X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Gre-Gory is a loser?

From the "parents just don't understand" file, I bring you a 1980 report crapping on a toy that any ten year old knows to be awesome, Gre-Gory the Vampire bat. The group questioned it's play value? It's big bat filled with blood, do I need to spell it out for you?

I can't go a Halloween season it seems without talking about Gre-Gory (something I have always pronounced "Gree-gory") . Always wanted one, never so much as held one and it's starting to get a touch old.

Aggggh!
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

The same friend I had who had the Remco Mini-Monsters, the Tomy Monster Maker Rub-Thing, the Inflatable Drac, etc, had Gre-Gory too. He was indeed, very cool.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Not sure if you're saying it the same way, but I think I always pronounced it "gre-GOR-ee" to accentuate the Gory portion.

Also, I'm not quite sure why the "Americans fo Democratic Action" are rating toys. Are toys the latest tools for undermining Freedom and Democracy in America? I didn't think we would start carelessly throwing about these words to loosely cover our own political agendas until the late 90's.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
        Stuck in a laundry shoot.
        • Oct 8, 2007

What do Parents know, anyway? I absolutely loved my GreGory, the Bat. I still want him back.
        "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• Mr.Krusher
          Banned
          • Oct 25, 2010

I got my Gre-Gory for Christmas when I was seven or eight. What a year - Gre-Gory, Krusher, and a couple of Trek Megos!

I remember being impressed with his WEIGHT and used to have a ball looping his feet around a stick and swinging him around my head in the backyard.

I have VERY clear memories of going to Zayres and Caldor in Glens Falls, NY and seeing bins and racks full of discounted Megos and the like, well into the early 80s. Man, if I only knew then what I know now.

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 20, 2008

Originally posted by Wee67
            Not sure if you're saying it the same way, but I think I always pronounced it "gre-GOR-ee" to accentuate the Gory portion.

Also, I'm not quite sure why the "Americans fo Democratic Action" are rating toys. Are toys the latest tools for undermining Freedom and Democracy in America? I didn't think we would start carelessly throwing about these words to loosely cover our own political agendas until the late 90's.
            Oh no, there were lots of conservative organizations operating like this since since the 1980s.

Sean

Comment

• generic
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by Mr.Krusher
              I have VERY clear memories of going to Zayres and Caldor in Glens Falls, NY and seeing bins and racks full of discounted Megos and the like, well into the early 80s. Man, if I only knew then what I know now.
              I very clearly remember a wall of discounted 8" Mego Superheroes (probably 10 figures wide, 8 figures tall and 6 figures deep) at $0.97 each. At the time, I was collecting something else, but felt motivated to go back and pick up some Megos just because they're so damn cool. However, I was too late. By the time I returned, they were all gone. I'll never know if they actually sold all of those figures in the time between my visits or *gasp* threw them away. I suspect that since I wasn't really playing with Megos at the time, they would have stayed carded. This memory haunts me.
              Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

They all sound like they've got a stick up their butts.

Comment

• torgospizza
                  Theocrat of Pan Tang
                  • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by Wee67
                  Al Gore's wife was hassling Zappa and other artists in congressional hearings back in '85 HUAC-style, so this is easy to believe. People are always trying to control the actions and tastes of others for their own betterment, whether we're dealing with Carrie Nation or Sayyid Qutb. I can see retailers making darn well sure kids aren't exposed to anatomically correct Tom of Finland dolls, but it's not enough of an issue to enact legislation, when consumers themselves can force companies to do the right thing on their own by voting with their dollars.

Comment

• megocrazy
                    Museum Trouble Maker
                    • Feb 18, 2007

The title of this thread made me angry for a moment. But I got over it after reading it.
                    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

The blood in my Gre-Gory dried out.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎