X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The 1973 Ben Cooper Catalog gets Groovy

The name “Ben Cooper” and “Halloween” are pretty synonymous to children of the 1970s/ The company produced a staggering amount of items devoted to October 31st and chances are if your parents used “store bought” costumes, they were from Ben Cooper.

1973 like every year is a load of fun, lots of popular licenses (including the insanely logical Groovy Goolies) , popular generics and neat-o stuff like Jigglers which were popular year round.

Click Here to Explore the 1973 Ben Cooper Halloween Catalog

More Halloween Costume Goodness:

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Those Groovie Goolies are a bit weird, but Bella La Ghostly? Fantastic
    The Famous Names are really cool tho. What's strange to me is that they dedicate a page to Charlie Chaplin and other Funny People, but they don't even show a pic of the Chaplin costume.
    And there's something weird with these eyes. And here we do get to see Chaplin
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
      Web Wobbler
      • May 12, 2007

I love Ben Cooper and would love to have an entrie room full of these. Currently though, I am infatuated with the Collegeville Universal Monsters costumes.
      Last edited by vintage spideyfan; Oct 30, '10, 6:31 AM.
      Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
      Good Trader List

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

I am astounded at the sheer number of costumes both companies put out during its prime. I wonder how little it cost to churn these out. It couldn't have been that much if they could react to new characters. Not to mention the potential loss involved in putting out lesser known characters (I mean, Monster Squad?? Really? What loser kid wanted that one )

I honestly think these costumes are one of the most shared experiences for people our age. Its almost as far reaching as TV was in the 70's.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Meule
          Those Groovie Goolies are a bit weird, but Bella La Ghostly? Fantastic
          The Famous Names are really cool tho. What's strange to me is that they dedicate a page to Charlie Chaplin and other Funny People, but they don't even show a pic of the Chaplin costume.
          There was a page for the chaplin costume but it was destroyed, some graphic designer cut out all the heads.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

The Frankenstein jiggler that appears to be only wearing undies is disturbing.

Great stuff!!! Did the Spider-Man costume ever come with the bottom part of the mouth showing like that? Mine came with the same mask shown as a single with no suit.

chris
            sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

All kinds of 70s grooviness! I love the Groovie Ghoulies outfits! I think it's really interesting that the Spider-man pictured w/ the costume has some human face showing, while the mask pictured solo doesn't. Since I was Superman today, (made up of pieces of existing costumes that weren't Supes, but came close enough), I was wearing a mask, and one of my kids wanted to know why I was wearing it, since Superman doesn't. I simply told him that I wear glasses, and I know Superman doesn't, and I need to hide them behind the mask.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Those Ghoulies rock!
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Mego Superboy Prime
                  Career Member
                  • Nov 27, 2009

Ben Cooper is greatnesssss.
                  If you're a fan of old-school toys, toons and comics then my blog is the place for you!!!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎