X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Marx Marvel Figures...

I have been looking at some Marx Marvel figures...Have a few already in my collection...and wanted to know which is the color of the 1st run of those figures? I think the Mexican Knockoffs/Bootlegs are Green? Also, were they factory painted during the run? I've been to a fair amount of shows and have seen some of the Marx Marvel figures painted. Thanks to anyone who can help with this question.
  • Megospidey
    Museum Webslinger
    • Jul 26, 2006

They were not factory painted...individuals did that, and some did a very good job. Ones that are painted "professionally" sell for more usually.

And they came in several colors -- green, red, blue, silver, gray, and maybe one more? Don't know what is the first run color though.

Comment

• Afaninfull
      Museum Super Collector
      • Nov 23, 2010

I have an Iron Man in orange and one other in that color. I think it might be Daredevil.

I never had these as a kid but I had a neighbor who did and I have really fond memories of going to his house and playing with these and our Mego WGSH. I picked up a set last year and really like them. The first one I picked up was a painted Spiderman. When I bought my second, I noticed a difference in size. The Spidey was much smaller so he may be the knock off. I later got a colored Spidey and he was much larger. I think his pose has something to do as his hands are raised.

Good luck in getting these. They are really cool!

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

Technically, those mexican ones you see (which are still produced today) arent really knockoffs. They are made with the original Marx molds by the folks who once ran Plastimarx, which survived into the late nineties/early 2000's as a seperate company from Marx. Heck, they outlasted the General Mills and Dunbee Combex decimation of the late great parent company Marx toys and will still produce items today if they receive enough orders.

They are bootlegs in the sense they are being produced without a license, but the molds are the exact same ones the originals were made from.

As for original colors? Like Derek said, they came in many hues. Marx wasnt too specific about such things, and often made runs with leftover plastic materials from other projects. I'll ask some people I know who used to work at the Glendale plant and see if there were any"official" first colors, but I doubt it.
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• timb
          Will Draw for Toys
          • May 1, 2009

I love the Marx hero figures. The sculpting on them really is beautiful. Here's an article I recently ran across that talks about the variations and various reproductions:
          1967 Marx Marvel Superhero Figures StorySpider-Blog! Spider-Blog!

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

For some reason I was under the impression the original run came in a certain color (or colors) and the ones issued later (70's and 80's) came in a different set of colors. But then, I'm no expert on these.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• MLoudin
              Possessed by Megos
              • Sep 13, 2007

Mine are all MARX stamped... Orange Thor, red Cap, blue Iron Man, red Spidey, orange Hulk and red DD

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                Removed.
                • Jun 14, 2008

Is there a site that shows ALL the different figures MARX made in this scale? I know there were monsters and soldiers and cowboys and space men, etc.
                Also in the article tim linked the author mentions a box? Is he referring to the shipping container? because I seem to recall these being dumped loose in bins at stores like Woolworths and not individually boxed.

Rich

Comment

• Doc
                  Banned
                  • May 9, 2010

I had original Marxx from back in the day as a kid. My Spiderman was green so was Iron Man. My Hulk and Daredevil were Orange. Thor was Blue

Comment

• BOTZWANA
                    spam
                    • May 28, 2009

Where in Mexico considering I live here?

Comment

• Captain
                      Fighting the good fight!
                      • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                      Is there a site that shows ALL the different figures MARX made in this scale? I know there were monsters and soldiers and cowboys and space men, etc.
                      Also in the article tim linked the author mentions a box? Is he referring to the shipping container? because I seem to recall these being dumped loose in bins at stores like Woolworths and not individually boxed.

Rich
                      Dont know about web-sites, but I do know Marx sold all the six inch lines in boxed form, as well as loose. It was a window box affair, with usually 6 characters standing side by side and wire tied to a cardboard base. The box was fairly long to accomodate this, and the window itself usually wrapped up over the top. Also,any of the ones I've had or seen over the years didnt have any plastic for the window either, although I'm told they did come shrink wrapped. Never seen that myself. Back in the late nineties Jay Horowitz (who owned all the rights to marx) released some of the Soldiers of the world six inch figures in this packaging format under the Marx Mint name. The cowboy and Indian lines were also re released at that time.

Comment

• Captain
                        Fighting the good fight!
                        • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by timb
                        I love the Marx hero figures. The sculpting on them really is beautiful. Here's an article I recently ran across that talks about the variations and various reproductions:
                        1967 Marx Marvel Superhero Figures StorySpider-Blog! Spider-Blog!
                        Cool website, and great time line coverage.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                          A Ray of Sunshine
                          • Jun 17, 2001

The first run were the Silver/Grey ones. That's why they usually are more desired and expensive. Those were followed by the multiple colors such as blue, green, orange and deep red. You can usually tell the difference in those and they Mexican ones by the flat red, yellow and other various colors.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                            Banned
                            • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Tim Arnold
                            The first run were the Silver/Grey ones. That's why they usually are more desired and expensive. Those were followed by the multiple colors such as blue, green, orange and deep red. You can usually tell the difference in those and they Mexican ones by the flat red, yellow and other various colors.
                            How did I know that you would know a little bit about these figures

Thanks Tim.

Comment

• Sowth
                              Career Member
                              • Mar 14, 2006

I'm pretty sure that painted examples were released by Marx, whether as store displays or for another promotion. I've seen painted ones turn up even here in Australia with identical paint jobs to pictured examples from the US.
                              Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎