X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ranger 3
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 25, 2007

Question about Mego repros/replicas in general

I'm a very occastional lurker/poster here- mostly I'm into the small Mego stuff (Buck Rogers, Black Hole) and the Classic Trek Megos.

I also collect vintage Star Wars from my childhood and occasionally hang out over at the rebelscum forums.

I have observed that Mego collectors seem to embrase replicas/repros/restorations, white vintage SW collectors treat it like the plaque. In fact, there is outright hostility toward anything so much as a repro weapon for a vintage Star Wars figure, much less repro packaging.

I collect not for value or prestige, but for nostalgia. I would like nothing more than to do a whole rack of repro carded SW figures simply for the thrill of reliving a scene from my past!

So what gives?

Mark
  • David Lee
    The Fix-it-up Chappie
    • Jun 10, 2002

Mark,
    First of all welcome. I think you'll find this place to be a great place to hang out, full of the most knowledgeable and friendly people on the net, not only for MEGOS but other toys.

In the case of Reproduction parts, I think you will find your aforementioned delineation in every toy group that has reproduction parts. Every toy hobby seems to have purists and folks who don't care if the part is "real" or not. It seems to be the nature of the beast if you will. MEGOs are not different and we have strong opinions here on the matter as well. The key; in my opinion is to peacefully co-exist with each other, and remember the tie that binds is the actual vintage toy itself. We are all brothers/sisters in that... We are all looking to satisfy a need in collecting, yours may be different than mine, but that doesn't make either of them wrong... just different. When we respect the collector first and foremost, and not his particular taste in collecting, we can all find common ground.

Variety is the spice of life! It's what makes the world go 'round... oh wait Fat Bottom girls make the world go 'round.... no, my bad that that's Rockin World
    ... I always get those confused...

Peace!

-Dave

Comment

• ABMAC
      User
      • May 16, 2002

Passing repro parts or cards off as real is universally frowned upon, but whatever you buy, make, assemble, or create just for yourself is your own business.

Welcome to the board.

Comment

• jds1911a1
        Alan Scott is the best GL
        • Aug 8, 2007

David lee is right even here there are those who vehemently oppose repro/replaces parts and emce/ctvt recreations. One reason those aginst repro in the Star wars communuity (and 12" joe community) are so vocal I think is because these lines have contuined all along and there is a lot of mint carded product out there. Mego 8" has been gone for a long time and really nothing has filled that slot in modern toys.

another point is markings. If someone takes the time to make an accurate repro and casts it in the right plastic and color unless they put a marking on it there is no way to tell the difference. On a star wars accessory there just isn't alot of space to put a marking of repro even if someone wanted to.
        CTVT and DM have gone out their way to add markings to cut down on unscroupulous sellers passing of repro as vintage. In 12" joe same thing Cotswold and hasbro (even vintage KO parts) have different markings than the originals

Comment

• AAAAA
          Permanent Member
          • Oct 28, 2005

well Over the years SW collectors have been burned over the jawas with Vinyle cape.
          It its easier to reproduced the star wars weapons than anything else.
          As a matter fact 17 years ago someone contacted about manufacting repo weapons for SW figures i said yeah i can But I'll do in a "off "color like yellow or orange plastic, he wanted them in the exact colors, but was not going to tell anybody if they did not ask.
          I refused.
          old SW figures are plentyfull loose and near complete minus the one or two items came with.
          With mego's there still resisting, But since the figures have more parts that can get lost or damage, and some of the figures are rare, and finding a missing item maybe near impossible.
          like some of the star trek aliens,instead of your figure on the shelf with one or no boots ,its just better to have it standing in a repo boots than none at all.
          Last edited by AAAAA; Oct 29, '07, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• QDOGG
            Persistent Member
            • Jan 13, 2007

Welcome aboard. I'm not sure about the folks that collect Star Wars stuff, but on my short time here I have found that everyone here has there own taste in how the collect Megos, but no one seems anal about it. Some folks will only collect carded and boxed originals, I say if you have the money to do that, go for it! Others like to restore loose figures but will only use original parts and will spend the time tracking them down, while others have no problem using repro parts so they have a nice looking figure to display. Then there is the school of customizing, which I am a member of. I will mix original parts, repro, other toy lines ,homemade, or buy custom parts from the great folks on this forum. I think you will find being on this forum is alot of fun, and you will get to meet alot of nice, helpful and knowledgable people. Enjoy your stay.

Wayne

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Welcome! As previously mentioned all hobbys have their own fair share of purists and those who lean towards replicas for financial savings. But I think the operative word here is respect. This forum has some of the finest collectors I have ever met or done business with, but we all have our own slant on what we like and I truly respect that. I'm in my 40's and have been enchanted with the Mego brand since they first hit store shelves back in the 70's. But I have also learn quite a bit from collectors who bring their love for other nostalgic figures right to this forum. It's a melting pot of toys from just about every era and you can't help but smile when you see someone's ethusiasm as they share their favorite childhood memory. At the end of the day isn't that what it's all about?

Comment

• MegoGeek
                From The Black Lagoon
                • Jun 27, 2001

Speaking as a huge collector of both vintage SW and Megos, i'd say bottom line is compared to Megos there really aren't that many rare star wars accessories, maybe an amanaman staff or a Luke Stormtrooper helmet, or of course, a DT lightsaber.

Compare those to a Green Goblin bag or a GA Quiver or a Batgirl belt or Supergirl shoes or a Riddler belt.

Megos have a lot more accessories. Batgirl had nine different accessories to lose.

You're missing the backpack for your 4-LOM figure? Just plop down $7.99 on eBay and you can buy a complete nm all original 4-LOM.

You can't do that when your Mego Thor is missing his hammer.
                ______
                ChArLiE

Comment

• SoulSinger
                  Singer Of Mego Love
                  • Oct 22, 2007

Amen!

Bob

Originally posted by MIB41
                  It's a melting pot of toys from just about every era and you can't help but smile when you see someone's ethusiasm as they share their favorite childhood memory. At the end of the day isn't that what it's all about?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎