X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Toy Island Universal Monster Figures out on the shelves

Haven't seen them personally but reports are buzzing around the net.

Here is a Michael Crawford review with lots of pictures:
    Universal Monsters action figures - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Michael Crawford, Captain Toy
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • MegoGeek
    From The Black Lagoon
    • Jun 27, 2001

I'm torn. While I love seeing new UM stuff these are very underwhelming.

CFTBL cool (of course)........sadly, all others L.A.M.E. - lame.

After the Sideshow figures I don't know why anyone bothers doing monster stuff.These are on par with the Jakks stuff from a few years ago...crapola.

My prediction: Creature will be nearly impossible to find at retail, all others will be peg warmers.

I give them credit for shipping these a few weeks before Halloween. That might garner some sympathy holiday spirit purchasing that they might not have seen in the middle of summer.
    Last edited by MegoGeek; Oct 19, '07, 3:24 PM.
    ______
    ChArLiE

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

They are kind of underwhelming, I thought the Marvel legends articulation was a good idea but they're not in scale with that stuff so it's kind of moot.

I do think they are a step above the Jakks crap but somehow below the Burger King figures of the ninties...
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toysrus
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 23, 2007

what stores?

Does anybody know what stores carry these? I havent seen them at Toys R Us, Target or Walmart.

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by MegoGeek

After the Sideshow figures I don't know why anyone bothers doing monster stuff.These are on par with the Jakks stuff from a few years ago...crapola.

My prediction: Creature will be nearly impossible to find at retail, all others will be peg warmers.

I give them credit for shipping these a few weeks before Halloween. That might garner some sympathy holiday spirit purchasing that they might not have seen in the middle of summer.
          I gotta agree man,he's the only one who's body doesn't look weird
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Strong agreement on all counts. The Sideshow stuff really spoiled me, I love them. Nothing can touch those, and these new ones don't even come close.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

I thought the tiny head --- big body style was already out of fashion (thank goodness).

Too bad T.I. isn't up with the times.

To be honest, I don't like any of them.

Comment

• ramsey37
                • Jun 18, 2001

I've been meaning to track down the Creature from that set, but it seems like every eBay seller wants to unload the entire set, not just the Creature. I don't have any interest in the rest of that line, sad to say.
                George

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

Gotta agree as well. Except for Creech they look terrible, especially Wolfman
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Count Creepyhead
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jul 28, 2007

My local TRU has had them for a few weeks, if not for the price, I would have grabbed a set.

I think you guys are being a bit too harse on them. The bodies aren't that bad at all and other than Frank, they all have great face sculpts. In person they look really cool. The likenesses aren't there, but unlike Sideshows, these guys are toys and are meant to be played with. and that is one thing we are lacking Monster toys, I'm sick and tired of Monster Collectibles. I don't think the world needs any more Polystone dust collectors.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

What also really hurts them in my opinion, is that the company didn't (or couldn't?) get the likeness rights from the Lugosi, Karloff or Chaney estates. What's the point of doing a Universal Dracula, for example, if it doesn't look anything like Lugosi (not that toy companies haven't gone that same route in the past)?

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

I think they are awesome! I got mine months ago online. Worth every penny. They definitely have a Marvel Legends vibe about them both in sculpts and articulation. Not to mention the massive build a Frank figure.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Count Creepyhead
                          I think you guys are being a bit too harse on them. The bodies aren't that bad at all and other than Frank, they all have great face sculpts. In person they look really cool. The likenesses aren't there, but unlike Sideshows, these guys are toys and are meant to be played with. and that is one thing we are lacking Monster toys, I'm sick and tired of Monster Collectibles. I don't think the world needs any more Polystone dust collectors.
                          Well said.

The Sideshow figures, while great looking, are fragile and have little to no usable articulation. Dracula being the worst unfortunately. He had no articulation below the waist, couldn't stand off his base and is stuck in basically one pose.

Don't get me wrong, again I think the Sideshow figures are great and I bought the whole set, but it's nice to have actual Universal Monster toys again.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• danadoll
                            Micronaut Nut!
                            • Apr 11, 2005

Aaargh!...I may have to get these (even if they're a bit crappy...These don't seem that bad), just like I had to get the Jakks figures (bleh). I just love the Universal Monsters characters...I have a hard time passing on anything related to them.

Dana
                            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Type3Toys
                              Home Of The Type3 Body
                              • Jan 18, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
                              What also really hurts them in my opinion, is that the company didn't (or couldn't?) get the likeness rights from the Lugosi, Karloff or Chaney estates. What's the point of doing a Universal Dracula, for example, if it doesn't look anything like Lugosi (not that toy companies haven't gone that same route in the past)?
                              Actually, they Frank is not Karloff but Glen Strange. The Dracula is not Bela but Chaney from Son of Dracula. Maybe TI could not get the Bela and Karloff estates on board. Either way, the likeness the were going for was nailed.
                              I have them and they are fantastic. The set I have is mounted on the wall in my shop. I would like to pic up a set to open though.
                              LOOK
                              Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                              For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                              To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍