Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best glue to adhere hieroglyphics to cloth?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Best glue to adhere hieroglyphics to cloth?

I have one of the HASBRO "Signature Series" six inch Zaius figures and plan on cutting the lapels off the figure and gluing them onto a cloth jacket...

The hieroglyphics/lapels are made out what seems to be a thick rubber or maybe some sort of vinyl (they're definitely not regular "hard plastic"), and I was wondering what, if anything, would work best to glue them to fabric?

If anyone has any idea(s) as to what might work, please LMK...

Thanks...

PS: Is there any type of glue that works well for gluing resin to cloth? If so, is it the same type as what would work for the above, or is there anything that would work better?
  • Cmonster
    Banned
    • Feb 6, 2010

Mike,

Super glue works great for that. The trick is not to use too much. Apply small dots of it with a toothpick to the corners and tack those down first. Then slowly and sparingly, work your way along the edges until it's all down. Remember, less is more.

SC

Comment

• renegade
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 16, 2010

I live and Die by MIGHTY MENDIT AS SEEN ON TV....but then when the C speaks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

• actjac01
        Veteran Member
        • May 17, 2009

I personally am not a big fan of super glue for this kind of job (although I do agree that it will work on this.) I myself find cyanoarcrylate adhesives just too brittle for this type of application. Just me.
        If I were doing it, I'd use a vinyl adhesive. My personal favorite is what Dritz puts out: 'Instant Vinyl' Transparent Adhesive. You can pick this stuff up in fabric shops. It comes in a white tube on a tan & red blister card. Since I stumbled onto this stuff, I've been amazed at how well it works. I've even repaired Mego heads with this stuff! Dries in minutes, fully cures in about 1/2 an hour. Works great on cloth (I glue repro emblems on mego uniforms) and it will remain flexible. Here's the website: Prym Consumer USA Inc. | America's Notions and Crafts Company.
        "...You can capture the Klingon & bring him back to the Enterprise!"

Comment

• renegade
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 16, 2010

Great thing about MIGHTY MENDIT is the excess can be peeled off the fabric.
          Last edited by renegade; Dec 8, '10, 12:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Thanks to all for your suggestions so far...

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

i never knew about the dritz! i always just use aleen's glue cause it's stretchy and dries clear, and because i have it.
              Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
              Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
              1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• renegade
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 16, 2010

I'm a have-it kinda guy too.

Comment

• babycyclops
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 9, 2010

I don't know what the equivalent brand overseas might be, but I use a 5 minute, 2 part epoxy when I want things to stick. Many accuse me of overkill, but stuff I stick together... stays stuck.
                  The brand here is Araldite. Once it's cured, though, you will not be able to remove any excess.

Comment

• Megospidey
                    Museum Webslinger
                    • Jul 26, 2006

Beacon Adhesive's Fabri Tac is the best stuff for this kind of project (or anything involving fabric, soft plastic, vinyl, etc.). You can get it at Wal-Mart.

It is easy to work with and permanent.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎