X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidb
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 9, 2007

Quick question about Marx Johnny West figures

Hey, guys. I was at a local flea market today and spotted several Marx cowboy figures. From the size, I think they're Johnny Wests (I ID'd one of the women through Ebay). My question is this - are they worth picking up? I think that the figures are sound (if anything they're missing their hands) and have no accessories. They're priced at $10 each.

I know nothing about Marx figures. In your opinions are they worth picking up for possible resale, or should I leave them be?
  • AAAAA
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 28, 2005

I replace the male,with hands from Cottsworld kung Fu grip repro hands
    and the females with Cy-girls hands,
    BE care full of the CARMEL color figures, the pigment cause them to deteriorate and become brittle.
    see if you can talk them down cheaper.
    Parts are somewhat plenty full, its just finding vinyle stuff that not rip or torn.
    The 71/2 marx figures lines like Rat patrol and westerns figures command higher price.because they are rare.
    as far resale goes in making money on them ,not really.
    Box figures commmand the high pricelike (BEST OF THE WEST), like my mint princess Wildflower, because they have most or some of the accessiores.
    Last edited by AAAAA; Oct 20, '07, 5:17 PM.

Comment

• megoat
      A Therefore Experience
      • Jun 10, 2003

Marx Best Of The West figures without accessories and hands have minimal value. $10 is too much.

Comment

• davidb
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 9, 2007

Sounds like a pass, then. Thanks, guys!

Comment

• Captain
          Fighting the good fight!
          • Jun 17, 2001

...Actually, it depends on who the figures are. Johnny, Geronimo, Custer, Jane, and Maddox are fairly common, but several others are much more rare. James West,Zeb Zachary or (Gasp) Jed Gibson are worth a small fortune...complete or otherwise. Body color can also dictate if they are worth more or not.

Like Megos' the Marx figures have a huge following, and repro parts for hands, and accessories are readily available.
          "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• The Sentry
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 3, 2007

Originally posted by Captain
            Like Megos' the Marx figures have a huge following, and repro parts for hands, and accessories are readily available.
            No kidding? I have a complete Geronimo and Eric and I had no idea that people dug on them, but I had no idea about here until June though.......

I learn something new everyday! Very very cool!
            sigpic
            http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
            [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

Yep, a lot of folks are nutz for these. I am glad to include myself amongst them. Marx Toys ....the original Marx Toys, and not the many current pretenders to the throne, really turned the toy industry into what it is today. They pioneeered licensing decades before Mego came on the scene, starting with properties like Amos and Andy and Disney, right up to just about every tv show and movie made in the fifties and sixties. their playsets and figurines were the forerunner of the action figure.....and of course lets not forget the greatest toy line ever---Johnny West and the Best of the West.
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• megoat
                A Therefore Experience
                • Jun 10, 2003

Originally posted by Captain
                ...Actually, it depends on who the figures are. Johnny, Geronimo, Custer, Jane, and Maddox are fairly common, but several others are much more rare. James West,Zeb Zachary or (Gasp) Jed Gibson are worth a small fortune...complete or otherwise. Body color can also dictate if they are worth more or not.
                I'd bet a wooden nickel the figures he saw were the former and not the latter figures....

In my experience the market for BOTW is not even close to the market for Mego. Sure, the rare stuff usually gets action from collectors but common BOTW stuff usually sells for nothing whereas common Mego stuff still commands some decent action....

Yep, a lot of folks are nutz for these. I am glad to include myself amongst them. Marx Toys ....the original Marx Toys, and not the many current pretenders to the throne, really turned the toy industry into what it is today. They pioneeered licensing decades before Mego came on the scene, starting with properties like Amos and Andy and Disney, right up to just about every tv show and movie made in the fifties and sixties. their playsets and figurines were the forerunner of the action figure.....and of course lets not forget the greatest toy line ever---Johnny West and the Best of the West.
                True, Marx was a huge pioneer in the production and evolution of toys in the US of A. I'm a huge fan of a lot of their toys. But IMO, BOTW was not their best work (or any of their action figure lines for that matter). Clunky, heavy and dull. Their playsets and windups were superior, IMO.

Comment

• davidb
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 9, 2007

Just thought I'd update you all. I went back today to see exactly who they had. For $10, they had a Johnny, Sam Cobra, Geronimo, Josie, and Janice West. They all had their hands, but no other accessories. The Johnny had cracks on the back of his shoulders, as well.

I also found one more figure in another booth - a Jane for $15. She has her hands, bandana, hat, skirt, and two vests.

If this sounds like anything anybody'd be interested in, let me know and I'll swing by and pick them up. Thanks!

David B.

Comment

• Judson's
                    • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by The Sentry
                    No kidding? I have a complete Geronimo and Eric and I had no idea that people dug on them, but I had no idea about here until June though.......

I learn something new everyday! Very very cool!
                    [LURKER MODE OFF]

These guys make really nice Marx repro bodies and accessories and custom heads & figures, if you're interested:

Marxman Bros Creations Homepage

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

I'm bumping this post up to draw attenion to the Johnny West/BOTW figures I am offering in MARKETPLACE...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎