Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a question about originality of 8" superman doll... and another general question...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mephisto
    • Oct 27, 2007

a question about originality of 8" superman doll... and another general question...

Hope someone can help me...
    I have a Superman 8" doll and i can't tell if it is all original or not...
    1)Does the year that is written on the head have to be the same year that is indicated on the back of body? mine shows 1972 on head and 1974 on the body...
    2) the head's face has a darker shade of color than the rest of the body... is that normal?
    3) emblam is made of some kind of nylon fabric and not a paper one...
    4) the red part of the outfit (underwear??? ) has the same fabric as the rest of outfit...

and for my general question:
    * does the WGSH boxes have to show the same year as shown on the dolls inside them?
    Hope you can help me...
  • MegoNinja
    Career Member
    • Feb 7, 2007

to answer some of your questions:
    1) the year printed on the head is very rarely the same as the one on the body, almost every Mego doll has a different head to body number, this is because Mego re-used the same head's again and again until the went bankrupt
    2) Every head is darker than the bodies, there really isnt a Mego doll that has skin that exactly matches the body
    3)not all the emblems for supe's were made from paper, some were made from a nylon fabric, check the museum galleries for more on original/repro emblems.
    4) the underwear is meant to be the same of the rest of the outfit, only the Removable Cowl batman got nylon underwear

Hope I helped
    I the Monster Hero

Comment

• mephisto
      • Oct 27, 2007

thank you so much for all your answers... but are you sure there aren't superman with nylon underwear??? i saw it few times on e-bay...

Comment

• MegoNinja
        Career Member
        • Feb 7, 2007

glad to be of service.
        the very first superman Mego's did have a different texture to their underwear which is probably what you are thinking of, they are satin like. Either way, the supe's you have sounds real, check the museum galleries, there is great articles on what is real and fake and how to tell the difference.
        I the Monster Hero

Comment

• Dave Mc
          Administrator
          • Oct 20, 2002

Your first stop for info like this should always be the Museum's Gallery pages and Accessory Check sections. A ton of this kind of information is found there with detailed pictures.

Accessory Check is a guide with detailed pics of original parts vs. factory made reproductions that might help you out.
          Superman: WGSH Gallery: Mego Museum

This doesn't include hand made reproductions, but covers most of the big issues. Between this page, and the regular Superman Gallery page, you should be able to see what everything looks like.

Superman did indeed come with a nylon shorts variation, but the version with the shorts made of the same material as the rest of the suit is much more common. I've not seen Supes with the canvas shorts that seems to be unique to Batman, but nylon shorts Supes are out there and are not THAT rare.
          Last edited by ABMAC; Oct 28, '07, 1:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎