• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1975 Big Jim Catalog

Exit sportsman, enter Super Spy

In 1975, things had started to wind down for the good natured adventures of sportsman Big Jim and his crew. A hasty insert to the toyfair catalog this year gives the first traces of the P.A.C.K and the direction that Big Jim would take for the remainder of his shelf life in North America.

Click here to see the 1975 Mattel Big Jim Catalog

More Big Jim Links

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • UnderdogDJLSW
    To Fear is Not Logical...
    • Feb 17, 2008

That Ski set looks great. I wonder how well it actually worked with the figures?
    It's all good!

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
      MeGoing
      • May 14, 2003

This makes me feel like playing with Big Jims right now.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Big Jim was awesome.

As a kid I had the camper van and the deep sea diving set with the giant clam.

All I have left of that now are a few of the doubloons from the treasure chest.

Good memories.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• garagesale
          Dept. of Mego Studies
          • Aug 8, 2006

Thanks for that proto-Pack page. Awesome work. I love the PAcK line... looking at mine right now.

JamesD

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

All I had as a kid was Big Jack, but I did have Barbie's Country Camper, which was the same as the Sports Camper. Well now I do have the Sports Camper, as well as all of the original guys, plus a couple of the PACK guys.

It's interesting to note that Barbie also had the Friendship Jet and the Ski Jump set too. Odd considering they were a whole 2 inches apart.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
              Career Member
              • May 14, 2007

Thanks for posting this catalog! These are the best pics I've ever seen of the proto PACK figures. That Big Jim Commander has a few different items: The red shirt, chest logo, belt buckle, the gun holster, gun and a black powder muskett??? All different than what we got in the stores. Very cool. Now I will be able to build a custom like that prototype.

As a kid, I only had a Big Jim Commander and a Big Josh. Today, I have about 75 figures, 2 MINT Campers, Custom PACK Vans, Custom PACK dune buggys, a ton of outfits, and I also produce repro boxes, repro parts and repro decals. Love me some Big Jim!

Thanks again for posting this catalog!
              Bob

Comment

• babycyclops
                Career Member
                • Jul 9, 2010

Big Jim looks like he could get the job done! These figures were a few years before my time, I vaguely remember TV ads that showed the muscle pumping action.
                I'm amazed at how comprehensive the outfits are: both karate and kung-fu outfits, and even a warm-up outfit.
                The number and variety of vehicles and playsets is striking. Very cool!

Comment

• wilbs518
                  Mego Collector
                  • Jul 25, 2009

Big Jim rocks!
                  sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I think Dr. Steel sort of served as a stand alone character in the beginning. Because his first series box didn't mention the "Pack" or any affiliation with a group. His box basically showcased him as simply a new addition to that existing Big Jim line. I know the period of time between this and his initiation into the Pack was brief. But I can distinctly remember there being a period where he was his own character devoid of a team concept. When the Pack theme was flushed out, they gave him a new box (with Jack Kirby artwork) and added a belt with a Pack belt buckle. So there were slight differences that I remember pretty well.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, I think Dr. Steel was envisioned initially as a sort of adversary figure, particulalrly in relation to Kung-Fu themed BJ items. Chief Tankua was also a separate figure at first, later repurposed into PACK's Warpath.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I remember the original Dr Steel commercial like it was yesterday. He was softly introduced as "Big Jim's greatest challenge", not so much and enemy but a competitor. My mom refused to let me have him, he had a tattoo!
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^How time's have changed. Now your kid's pre-school teacher probably has one, maybe even on their neck!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I went to a beach last year and realized I was the only adult without a tattoo.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Lets all hold Brian down and give him a Pack tattoo on his shoulder.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎