X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mefiboschet
    Career Member
    • Nov 29, 2003

Dyeing Mego bodies - Is it possible?

I know, this question has been brought up before, but I can't recall the answer.
    I'm working on a couple of customs, for which I'd need a different skin tone.
    For example, I'd like to put the Matchbox / Lesney Fighting Furies Hook & Pegleg on Mego bodies. (One has a yellowish, the other a reddish body).
    Another project is a Mego-scale Lone Ranger "Little Bear" Indian boy. I'd like to put him on a 5" CTVT body.
    What are your experiences with dyeing. Is it possible and which bodies would be best: original Mego, CTTV or Doc Mego?

Thanks!
  • Merlyn1976
    Fist of Khonshu
    • Mar 29, 2005

You can dye a Doc Mego white body...but the torso comes out a slight shade different then the legs and arms due to different plastics...

I'm not sure about CTVT bodies...
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• K
      Fun Will Now Commence
      • Jun 20, 2001

What about outright paint, Mef? I think it'd work well for your needs and you'd have complete control over color tone. Plus you wouldn't have to paint areas covered by clothing. Just a thought, but it's worked well for me in the instances in which I've done it.
      I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• Mefiboschet
        Career Member
        • Nov 29, 2003

Originally posted by K
        What about outright paint, Mef? I think it'd work well for your needs and you'd have complete control over color tone. Plus you wouldn't have to paint areas covered by clothing. Just a thought, but it's worked well for me in the instances in which I've done it.
        Thought about that, K! Just made the experience, that paint doesn't really stick well to the original Mego Megos, but it chips off very easily. Don't know, if Doc Mego or CTVT bodies may work better.

Comment

• Cosmicman
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 12, 2005

Krylon Fusion for plastics

Krylon Fusion for plastics has worked well for me. My Sinestro still looks pretty dang sharp.
          More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• K
            Fun Will Now Commence
            • Jun 20, 2001

^ In addition to WD's tip, you might also think about sealing the body after painting, to prevent chipping. You can use either brush on or spray on sealants. I think you could get a better variety of color with paint as opposed to dye and you wouldn't be at the mercy of the different plastics taking up the dye differently.
            I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• Megospidey
              Museum Webslinger
              • Jul 26, 2006

I've painted and sealed several Mego bodies - CTVT and Doc's too. The key to it is taking the body apart and painting each piece separately and sealing each piece separately. Works like a charm if done properly!!

Comment

• kept back
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 2, 2002

Dye is a no go on original Mego or CTVT bodies. The Doc's take the dye pretty well, white or flesh as long as you are going to a darker color than whatever the body already is.
                Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• shellhead
                  museum rustpot
                  • Mar 1, 2007

Dye works great on docs bodies as far as the limbs are concerned, but i've had to go back and paint the torsos to match the limbs when excact color matches were a concern. Fusion works great on the torso plastic.
                  Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• Mefiboschet
                    Career Member
                    • Nov 29, 2003

I looked at the homepage and Krylon Fusion for Plastic seems to be the right stuff.

Unfortunately, it's not available over here in Europe.
                    Is this used as a primer with the actual color going on top of it?
                    If so, which kind of paint can I use, that doesn't chemically react to Krylon Fusion?
                    Any what do you use as sealer?

Thanks!

Georg

Comment

• Customslab

fusion paint just has a addative to it so it can flex, auto body and paint co. been using it for as long as their has been plastic bumpers on cars, try going to a automotive paint and supply ask for a flex agent for paint only takes a drop or two

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎