X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Hong Kong is a kitbash/customizer's dream

If you are into the 1/6 scale figure. The amount of heads, bodies and accessories available in various shops within a stone's throw of each other is incredible. There was even one store where a seamstress specializes in custom clothing for action figures and dolls. I probably would have commissioned a few costumes if I had discovered this area earlier in my trip.

It's hard to fight the impulse to buy huge stacks of bodies and heads and clothing. It's not like I don't have a pile of Mego scale stuff at home to keep me busy for a good long time.

I couldn't resist picking up these though...
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

Any Predator Heads ?

Blaine
    Dillion
    Mac
    Poncho
    Hawkins ?

What about a Kevin Sorbo Head ?
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• renegade
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 16, 2010

AWWWWWWsome Bruce and jack heads....and with a lil reducite2......megossssss awayyyyyy

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Some time around 2000 customizing 12" figures got HUGE in Japan.... and I imagine the rest of asia followed suit. I still find it heartbreaking that it wasn't 8" scale....

Don C.

Comment

• Chris
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 23, 2009

Picking up the heads sounds like it was worth the trip! I work in the 1:6 scale too.
          If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

I wish I could post better images than just my webcam. Today's kitbash was ridiculously easy and inexpensive.

They refer to this one as "Tom's Forrest" here. I even found a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co hat.

I was hoping to find stuff to kitbash a Dr Gregory House together, but the head and accessories appear elusive.

I found this female body that might be okay for 1/9th if modified. Looks like a great base for a Vampirella or Power Girl custom.

I hope I have time for one more trip over to the Kowloon custom shops before I leave here. Still lots of heads, bodies and accessories I should pick up while I have the chance.
            Last edited by samurainoir; Dec 9, '10, 9:46 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
              Hmmmm....

Some time around 2000 customizing 12" figures got HUGE in Japan.... and I imagine the rest of asia followed suit. I still find it heartbreaking that it wasn't 8" scale....

Don C.
              I'd agree historically that Japan has usually set the pop culture/otaku trends in decades past, but in this case I'd argue that it's the Hong Kong customizers and companies that have led the way on this movement due to their close ties with inexpensive manufacturing in China that have flooded the 1/6th accessory market.

Japan's Medicom was there first in the nineties with the 1/6th Joe scale, but HK's Dragon got the ball rolling and other HK companies like Triad and Hot Toys have jumped in the fray and have been constantly upping the bar for the past decade. Most of the "name" customizers creating the gray market 1/6th stuff are predominantly coming out of Hong Kong.

As someone else pointed out to me in another recent thread, I'm discovering myself first hand right now how ridiculous fragile and impractical the Medicom bodies are for customizers as I'm dipping my toes into the 1/6th hobby.
              Last edited by samurainoir; Dec 9, '10, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• Megospidey
                Museum Webslinger
                • Jul 26, 2006

that female body ilooks like the Volks mini dolfie - I made Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy with it. Just cut about an 1/8" off at the ankles and it is perfect Mego scale.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Megospidey
                  that female body ilooks like the Volks mini dolfie - I made Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy with it. Just cut about an 1/8" off at the ankles and it is perfect Mego scale.
                  Ah! Thanks. I'm probably going to try and pick up a few more today. They also looked like they had some heads that might work, particularly with multi-hair colours.

Comment

• ironman1188
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 11, 2007

I might be interested in anything you may decide you don't want to keep.
                    Afterall, 1:6 is my thing. Especially if you happen across any Planet of the Apes 1:6 goodies.
                    Bugler, sound the advance.

Comment

• mazinz
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by samurainoir
                      I'd agree historically that Japan has usually set the pop culture/otaku trends in decades past, but in this case I'd argue that it's the Hong Kong customizers and companies that have led the way on this movement due to their close ties with inexpensive manufacturing in China that have flooded the 1/6th accessory market.

Japan's Medicom was there first in the nineties with the 1/6th Joe scale, but HK's Dragon got the ball rolling and other HK companies like Triad and Hot Toys have jumped in the fray and have been constantly upping the bar for the past decade. Most of the "name" customizers creating the gray market 1/6th stuff are predominantly coming out of Hong Kong.

As someone else pointed out to me in another recent thread, I'm discovering myself first hand right now how ridiculous fragile and impractical the Medicom bodies are for customizers as I'm dipping my toes into the 1/6th hobby.
                      youi aint jokin. Hop on ebay and type in 1/6 under the toy section and you will get a few thousand listings with about 90% of them out of Hong Kong. It has helped me considerably when searching for those odd 1/6 accessories
                      "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by mazinz
                        youi aint jokin. Hop on ebay and type in 1/6 under the toy section and you will get a few thousand listings with about 90% of them out of Hong Kong. It has helped me considerably when searching for those odd 1/6 accessories
                        Just imagine a 1/6th version of MegoMeet operating out of four multi-level toy malls (and separate hobby shops) within a stone's throw from each other, operating 7 days a week, year-round. I honestly haven't seen anything even remotely comparable in Tokyo on this scale in terms of a concentration of custom culture. In the shadow of this are the female fashion doll customizers as well.

What is actually kind of creepy for me is how 1/6th military action figures are so closely linked with the military collectors in this area of Hong Kong. So not only do you have the stores filled with realistic gun replicas alongside the toy stores, there is also a ridiculous amount of Nazi memorabilia on display as well (including action figures). Keep in mind most of these shops are the size of phone booths, and then juxtapose that with a store next to it that specialized in Hello Kitty, Lego Figures or Mochichi.

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Today's pickups...

All the Arnie battle damage T2 needs now is some weapons. I assembled him in minutes by walking into three different stores. You might not be able to tell from the photos, but that's a decent Clint Eastwood head in the cowboy hat, and a bald Bruce Willis that is perfect for an Unbreakable custom.

I wish I had more time to dig through bins and pegs, because I'm sure I could have outfitted the T1 as well.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                            MeGoing
                            • May 14, 2003

I'm glad to see you are having fun Ed!

Comment

• Neutron X
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 22, 2007

Awesome! Never knew 1/6th customizing was so big over there. Will they let you take any pics?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎