X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Collecting Ephemera

While my lovely spouse is tremendously understanding and does "get" toy collecting now after a decade of exposure, she still is a bit baffled by the concept of collecting what is probably best described as Ephemera. All those bits and pieces that most people see as completely disposable and what everyone else seems to just throw away without any thought. Even beyond normal toy packaging/boxes/blister cards or inserts like instruction sheets/mail order promos/product catalogues.

Most people know that the little toys in cereal boxes are collectible, so why would they find it silly to collect the cereal box promoting that particular premium along with the premiums?

The Marvel or DC branded tags that come with clothing I buy are taken and stored in card-sleeves and put into binders. I'll obsessively keep all the promotional post cards and book marks that they stick in with your purchased comics at the comic store... for my collection spanning from the eighties (I mean who else in their right mind cares about small promo cards for ridiculous forgotten series from the eighties like Electric Warrior, Strikeforce Morituri, Sonic Blasters, Damage Controle or Kickers Inc? You can find the actual comics littering the quarter bins, but the promo postcard... not a chance)

Does your family now pretend to look the other way as you take that brown paper happy meal bag or fast food paper placemat after eating at McDonalds? I will admit I once shamefully took a menu from Evil Dead the musical towards the end of the run because I couldn't bear the thought of no proof in the future that this item did indeed exist (along with the record of some of the themed drinks on them that were produced for the show).

Are collecting tin pop cans still considered odd for example now that they have produced a great many limited edition or cross promotional cans for stuff like Star Wars specifically with the collectors in mind?

What do you consider in the category of Ephemera, and what do you collect? Is there any form of ephemera that you yourself would consider odd to collect?
    Last edited by samurainoir; Nov 1, '10, 12:28 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I don't know that I collect such things, but I have to admit, I do not throw pretty much ANYTHING that comes with the modern toys I buy.

I know how stoked I get when my Mego Cher has the little catalog still on the box or the Dynamite magazine I grabbed still has the 3-d glasses attached. I think that drives me to try and keep the experience of handling a collectible as close to what it was like the first day it was released. I mean its cool to have that McDonalds hand puppet I had as a kid, but so much cooler to have the Happy Meal container it came in or even the booklet that had the gift certificates I used to buy it. With that in mind, nothing gets thworn away.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎