X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

Monster In My Pocket

Never realized that some of these guys had become so collectable. I've been in possession of some really rare MIMP figures for the last few years. More than likely I got these guys in some mixed bags of small toys at Value Village.

Turns out they were some rare series 3 that was only available through a short run Shreddies cereal premium promo here in Canada. I sold 6 for $50 BIN's (a piece) on the bay and it took less than a few hours and they were gone. I only had a couple of completed auction listings to base my price on, and I'm more than happy with the result, but I wonder what I could have gotten had I run them as auctions.

I like the line, but these particular guys didnt hold any special significance to me. Any fans of these toys here on the board?
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

>Any fans of these toys here on the board?

They're kind of a near-miss for me. They did a lot of cool stuff, but I didn't collect the figures. The CARDS on the other hand, were a severe obsession for a while. You'd get them at 7/11.

The tv show was a near-miss too.

>Turns out they were some rare series 3 that was only available through a short run Shreddies

Really? I got a bunch of those around here somewhere. I had a friend at the U who actually LIKED Shreddies, and not monsters (go fig) and she'd bring them to me.

Don C.

Comment

• tay666
      Career Member
      • Dec 27, 2008

This is one of those lines I keep thinking about collecting, but haven't gotten around to yet.

I thought they were cool when they came out. And my son was the right age for them then. So we would grab some every now and then.
      He had a whole bunch of them, but not sure what happened to them.

Some day I will go for it. Though I know, with the way I collect, I will need to get each one in every color they came out in.

Comment

• bgrimm77
        NORTHEAST REPRESENTATIVE
        • Jan 4, 2009

I have no idea what you guy's are talking about. Any pics or a brief history?
        WHEREVER YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE AT

Comment

• generic
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by bgrimm77
          I have no idea what you guy's are talking about. Any pics or a brief history?
          They were little figures about the size of Smurfs that Matchbox released starting in 1990. They were each one solid color in the beginning but got slightly more complicated paint jobs starting with wave 4. Depending on how you count the waves, they made it to at least 7 different waves and somewhere around 200 different figures. Some were glow-in-the-dark. Some were promo items with other purchases (like cereal). Although I thought some of the figures were amazingly cool, the majority of the figures in each wave seemed kind of lame to me. I've thought several times of collecting them, but there were just more misses than hits and I suspect that if I started, I'd feel the need to get every one in each color variation!

Here are a few of the ones that I think are cool from wave 1:

Here's a link to a website with photos of just about every one:

Monster in my Pocket
          Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• babycyclops
            Career Member
            • Jul 9, 2010

I was more into M.U.S.C.L.E. wrestlers that were released at about the same time. They are a similar size to the MIMP figures. I still have a pretty good stash of MUSCLE figures.

http://www.raumhafen.de/galerie/rubb...cle/index.html

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

MUSCLE and MIMP are actually about five or more years apart.......

MUSCLE was mid-80s, MIMP was 1994 or later.
              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• babycyclops
                Career Member
                • Jul 9, 2010

Originally posted by Mister Blisterfists
                MUSCLE and MIMP are actually about five or more years apart.......

MUSCLE was mid-80s, MIMP was 1994 or later.
                Wow, I guess you're right. Seems I've compressed time

Comment

• tay666
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by generic
                  Here's a link to a website with photos of just about every one:

Monster in my Pocket
                  Wow, great link.
                  If I had any money to blow right now, I'd be real tempted to hit ebay and start my collection after looking through that site.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Neat little figures. I have a bunch of them packed up somewhere in my monster stuff. Never did play the battle game with them. Just liked the sculpts.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrueDave
                      Toy Maker
                      • Jan 12, 2008

My friend has a mail away vacu form collector wall display thing. Pretty cool. She still has it up. She doesnt know about the rare ones.

I liked that they made a Springheel Jack. my favorite boogeymen. They got him wrong IMO

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎