X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

PlaidStallions 2nd Annual Retro Awards

As another year passes, it's time to pay tribute that things that were so full of "Retro Win" that they need an imaginary award from an anonymous blogger in Canada. Yes, it's the 2nd annual Retro Awards and it's been an exciting year as competition was fierce for my allowance these past twelve months.

Best Movies-

I was completely blown away this year by Black Dynamite a sharp as nails parody of the 1970s blaxploitation craze. Like all great parody, the film actually retains the feel of the subject matter, no mugging to the camera, no tired Britney Spears jokes. It makes stuff like "Epic Movie" look the thrown together crap it really is. This film should have had a wider release as it is the best comedy I saw last year. If you haven't seen it, correct that mistake right now! You will be quoting it the next day.

Sandy Collera's Hunter Prey is on here because not only is this a solid science fiction film but it somehow invokes that "70s Vibe" so damned well. Shot on a shoestring, the movie looks better than a lot of big budget features. I've missed movies of this ilk, Hunter Prey sits proudly on my shelf next to stuff like "Planet of the Apes" and "Alien". I noticed fun little nods to properties like "The Micronauts" comic books in the script, which Sandy himself confirmed were intentional. You can't not love stuff like this.

Best Toys- 2010 seemed to be all about 70s Mego love, which I'm perfectly fine with, while this year was one for the books in terms of me wanting to buy modern toys, three things really stuck out.

Firstly, BifBangPow! just unleashed so much toy love onto the world with their many wonderful toy lines like Twilight Zone and the awesome Venture Brothers. If I had to pick a favourite (and it's not easy), I'd have to say it was their Flash Gordon line of 8" figures. I waited a long time for these things and I wish I could send these back to my ten year old self, they are truly beautiful. Not to say that I don't love the hell out of my Brock Samson doll (I do!) but there is just something about waiting 30 years for something.

Speaking of waiting 30 years for something, the good folks at Super 7 had a "why didn't someone think of this sooner moment" when they married the goodness of Star Wars with the fun of Jumbo Machinders and pure awesome just came pouring out as a result. Seriously, the Super Shogun Storm Trooper brings tears to my eyes with it's brilliance. For added fun check out this cool series of retro Christmas images that was featured on Wired, if only this was real.

Speaking of beautiful, EMCE Toys and Diamond Select knocked the Universal Monsters line out of the park with their first two figures. I have more monster dolls than I need but these two figures were something I coudln't mince around with I needed these figures and I needed them now. As a bit of trivia, Sean Sansom sculptor of the upcoming Brick Mantooth figure also sculpted the Frankenstein, so they're sort of related/kinda...

Best DVD-

The hands down winner this year is the Time Life Six Million Dollar Man set. Time Life could have released this bare bones and I'd have bought it but no, they loaded it with extras and interviews and wrapped it in the coolest nerdiest packaging I've ever seen. Upon reciept of this fine set I went on a "bionic binge" that I am not proud of.

In the "never thought I'd see the day" department is the Warner Brothers Archives release of "Legends of the Superheroes" the ultra campy attempt to marry the Superfriends to the antics of the 1966 Batman TV series. This thing was the talk of the playground when I was a wee lad so it kind of made me misty to see it available in non bootleg fashion. Now if only they WB would release those forgotten 70s Archie tv pilots and perhaps ship to Canada...

Best Books-

I was elated to get a copy of Rich Handley's "Lexicon of the Planet of the Apes" which is a real treat for fans of the film, TV, book, and comic adventures on Pierre Boulle's Monkey Planet. Seriously this book is just exploding with facts on one of my favourite subjects and I heartily recommend it for casual fans and the hardcore ones who know what General Urko's wife's name is.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]OK, it's kind of cheating seeing as I had some input on this book but seeing as I likely accounted for 0.001% of what makes [/FONT">Star Trek 365</a> so great, I feel safe. It's just a great beautiful fun book about Star Trek at a great price. I'd also like the say the good folks at Abrams publishing were a total joy to work, unlike my other contribution deal this year which I won't get into. *Shakes Fist at Superman*

And that's my wrap up for a (very expensive) 2010, hope you enjoyed it. As we progress into 2011 I am truly excited at the new opportunities that abound for PS and hopefully I'll some fun announcements to make in the coming weeks.

Until then, thanks everyone for reading, contributing and most of all making me laugh. It's been a joy and I wish you all a swinging new year in stereo.

Peace- Brian
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at <a href="http://www.plaidstallions.com"> Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

i didnt know legends of the superheroes was out! i'm gonna have to get it!

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

If I had one remark, it would be that you forgot this book
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Never heard of it.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
          MeGoing
          • May 14, 2003

Great read...Happy New Year and thanks to PlaidStallions...looking forward to another year together.

Comment

• kennermike
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 4, 2007

Never seen Legends of the Super Hereos only heard about it. its so obscure I cant believe thats been released on DVD
            Last edited by kennermike; Dec 31, '10, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

So much retro goodness. We were really spoiled this year.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• kennermike
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 4, 2007

I totally agree the 6MDM set is one of the best tv show sets ever unleashed to the public!

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Love to see 'Black Dynamite' get some props. I wasn't really sure what to expect when I went to theater to see this one, but I absolutely loved it. Even the faux PSA's were hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgpdo...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-wqmnJrOFM
                  Last edited by Wee67; Dec 31, '10, 5:02 PM.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Great list Brian. I'm behind on most of this stuff, but this will help nudge me to check them out.

The post on the Star Trek book seemed to have an error with the title. Is it one of those 365 day-a-year fact books?

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                      To Fear is Not Logical...
                      • Feb 17, 2008

I got the 365 book for Xmas. It has some real nice photos in it. There is a brief synopsis of each episode with a few fun facts popped in. Wish it could have been a 366 book with just one more Mego photo or two put in. They talk about the Talos, etc. but no picture

That 6MDM set looks great, but since I never watched the show that much as a kid, I just cannot justify a purchase.
                      It's all good!

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by UnderdogDJLSW
                        I got the 365 book for Xmas. It has some real nice photos in it. There is a brief synopsis of each episode with a few fun facts popped in. Wish it could have been a 366 book with just one more Mego photo or two put in. They talk about the Talos, etc. but no picture
                        I provided them with one but I think they got overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I sent. I will give them props for being very open minded about the spread and actually using some of my input, really nice people.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I never knew they released the Legend of Superheroes. That was the ultimate cheese buster. And a good reason why Adam West remained type cast through the 70's and 80's. He just couldn't let go of the camp. I only remember one episode because it was so bad. It was when Robin took the Batmobile out and wrecked it. Batman wasn't pleased.

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Meule
                            If I had one remark, it would be that you forgot this book
                            http://westfieldcomics.com/blog/wp-c...y-14-Miles.jpg
                            That book was put together by Jim Beard, with help from two of the Mighty Men of the Mess

stop by and give 'em a shout out!
                            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎