Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to get actual chrome/mirror like color?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

how to get actual chrome/mirror like color?

I need some help. A long time back I made a custom (3 3/4") GI Joe based on infamous Cobra de aco figure from Brazil. Despite using chrome paint and such I just could not get that mirror like shine/effect. Does anyone know how (or what paint) to achieve this effect?

below is a sort of bad pic, but enough to see what I am getting at. My figure is on the left and the original is on the right and note the reflective mirror like shine from his head

"What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

Try Chainmail Paint from Games Work Shop .
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• RG
      Removed.
      • Oct 1, 2004

with a small smoth head like snake eyes ... you might have luck with silver leafing ... it's a bit tricky to work with, but might be worth the effort.

Comment

• ODBJBG
        Permanent Member
        • May 15, 2009

I doubt anything will give you a good vacuum metalizing look. The equipment to do it yourself is pretty expensive, but you might could look up a place that does it (surprisingly a lot of places do) and have them do it for you.

Another idea would be to buy something that has already been vacuum metalized and find a way to peel it off and then heat seal it onto the new figure. Would take some work and some trial and error, but could probably be done. I've seen vac metal plastic peeled off on figures before.

Comment

• mazinz
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by ODBJBG
          I doubt anything will give you a good vacuum metalizing look. The equipment to do it yourself is pretty expensive, but you might could look up a place that does it (surprisingly a lot of places do) and have them do it for you.

Another idea would be to buy something that has already been vacuum metalized and find a way to peel it off and then heat seal it onto the new figure. Would take some work and some trial and error, but could probably be done. I've seen vac metal plastic peeled off on figures before.
          that would be way more work than I would want to put in, though that would explain why on these figures they always mentioned the chome rubbing off pretty easy.

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          Try Chainmail Paint from Games Work Shop .
          Originally posted by RussG
          with a small smoth head like snake eyes ... you might have luck with silver leafing ... it's a bit tricky to work with, but might be worth the effort.
          Ahhh silver leafing! Will look into both paint options. Thanks again--

Comment

• stuart
            Hi-Yo Silver Away!
            • Jun 18, 2007

How about silver or aluminum leaf?

Comment

• mazinz
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 2, 2007

I meant to post this the other day. Jessica sent me this link. This place seems to deal with paints that resemble a variety of metals

Welcome To Alclad II Home

Under their "finishes" and then under " high shine" they have a chrome for plastic paint, which I think I will be trying out

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>Try Chainmail Paint from Games Work Shop.

Probably your best bet. "Chrome" paints usually aren't. A good acrylic.... Testor's Model Master silver is good too.... over a black base with high gloss varnish will give you something metal looking. If you drybrush over the blac and build the colour up it'll look like pewter, or a weathered metal.

Don C.

Comment

• megojim
                  Permanent Member
                  • Oct 13, 2001

Originally posted by mazinz
                  I meant to post this the other day. Jessica sent me this link. This place seems to deal with paints that resemble a variety of metals

Welcome To Alclad II Home

Under their "finishes" and then under " high shine" they have a chrome for plastic paint, which I think I will be trying out
                  This is the stuff to use . . . use a primer coat, followed by glossy black enamel and finish with the Alclad . . . here's a pic of what it looks like

good luck -jim
                  My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by megojim
                    This is the stuff to use . . . use a primer coat, followed by glossy black enamel and finish with the Alclad . . . here's a pic of what it looks like

good luck -jim
                    Oh! So beautiful!
                    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• neogelion
                      Museum Patron
                      • Mar 11, 2009

Make sure you aren't touching the ALCLAD after it dries as it picks up fingerprints easily. Star Wars costumers use it for Commander Gree (beheaded by Yoda in Ep III) helmets.
                      Zombie? Vampire? Evil clown?!? Yes, please.

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by mazinz
                        I need some help. A long time back I made a custom (3 3/4") GI Joe based on infamous Cobra de aco figure from Brazil. Despite using chrome paint and such I just could not get that mirror like shine/effect. Does anyone know how (or what paint) to achieve this effect?

below is a sort of bad pic, but enough to see what I am getting at. My figure is on the left and the original is on the right and note the reflective mirror like shine from his head

http://i55.tinypic.com/2qiy3xs.jpg
                        i always wanted that figure
                        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡