X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kennermike
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 4, 2007

Shogun Warriors threads

Mattels Shogun Warriors are getting alot of play lately!
  • Mego Superboy Prime
    Career Member
    • Nov 27, 2009

You just gotta love em!!!
    If you're a fan of old-school toys, toons and comics then my blog is the place for you!!!

Comment

• kennermike
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by Mego Superboy Prime
      You just gotta love em!!!
      never had any as a kid a neighboor had DRAGUN I think thats his name

Comment

• Random Axe
        The Voice of Reason
        • Apr 16, 2008

Yeah, I only had the Dragun as well but I still have a soft spot for this line. My buddy had Mazinga and we'd duel. I also had Godzilla but I really don't think of him as part of this line. I really, really want a Raydeen now. I think he was always the most dynamic and best looking of the bunch. I even liked the comic series.

I'd love to see a resurgance of these guys, but I think that's near impossible.

Scott
        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Random Axe

I'd love to see a resurgance of these guys, but I think that's near impossible.

Scott
          Really? Why? They were mostly like rotocast figures with limited posability. The could do them like the HULK figures from the first HULK movie and maybe add some more articualtion.

My brother and I had 2 of the first 3. Mazinga and Raydeen, ( I forget who the third was). Sometime later I had Godzilla.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
            Stuck in a laundry shoot.
            • Oct 8, 2007

Here are mine. Love em.

"Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by MegoRonin
              Great collection!
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Ranger 3
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 25, 2007

Its one of those things that I have some love for now simply because of nostalgia, but as a kid (I had only the big Dragun) I felt the size was neat but the limited articulation was a drawback.

I also have a special place in my heart for the little version of 'Raider' as his parts were used by Kenner to create the prototype rocket-firing Boba Fett in '79. (This is the only one I own now).

M

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by johnmiic
                  Really? Why? They were mostly like rotocast figures with limited posability. The could do them like the HULK figures from the first HULK movie and maybe add some more articualtion.
                  Popy released near exact reissues of three of them in Japan around 10 years ago, but they retailed for the equivalent of $130-200 each. They didn't sell well at all (probably in part due to the high price, and that they picked common ones to reissue, they should have tried the rare ones instead). Diamond ended up picking up the remaining stock to sell in the US (for around $120 each) but I don't think they sold that well. I ordered them through my local comic shop and the owner told me that I was the only one of his customers who actually bought them. Other customers thought they were really cool when they saw them in Diamond's catalog, but thought they were way too expensive to actually buy.
                  Last edited by cjefferys; Nov 10, '10, 4:36 PM.

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

there are the SW stormtrooper and Fett jumbos. Those are modern. And there are a couple of 'retro' jumbos in the Entertainment Earth catalog. So, the idea isn't totally dead. But all the new jumbos are much more expensive than your average figure, take up a whale of a lot of real estate, and don't really have any tie ins to modern properties, so I don't see them filling up the shelves at WalMart any time soon.

Comment

• Random Axe
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Apr 16, 2008

Originally posted by johnmiic

My brother and I had 2 of the first 3. Mazinga and Raydeen, ( I forget who the third was). Sometime later I had Godzilla.

I just thought it would be a cost/demand issue. They would have to charge 150 plus or more and there wouldn't be that many buyers. Potential customers, as always, would focus on vintage. I guess that's like the Trek Mego/EMCE thing, so maybe my theory doesn't hold water.

If some toy company buys into this lisence, maybe they could do the 24 inch scale and add articulation.
                      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>I just thought it would be a cost/demand issue.

I think it WOULD be.... part of the problem being the originals were simple blow-molded figures. Dunno if the current collector crowd would go for that.

>If some toy company buys into this lisence,

I think THAT would be a major cost too. The originals are from all kinds of different properties out of Japan, so you'd have to negotiate with each individually. And for a Shogun Warrior reissue proper you'd need to strike a deal with Mattel too. (I bet a big reason the recent Storm Trooper was so pricey was the license fee.)

....but it's not IMPOSSIBLE. And it would rock to have some ginat toy robots that shoot stuff....

Don C.

Comment

• mazinz
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by ctc
                          >I just thought it would be a cost/demand issue.

I think it WOULD be.... part of the problem being the originals were simple blow-molded figures. Dunno if the current collector crowd would go for that.

>If some toy company buys into this lisence,

I think THAT would be a major cost too. The originals are from all kinds of different properties out of Japan, so you'd have to negotiate with each individually. And for a Shogun Warrior reissue proper you'd need to strike a deal with Mattel too. (I bet a big reason the recent Storm Trooper was so pricey was the license fee.)

....but it's not IMPOSSIBLE. And it would rock to have some ginat toy robots that shoot stuff....

Don C.
                          well if the soon to be Gaiking moive becomes a hit, we may just have that--
                          "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                            Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                            • Oct 8, 2007

"Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎