for the Mad Monsters.

Christmas With Plastic Dead Men

The Mummy picture at the top shows one eye that apparently has less plastic than usual ending in a peak with a little knob at the end.

While this, in no way, was put out there purporting to explain all the eye distortions, it was suggested it may account for a slim minority of them.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• ramsey37
                        • Jun 18, 2001

I'm thinking Matt Jaycox was the one who had the theory about the eye melt being a factory error. I'm almost sure he posted about it years ago at the Universal Monster Army.
                        George

Comment

• ABMAC
                          User
                          • May 16, 2002

OK, the vinyl heads were made with sockets for separate glow-in-the-dark eyeballs. Which is easier, popping plastic balls into the sockets or aligning the heads in another mold so that molten ABS plastic can be injected into the sockets under high pressure? Keep in mind that the molds have at least one channel for the plastic to enter the mold cavity and at least one vent for displaced air to exit. After molding, these inlet and outlet ports leave marks. Did someone trim and polish the tiny eyes after the plastic was injected?

This is how it how eye melt works:

The first picture shows the socket and the ball. The socket is slightly smaller than the ball.

The second picture shows the ball in the socket. The ball is held snugly and won't fall out or move around. I believe it was also glued in place.

The third picture shows the ball in the socket after elasticizer has leeched into the ball. The softened plastic is shown slightly darker. There is unaffected plastic in the center of the ball and at the front.

In the fourth picture, the stretched socket has returned to its original size and has pushed the softened eyeball plastic outward. The unaffected plastic makes a "knob" on the front of the eyeball.

In many cases the entire eyeball is softened and oozes out of the socket as an amorphous blob.
                          Last edited by ABMAC; Oct 31, '07, 8:39 PM.

Comment

• MegoNinja
                            Career Member
                            • Feb 7, 2007

very good explanation Abmac, so what of my Mummy then? The eye melt doesnt look that bad at all, will his eye eventually pop out or will it not get any worse? Should I do any thing to slow it down or what?
                            I the Monster Hero

Comment

• ABMAC
                              User
                              • May 16, 2002

Once the eyes have started melting, they'll keep going until they're completely softened, then they'll stop. No cure or antidote has been found.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎