X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Big Frankie and the Monsters

Cheating a bit here as this item came out slightly before the 1970s but I've always been fascinated with Aurora kits and this wonderful item in particular. Basically it's a super deformed version of Boris Karloff and to my surprise, this wasn't a hit when released in the mid 1960s. I'm guessing the $6.49 price tag might have had a lot to do with it.

I can't imagaine how many of the regular Aurora Monster kits I've gone through in my 40 years on this planet. It's an annual tradition for my kids and I put together a set of these every October, I end up doing most of the work but it's a really fun way to spend a Saturday, if you have kids I highly recommend the experience.

This is from our display from two years ago, this year it's all about the Creature from the Black Lagoon, which I'm sure I'll share.

If you're into all things Aurora and monsters you might want to check out this recently released DVD titled "The Aurora Monsters" Hosted by Zacherley the cool ghoul and features interviews with the people behind the cool kits like artist James Bama as well as famous Aurora Monster Model collectors.

I'd like to review it for the blog but I can't seem to find a way to get anybody to ship it to Canada. If anybody can enlighten me, drop a line!

Aurora Monsters Catalog and Gallery
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

That big Frankie looks cool.
    And I'll keep your annual Halloween tradition in mind
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

Looks like fun.

Comment

• Godzilla
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 3, 2002

I love your idea with the kids and models, so I tried it this year with my 6 and 4 year old boys. I got a couple of the Mobeius Monster scenes (The Giant Insect and Dr Deadly) and let them go at it. The kits are snap together which my 6 year old could do all by himself and I got to help the 4 year old. They painted them and they've been on our dining room table for a week now. They loved it and I'm already planning for next year with a giant dinosaur theme.
        Mortui Vivos Docent
        The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 20, 2008

Big/Gigantic Frankie has recently been re-released by Moebious Models. Also available in a never before seen Glow version.

Sean

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I took you advice and picked up a Revell re-issue of the Mummy at K-Mart a month ago, for a rainy day project with my son. A few weeks later he took a nasty fall and dislocated his hip and pulled some tendons, so he was on crutches for a week. The Mummy was a great project for us to do together when his soccer season was cut short!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• vulcan2074
              Live Long and Prosper
              • Mar 23, 2008

Aurora monster models rule. I have a few and I Love them. Their so cool.
              Sammy

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

Hey Brian, thank you for letting me know the exisitence of such a dvd. In the next few weeks will see what I can do
                "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Great kit and one of the few Aurora monsters I don't have.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• starsky
                    veteran member
                    • Aug 26, 2007

cool pic!!

Comment

• tay666
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by Godzilla
                      I love your idea with the kids and models, so I tried it this year with my 6 and 4 year old boys. I got a couple of the Mobeius Monster scenes (The Giant Insect and Dr Deadly) and let them go at it. The kits are snap together which my 6 year old could do all by himself and I got to help the 4 year old. They painted them and they've been on our dining room table for a week now. They loved it and I'm already planning for next year with a giant dinosaur theme.
                      Great idea.
                      Those are some really good kits to start kids off with.
                      Snap together, and they have movable parts so, they can kind of play with them also.

If you want to do dinos next year, keep your eyes open for some of the Revell reissues of the prehistoric scenes kits.
                      Aurora Prehistoric Scenes Models - Revell 2007
                      They are discontinued now, but I am sure there are still plenty sitting on store shelves across the country.
                      And quite a few on ebay as well.

Comment

• BOTZWANA
                        spam
                        • May 28, 2009

Originally posted by tay666
                        Great idea.
                        Those are some really good kits to start kids off with.
                        Snap together, and they have movable parts so, they can kind of play with them also.

If you want to do dinos next year, keep your eyes open for some of the Revell reissues of the prehistoric scenes kits.
                        Aurora Prehistoric Scenes Models - Revell 2007
                        They are discontinued now, but I am sure there are still plenty sitting on store shelves across the country.
                        And quite a few on ebay as well.
                        I missed those when they came out!

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

The dinos come around a lot; and you can probably snag 'em on ebay. Even the originals are pretty reasonable. If you're patient. They must have made MILLIONS of 'em back in the day!

The monsters come around a lot too, but can be harder to track down. I think all the glue kits have been reissued, and are available with a bit of a search.... but they've been put out by different companies and you may have to go looking. The Monster Scenes.... a fave since I was a kid.... are rare; but Moebius has started reissuing them. Including some really rare ones, like the Giant Insect and Monsters of the Movies snap Creature. (Which I just got today!)

Back in the day, Aurora was like a direct link to my juvenile brain.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎