Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we search for toys from childhood?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karen-bionic-fan
    Banned
    • Feb 13, 2010

Why do we search for toys from childhood?

My love of toys , games has been life long even as a kid in the late 70s I only remember 1977, 1978, 1979 , 1980 ( just about) I remember the TV and all the adverts and TV specials we was aloud to watch , Christmas was a 70s dream and I was always fascinated by the box art the kids on the box , and I would play the games and toys just like the box hahahah and if I got it wrong I thought I was rubbish , some toys eluded me(at the time) I got my first bionic stuff in 1980 from a local shop after seeing re runs of the show on TV , really could not believe there they were , all through the 80s any 70s toys I seen at jumble sales Id try and buy them , or fix them up , in a way saving them as loads used to laugh at me "why do you collect old crap"? who is laughing now? iv sold some of my old crap for 100s of pounds over the years

I still get a major buzz out of collecting and I have no interest in selling my stuff really the money is second to it all (wish I had more) most of my cash is for my collection Collecting is a bit of a illness ( a good one iv done it years and have no desire to stop) I still get a major buzz from tracking things down , and my attitude has changed iv moved on to doing customs , sorting figures and collecting de boxed stuff lol @ one point if it was not boxed Id consider is rubbish , I enjoy doing up old figures searching for items for it ..
    But sometimes Iv had hassle from Some family members or boyfriends who thought I was taking it all to far , all I say is this is what I do!!! its my thing
    some are sportive and enjoy seeing it ,

Do any of you feel guilty over the money you spend on your collection? I used to but hey if you dont spend the cash no ones gonna hand you it free!!

Toys I never had but loved playing I own now , cant say why some are cheep rubbish I own a vintage guess Who And I love playing it the 90s ones are cheep rubbish , I have a room in my house I call the 70s room the décor and all the stuff in it is 70s will take a picture once finished

Iv seriously collected all this stuff from about 1993 I spent £120 on a boxed Oscar Goldman from a collector in England at the time I did think lol what are you doing hahahaha I still do charity shops but there not like the late 80s early 90s the 70s stuff iv found in there was amazing if i seen one Jaws game I seen 100 , same with mego figures most I let go...... and iv had stick sometimes at memorabilia fairs from men seller thinking Iv got no idea and was trying to rip me off lol until I told them what year it was made the state of the box and what version it was lol that was years ago times have changed its not just boys and there toys now girls can collect just as much ..
    Rant over .
    Last edited by Karen-bionic-fan; Oct 16, '10, 6:39 AM.
  • jds1911a1
    Alan Scott is the best GL
    • Aug 8, 2007

at times I miss being single when I could spend money on toys without haveing to worry about wht I'm taking money from. Now I have an "allotment" of my income that I use to buy toys the same way other men might spend on a night drinking beer, or a giant tv or the latest video game. I have sold some stuff but only extras and in a few instances to make the mortgage payments when my wife was out of work (those really hurt since they were things I really didn't want to let go)

for me I am a husband and a father of 3 with an autistic child. Toys are my way to for a few minutes let go of my responsibilty and remember the time when I had no worries

Comment

• LadyZod
      Superman's Gal Pal
      • Jan 27, 2007

I've always been rather thrifty in my toy buying. So luckily I don't have much guilt when I buy something. If it's over my budget, or some outbids me, I figure, they wanted it more.

I've learned to be happy with what little I do have in my collection. (Which isn't that little, but more so than others I've seen.) If I manage to find something new, yay! If not, no harm.

But as to the question, why we search for toys?

I think that is a personal question each of us must ask ourselves. There is no right answer or wrong answer.

I find certain things I buy because I never had them as a child, and buying them in some strange way makes me feel like I righted a wrong.

Others things I had, that I re-buy are things that allow me to feel a connection to my past. They bring back happy memories, and in short make me happy to see them once again. It's almost like going home again.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
      Check out my art:
      Art Portfolio@Redbubble
      Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I just really like the look and style of toys from the 60s to 80s. Some of it is probably nostalgia and some of it isn't. There are lots of toys that I wasn't even aware of as a child or came out before I was born that I really dig.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Why? Cause I'm still mad my mom made me sell my stuff at a garage sale....
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Part nostalgia and the whole "inner child" thing, getting the stuff you always wanted as a kid. I had a hard time finding a good assortment of WGSH as a kid, so it was a wonderland for me when I got into vintage toys.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

I want the "perfect toy collection" that as a kid I could never get close to...
              I don't think it's odd that I lean towards older toys, as I "did" grow up wanting
              toys from 1974-1984....there's newer stuff I want but most of it centers on
              what I wanted when I was a kid.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                I had a hard time finding a good assortment of WGSH as a kid, so it was a wonderland for me when I got into vintage toys.
                Getting my first WGSH RIDDLER in the mail from Mike Haspiel was one of the
                greatest moments in my life.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

Collecting toys takes me to a happy place Great memories of me with my brother and sister when there wasn't a worry in the world

I usually just the use the profits from flipping other toys so it doesn't hurt my wallet
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                    Part nostalgia and the whole "inner child" thing, getting the stuff you always wanted as a kid.

Yeah, what Brian said. Childhood was the best time in my life, and my toys help me remember and relive it.
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• vulcan2074
                      Live Long and Prosper
                      • Mar 23, 2008

I Love the way that toy collecting makes me feel. Not only is it my happy place but it's so much fun to do. Sometimes I feel lke an explorer searching high and low for treasure, lol.

I've been collecting toys for a very long time. My family likes that I have this wonderful hobby. My Girlfriend thinks its adorable. I don't worry to much about the money. Reason being is, at least I have something to show for it. Thats my reasoning and I'm sticking to it, LOL.

Sammy

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                        Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                        • Oct 8, 2007

Because I never intended to give them away when Mom took them to the Church yardsale in the first place, so I want em back.
                        "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• Sandman9580
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 16, 2010

What I want to know is why anyone would not search for toys from their childhood. I thought toys were really cool when I was a kid. I liked watching movies and TV shows, too. I liked eating food and making art and going to the park and being with my friends. I still like all that stuff. So why should just one of those things change?

It kind of makes you wonder what's wrong with people who don't collect.

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Sandman9580
                            What I want to know is why anyone would not search for toys from their childhood. I thought toys were really cool when I was a kid. I liked watching movies and TV shows, too. I liked eating food and making art and going to the park and being with my friends. I still like all that stuff. So why should just one of those things change?

It kind of makes you wonder what's wrong with people who don't collect.
                            Well there are many children who, when they become adults,
                            drink more beer than milk, or eat more asparagus than cookies,
                            or in the case of OUR scenario, collect more stereo equipment
                            or kitchen cutlery than dolls or action figures.

Which ever way you go is normal to me... I wouldn't judge one way or another.

Comment

• tllgn
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 6, 2010

as a kid,from a big family,i am the only one who collects toys,why?i cant really say,its just that i had such a great time as a kid .no worrys about money,work,or all the adult things,just go to school and and come home and play with megos with your siblings and friends,eat candy,read comics and watch gilligans island.time goes slow when your young,and fast when your an old guy,you get caught up in the daily rush,and wow its gone.having these toys reminds me how much fun is when your a kid.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎