X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sowth
    Career Member
    • Mar 14, 2006

1966 Batman Utility Belt Auction - Wow!

I've been watching this one since it listed, I figured it would finish in the $5,000 - $10,000 range, but wow!

Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams
  • shazam7208
    Career Member
    • Oct 28, 2008

Sweet piece, but your right...WOW on that price!

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
      MeGoing
      • May 14, 2003

Wow indeed. I wish I had things like that stashed in my attic.

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
        Web Wobbler
        • May 12, 2007

A true holy grail.
        Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
        Good Trader List

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I knew it was rare, but MAN!!! Interestingly enough, the Batman Helmet that is made to go with it is readily available fairly cheaply!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

I was following this one as well. I knew it'd go high, didn't expect this tho
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Johny_Utah
              • Aug 1, 2010

Wow. who says the economy is in bad shape. People have 23K to spend on a Batman utility belt. Reminds me 6 months ago a Don Post 1975 Captain Kirk mask sold for 18K. Which was bought by a Halloween collector not Star Trek.

Comment

• geoffdude
                Banned
                • Apr 18, 2009

Yeah.. I was watching this too. Pretty amazing.

Here's the thing though, and I think about this a lot, I'm 48 heading towards 50 pretty quick. How many others are in this same age range that are similar collectors of things I appreciate and enjoy? A good number now for sure, but in 15 - 20 years, probably less. I'm at the stage in life where I have way too much crap saved over the last 35 years. I have comics (FF #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, Green Lantern #1, JlA #1, HULK #181, Showcase #4, Avengers #1, etc,..) I have AURORA Models unbuilt of all the major Super Heroes, MEGO figures of Aquaman VS Shark, Teen Titans, Cap Marvel, Thor, Cap America (all Mint on Card or Box), Lunch Boxes of Green Hornet, Lost in Space, Batman '66, (all complete w/thermoses).. REMCO Voyage to Bottom of Sea Submarine set in box, LIS Robot in Box, 1960s Matchbox Cars w/boxes, Switch "n" Go Batman race set, so on and on and on. I have so much stuff, and money invested, that I'm at a cross-roads on what to do with it all.

For now it seems valuable.. but it's just setting here. If I buy more, then what? I'm getting older, so is it an investment? Or an addiction? I don't know anymore.

For now I'm a guy with lots of stuff... but for the future, I really need to widdle the stuff down, and get the monkey off my back.

And back to the point at hand, while the BM belt set is rare.. it will ONLY be rare while our generation is around.. those who know it's value and appreciate it for what it is. How much longer will that last? 20 years tops? Maybe.. I at least can easily pass on this, especially at that price. And given that many MEGOs plastic materials are breaking down.. how long can this hobby maintain value on degrading items? I don't have that answer... but the limit to the life span on these items will be an issue for all of us, or our children, at some point.

At any rate, just my thoughts.

regards,

g
                Last edited by geoffdude; Nov 23, '10, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 15, 2010

As our generation grows older and we begin to taper off (shudder,) demand and prices for these items are bound to go down, although characters like Batman are "evergreen."

When I was going to toy shows in the 80's, prices were sky high for Howdy Doody and Hopalong Cassidy. Now that stuff doesn't bring nearly what it once did.

If you are considering selling, and want to get top dollar for 60's and 70's toys, I would sell within the next 10 - 15 years.

That belt went for double what I thought it would. Impressive given the state of the global economy.
                  sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 12, 2016

I agree with geoffdude...I use to collect 3 or 4 lines but I've cut back to just Joes...and I don't have kids, so what will I do with it all in the years to come...Been thinking lately of selling my collection but can't bring myself to do it...
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎