Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Mego Museum cards reignited your card-collecting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Have Mego Museum cards reignited your card-collecting?

It had reached a certain point where I just had piles of Mego and Plaid Stallions lying around that folks have included with purchases, so I went out and bought binders and card sleeves and spent a delightful afternoon sorting through them.

I then noticed that at most toy and comic shows, the glut of the nineties that had swallowed up a number of collecting fields produced piles and piles of wonderful cardsets that the card dealers/speculators were practically giving away.

So started buying some of those, particularly many of the fantasy artist driven series, and then went out and also bought binders and sleeves to look at and display those. I wish they had card sleeves back in the day like that. It sure beats the big fat pile you carried around with a rubber band for trading... "got em, got me need em got em"

Plus a couple of members have hooked me up with the new Wacky Packages, so getting those has begun in earnest.

A friend of mine also recently introduced me to the concept of Artist Sketch Cards, which is a cool way of collecting and owning little pieces of original art.

I collect Frazetta, Boris, Richard Corben, Joe Jusko, Mad Magazine covers, Wacky Packages, and I'm currently obsessed with Mars Attacks and Dinosaurs Attacks, as well as other painted series like Batman by Norman Saunders. Trying desperately not to get hooked into Garbage Pail kids given the sheer amount of them, but it's hard to resist them as part of that lineage of Pulp Painters, Underground Cartoonists, Mad Magazine style of parody.

What cards series do you collect other than the MM and PS?
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • generic
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 25, 2009

I collect a lot of the 70s Movie and TV cards, old and new Wacky Packages, many different DC and Marvel series, Music related cards and many more. My favorites are Batman, KISS, Wacky Packages, and of course Mego Museum and Plaid Stallions!
    Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• wolfie
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 31, 2007

Everything which is why i can't get in the bedroom.

I would love to say i only collect certain types of cards but i'm afraid Everything just about sums it up for me.

Comment

• megoapesnut
        The name says it all!
        • Dec 3, 2007

The only cards I collect other the MM are football cards. I have a few sets and am currently trying to complete my 69 Topps set (ALMOST finished). Plus I have some loose autographed cards.

Comment

• thomasjo_2093
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 13, 2009

I have collected cards since I was 9 years old. I still have every Topps baseball set from 1977 to current. I wish I still had my old Star Wars, Jaws, Welcome Back Kotter, Charlies Angels, King Kong, and many others. They all fell victim to the many moves that I made when I was younger. The MM and PS cards are awesome, they always bring back cool memories when I look at them.

John

Comment

• Richard J. Fowlks
            repeat offender
            • Feb 10, 2010

The MM cards have definitely fueled my Mego collecting AND card collecting. Like you all, I'm recreating the card sets I had as a kid: the original Star Wars sets, GI Joe, comic book sets, some great old movie cards (TRON, Black Hole, Superman Movie, Alien).

Just recently I have procured from the fine folks here a repro Mars Attacks! set, Dinos Attack (same artist as the Mars series) and a set that absolutely floored me: a repro set of the Batman cards from the '60s. The artwork on this stuff is just priceless: cheezy fun AND amazing artwork!!!

I'm currently trying to find some more Star Wars cards and older Marvel cards.

Comment

• Obibob
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jul 27, 2007

I too collect just about everything: DC/Marvel/Star Wars/Star Trek/Bond/Fantasy Art/Movies/TV - I'm really heavy into most of the 60's stuff - especially TV shows. I have well over 250,000 cards in my collection (not counting individual singles, chase, and sets that I keep for trade/sale). Recently, I've been concentrating more on older sets (including tobacco) and foreign promotional releases (and of course keeping my Mego Museum and Plaid Stallions sets current!) Actually, I still need a Lincoln Mummy and Slime sticker to finish my set - anyone out there willing to share?

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Richard J. Fowlks

Just recently I have procured from the fine folks here a repro Mars Attacks! set, Dinos Attack (same artist as the Mars series) and a set that absolutely floored me: a repro set of the Batman cards from the '60s. The artwork on this stuff is just priceless: cheezy fun AND amazing artwork!!!
                I'm a HUGE fan of pulp artists Norm Saunders and Earl Norem (I believe he's best known in toys as the He Man painter).

The Norm Saunders hardcover coffee table book is well worth the money for the BIG reproductions of the Batman, Wacky Packages and Mars Attacks paintings (amongst the rest of the pulp magazine artwork in this treasure-trove).

I recently discovered that there was a Dinosaurs Attack tie in comic book from Eclipse. Only one issue came out, but Earl Norem paints the initial sequence of Dinosaurs arriving in the present wreaking havok. It also includes four bonus cards that are hilarious (a Three Men and a Baby spoof)!

It's a darn shame that Dinosaurs Attack did not do so well commercially. I think it was just a few years before it's time. Supposedly Tim Burton wanted to do Dinosaurs Attack more than Mars Attack, but Jurassic Park beat him to the punch.
                Last edited by samurainoir; Nov 2, '10, 8:41 PM.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• clemso
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 8, 2001

Collecting MM cards has encouraged, inspired me to buy the odd other line. But also because they have a retro feel to them. I do get nostalgic about what cards I did collect such as Star Wars and the Batman 60s tv series.

Comment

• Richard J. Fowlks
                    repeat offender
                    • Feb 10, 2010

Originally posted by samurainoir
                    I recently discovered that there was a Dinosaurs Attack tie in comic book from Eclipse. Only one issue came out, but Earl Norem paints the initial sequence of Dinosaurs arriving in the present wreaking havok. It also includes four bonus cards that are hilarious (a Three Men and a Baby spoof)!

It's a darn shame that Dinosaurs Attack did not do so well commercially. I think it was just a few years before it's time. Supposedly Tim Burton wanted to do Dinosaurs Attack more than Mars Attack, but Jurassic Park beat him to the punch.
                    Wow! That's awesome and a great bit of trivia. The cards are a ton of fun, and isn't that what this is all supposed to be about?

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎