Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found my holly grail (this weeks New pick up)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karen-bionic-fan
    Banned
    • Feb 13, 2010

I found my holly grail (this weeks New pick up)

Hope you like seeing my new pick up its a MIB Palitoy 1978 Superstar Doll , been looking for one for years and only seen one for sale ages ago on e bay
    Iv taken some good photos for the people who are interested in her , iv had a lot of response from a lot of people and found out a lot of information on her , this boxed version is in superb condition perfect hair and the box is great for a 1978 original ..... Got a blythe Doll as well a retro one from 2007
    and some other 70s stuff ... maybe one day I will sell something and get an original ...

Enjoy the photos ...

The doll is taller than Cher (mego doll) taller than Farrah + Wonder woman
    She has no name on her head but on her body she has the mego company written on her back , someone said she was a re used other mego doll "Toni"
    Not so palitoy(superstar) head is bigger with a smaller nose and a different mouth & she has ears and different eye colour and as iv said the doll is taller
    she is not reused "Toni" completely different doll I will post a lot of information on Superstar later .... some very interesting got a superb deal on the Palitoy S/D.... post later

Going to customize this Blythe doll trying to get an original feel

Last edited by Karen-bionic-fan; Oct 28, '10, 12:10 PM.
  • LadyZod
    Superman's Gal Pal
    • Jan 27, 2007

awesome!

Always glad to hear a happy ending in a grail search!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

awesome!! congrats
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• BOTZWANA
        spam
        • May 28, 2009

I gotta tell ya Bionic Fan....For me ya got some different tastes in childhood memories then me but that's ok. Glad you got your holy grail. If I saw them, I would pass them right by because I don't like dollies.

Comment

• clemso
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 8, 2001

Congrats on getting your grail, you must be ecstatic.

Comment

• wilbs518
            Mego Collector
            • Jul 25, 2009

Congrats
            sigpic

Comment

• Karen-bionic-fan
              Banned
              • Feb 13, 2010

Originally posted by clemso
              Congrats on getting your grail, you must be ecstatic.

Thanks , yes I am ecstatic I really did not believe Id really get it thought something will go wrong , must be true good things happen to people who wait well pleased .

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

Congratulations Karen, I am really thrilled for you.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                  GLOWS in the Dark!
                  • May 3, 2006

Very cool, congrats!

Comment

• Karen-bionic-fan
                    Banned
                    • Feb 13, 2010

In 1978 palitoy company issued and introduced a nearly 13inch high vinyl Doll Called simply "Superstar" issued exclusively for the UK Market

This beautiful doll has painted features and full rooted eyelashes and dashing blue eyes , and super long blond hair that you could style and wash and blow dry , her marketing ploy and advertisement was "Superstar doll A doll with a style of her own! she'll go far dressed like a star . her clothes range consisted of clothes that belonged to Cher and other mego dolls However there was special outfits that was a send away only exclusively Her own , on the back of the box you could collect little diamond cut outs and then send a stamp to palitoy and you would get sent an exclusive outfit ,

Her body is the same as other mego celebrity female figures/ dolls but she is taller than all of them , and unlike most Mego Dolls she has no stamp on her head, however she has the mego logo on her body .

The Doll in her original box is dressed in a Silver lurex halter neck evening gown there are two versions of the dress one is heavy and less sparkly the other is super thin but more glittery and dont snag as easy as the thicker version and the thinner dress has a different cut slightly , her box is bigger than most female mego boxes , interestingly the font used on the box is the same as the original cher box but "Superstars" box is wider and the top of the box dont have a flap the inside of the box has a fancy Hollywood looking street at night and the picture is bevelled and the doll stands in the middle , like other mego Figures she has a stand in pure white and interestingly has 1978 palitoy written on it , the back of the box has outfits you can buy and send away for .

The fashions for Superstar had 4 different collections 1, star collection 2, starglow 3, stardust collection and all come in massive packing in different colours back of the packing show outfits from all collections each outfit packet is the same as the Diana ross clothes and the slimline farrah outfits
                    think card with plastic window including outfits and shoes .

Superstar Is a light skinned doll, very tall and all 4 dolls I own has no nasty mego melts , her hair is the same used for most mego female dolls and can frizz easy she has typical mego green marks on her ankle one of my ones has no marks ...its been said this Superstar doll is a Mego Figure Toni I beg to differ the face on both dolls are different size Toni has no ears and her nose is much wider than Superstar and the mouth is different from a distance there is a resemblance but that's where it ends and superstar smile lines as cute the toni doll has harsh smile lines .

I have been told she was sold for 8.99 and her outfits was 3.99 pounds each or more for the designer collection , she was marketed in the same way Cher Diana ross and Farrah was sold as far as I know there was no advert produced for her but she did appear in British catalogues , I was told she was mass produced but I find it strange that hardly any show up so this would be a bit of a contradiction Iv only seen 4 on UK e bay this year all de boxed and in various condition , the first time I seen a MIB one was last week and I had to get her Apparently someone sold there boxed version early this year a private collector and sold it for 400 pounds , palitoy must have had high hopes for her as the box is very well made and they did push the promo advertisement for her I know she listed in 4 catalogues I own 4 of her boxed outfits .

If anyone has any more information to add to this please let me know .

Comment

• lv73nova
                      Museum Patron
                      • Mar 24, 2010

Hey Karen, Congrats on your find, I just sent you a PM about some items you wanted me to hold, please just let me know one way or another.

Steve

Comment

• Karen-bionic-fan
                        Banned
                        • Feb 13, 2010

Originally posted by lv73nova
                        Hey Karen, Congrats on your find, I just sent you a PM about some items you wanted me to hold, please just let me know one way or another.

Steve

Hiya thanks all

Steve I will message you shortly

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
                          Web Wobbler
                          • May 12, 2007

Congrats on securing a grail piece Karen! You have a fantastic collection.
                          Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
                          Good Trader List

Comment

• Karen-bionic-fan
                            Banned
                            • Feb 13, 2010

Originally posted by vintage spideyfan
                            Congrats on securing a grail piece Karen! You have a fantastic collection.

Hey thanks very much I just love all the nostalgia and hunting down a must have

Comment

• vulcan2074
                              Live Long and Prosper
                              • Mar 23, 2008

Congrats Karen. Thats beyond Amazing.
                              Sammy

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎