X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Milliput questions

I just bought some Milliput and the piece of paper enclosed with it said that Milliput stays good after it's been opened...

Does anyone have a rough idea of how long it'll stay good/soft once it's been opened? Also, what's the best way to store it: Just wrapped in the plastic it came rolled in? Sealed in a container?
  • Bo8a_Fett
    Pat Troughton in disguise
    • Nov 21, 2007

The two sticks have a long shelf life but once mixed the resultant putty is at first soft and highly adhesive and then gradually hardens. Speed of hardening is dependant on temperature and at normal temperatures (20-25ºC) Milliput becomes rock hard in three to four hours. By the application of heat the setting time can be reduced to a few minutes.

After setting hard Milliput continues to cure and is fully cured after an elapse of time equal to the setting time at the same temperature. Once fully cured Milliput can be machined, drilled, tapped, turned, filed, sawn, sandpapered and painted. Milliput can be sandpapered and painted immediately it has set. (it is advisable to wear eye protection during this process).

Milliput is an excellent adhesive and will bond any of the following to itself or to any of the others - wood, brick, cement, metals, concrete, plastics, glass etc, but note that Milliput is not intended as a thin layer adhesive and should not be used where a paste, mucilage or thin glue is indicated. Milliput will set under water and is heat resistant up to 130°C.

Shelf Life:
    We recommend Milliput is stored in cool, dry conditions. Please reseal bags after use. Stored correctly this product should remain workable for about 2 years.

The Epoxy Putty With A Thousand Uses
    ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

I think that two years is either very optomistic, or depends on what part of the country/world you live in. I store mine in a tupperware container, and it is usually unusable after a few months!!??
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Captain
        I think that two years is either very optomistic, or depends on what part of the country/world you live in. I store mine in a tupperware container, and it is usually unusable after a few months!!??
        Really? Are you keeping it in the little plastic bags in the Tupperware?
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Yeah. I use similar stuff that stays good for at least a year. (I usually use it up before that.) Are you storing the two parts separately? Or do they come in that weird dual strip, with both in the same plastic wrap?

Don C.

Comment

• babycyclops
            Career Member
            • Jul 9, 2010

I'm surprised that it goes bad so soon too. I use the stuff up pretty quickly so don't have this problem. In the past though I have bought Milliput that already had the hard crust forming on the catalyst stick.. not good.
            I keep Green Stuff/Duro Epoxy Putty in the fridge, which is meant to extend it's life, but I don't know if that works for Milliput too.
            If you do find a crust forming on the stick you can still use use the soft stuff underneath.

Comment

• YANOULI
              Part-Time Timelord
              • Jan 9, 2006

I'm still using some that i opened over 2 years ago.
              All i do when i finish is wrap it back up in the bag.
              " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• TheDoLittle
                Disco King Discomboblator
                • Oct 24, 2010

Mind you, I tend to use this stuff on a much smaller scales that what you guys normally sculpt in, but I bought some Reaper Kneadatite almost two years ago, stored in a Ziploc baggie, and it's as viable now as when I first got it... and I live in hot, humid, Houston.
                ---
                David O. Little
                -=The DoLittle 8-)=-
                My Blog
                Picasa Web Albums - David Little

Comment

• Captain
                  Fighting the good fight!
                  • Jun 17, 2001

The first batch I bought, I left in the bag...It lasted about 4, maybe 5 months. the next batch I bought went in the tupperware...It doesnt last any longer. The weather here is very volatile....hot dry and dusty in the summer, with lots of thunderstorms. The winters can be cold and dry, or hot and dry depending on which way the wind blows. As they say, if you dont like the weather in Calgary, wait 5 minutes. It changes a lot, and can change fast. Not sure if that is the culprit, or if the model shop I'm getting it from has really old stock or something??? As Babycyclops mentioned, I dont think I've ever bought one that didnt have the crust forming on it right out of the package.Thought that was normal? I dont use that much of it, but it does tick me off that when I do need it, I usually have to go get some more!!!

I'll have to try the Kneadatite. Putting it in the fridge is something I never thought of, but could try as well.
                  "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

I've only used a little bit so far, but right now I have each stick wrapped in the plastic it came in from the manufacturer...

Originally posted by ctc
                    Hmmmm....

Yeah. I use similar stuff that stays good for at least a year. (I usually use it up before that.) Are you storing the two parts separately? Or do they come in that weird dual strip, with both in the same plastic wrap?

Don C.

Comment

• Mok
                      Museum Patron
                      • Mar 4, 2010

I`d say 3 years before it starts to harden on the out side but that is more like a crust while the center stays good .

Ive had mine for over 5 years and there is very little left and i can still scrape some good out of the inside .

I have the standard gray and yellow sticks .
                      ATM-09-ST "Scopedog"

Comment

• babycyclops
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 9, 2010

The first batch I bought, I left in the bag...It lasted about 4, maybe 5 months. the next batch I bought went in the tupperware...It doesnt last any longer. The weather here is very volatile....hot dry and dusty in the summer, with lots of thunderstorms. The winters can be cold and dry, or hot and dry depending on which way the wind blows. As they say, if you dont like the weather in Calgary, wait 5 minutes. It changes a lot, and can change fast. Not sure if that is the culprit, or if the model shop I'm getting it from has really old stock or something??? As Babycyclops mentioned, I dont think I've ever bought one that didnt have the crust forming on it right out of the package.Thought that was normal? I dont use that much of it, but it does tick me off that when I do need it, I usually have to go get some more!!!

I'll have to try the Kneadatite. Putting it in the fridge is something I never thought of, but could try as well.
                        Yep, sounds like the model shop has old stock. If you can source some fresher Milliput without the crust already formed it will likely stay viable for much longer.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎