PDA

View Full Version : ZICA Toys New York Comic Con Q&A

ZICA
Oct 11, '10, 10:37 AM
Finally got back from the New York Comic Con. The show was a lot of fun and it was a pleasure to meet some fellow MEGO Museum members in person. :smile:

The reaction to the figures was fantastic and I was a little surprised at how many younger people were impressed with them. Unfortunately the ship didn't make it because of tooling problems that occurred about a week before it was due to be finished. If I had brought it to the show it would have been a day late and unpainted so I didn't see the point in doing that. Once it's completed and fully painted I'll be sure to post several images with it sitting in the hangar bay diorama.

I'll be answering the other threads but I wanted to start this one so I can deal with questions concerning everything that was seen or mentioned at the New York Comic Con. I can pretty much reveal all the details now, or at least the ones that I know, so here's a few for starters.

Buck Rogers:
All of the figures shown at the show were factory produced prototypes. Modifications and tweaks are still needed on all of them but Buck and Tigerman are still expected to be available in early to mid December. The retail price will be $30.00.

Adam West:
The figure shown at the show was a hand made prototype with a resin head. More than one version of the figure will done and it's based on a comic book by Bluewater Productions. No release date has been set but I'm hoping to have at least one version ready around May of 2011.

Logan's Run:
There was no prototype shown at the show because it's still pretty early in development but the figure is based on another comic book property being done by Bluewater Productions. Currently the only figure planned is Logan but if the line does well there will definitely be more. I'm hoping for a 2011 release.

The Midnightmen:
These are replacing the figures that I had originally planned to do in 3.75" scale. The prototypes are still early in development but I'm hoping for a 2011 release.

ZICA Female Body:
Still in development and hopefully I'll have some WIP shots to show within the next month or two.

That's all I can think of for now but feel free to ask me any questions and I'll be happy to answer what I can.

Craig

JediJaida
Oct 11, '10, 10:44 AM
WHEEEEEEE! New stuff!

jquest
Oct 11, '10, 10:49 AM
Cool Lot's of stuff to look forward too!! Thanks!!

sprytel
Oct 11, '10, 10:52 AM
Very exciting news, Craig! Everything we've seen so far looks amazing!

spamn
Oct 11, '10, 11:27 AM
Logans run, eh? Great news! I hope you can at least make versions of the same characters of the prototype megos.

Sad that the 2nd sf property isn't original Battlestar Galactica. Would love to see that get full Zica treatment in the future.

But Adam west is a great surprise!

ZICA
Oct 11, '10, 11:29 AM
Logans run, eh? Great news! I hope you can at least make versions of the same characters of the prototype megos.

I'm doing the version found in the Bluewater Productions comic book: Logan's Run (http://www.bluewaterprod.com/comics/logans_run.php)

samurainoir
Oct 11, '10, 12:23 PM
Some great properties there!

Adam West will be the customizer's field day for sure.

Bluewater certainly has some titles that would be perfect for the Mego-treatment.

Folks 'round these parts would go gaga for this one in particular...
http://www.bluewaterprod.com/images/comics/titles/wrath/wrath_large/wrath_02_cvrA.jpg
Particularly if you can play that fine line of evoking the Clash of the Titans movie likenesses.

I'm not sure how Twiki will be handled, but if you are making a child/little person sized body, my pick is this guy...
http://www.bluewaterprod.com/images/comics/titles/leprechaun/preview/LEP2_cover.jpg
particularly paired with the space princess for L4: In Space.
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/images/features/leprechaun/4.jpg

The Lep is the one major contemporary horror figure to not make it to action figure form after the cancellation of SOTA's Now Playing series.

spamn
Oct 11, '10, 3:09 PM
I'm doing the version found in the Bluewater Productions comic book: Logan's Run (http://www.bluewaterprod.com/comics/logans_run.php)Well it's a good thing I know how to read since you made that clear in the original announcement... :embarassed:

Any Logan's Run will be awesome, though.

Meule
Oct 11, '10, 3:47 PM
Adam West:
The figure shown at the show was a hand made prototype with a resin head. More than one version of the figure will done and it's based on a comic book by Bluewater Productions. No release date has been set but I'm hoping to have at least one version ready around May of 2011.

I'm getting them all :drool::yes::drool::yes::drool:

JediJaida
Oct 11, '10, 4:51 PM
Logan's Run?! Seriously?

I am SO stoked about that.

I loved Michael York's portrayal of Logan, but I couldn't stand Gregory what's his name.

I foresee spending a lot of money on you Craig!

kennermike
Oct 11, '10, 5:55 PM
Logan's Run?! Seriously?

I loved Michael York's portrayal of Logan, but I couldn't stand Gregory what's his name.

Im reverse I like Gregory Harrison portrayal over York's.I like the mego never produced version of Harrison thats the way to go

JediJaida
Oct 11, '10, 5:59 PM
Meh. To each his own.

Gregory Harrison is a good actor, but he just didn't have the 'oomph' to play Logan.

renegade
Oct 11, '10, 6:02 PM
I know you said that the Logan's run figure will be from that comic company, but does that mean the head will be a generic Logan?

ZICA
Oct 11, '10, 6:04 PM
Logan's Run?! Seriously?

Just keep in mind that it's the comic book version of Logan's Run and not the film or TV versions. This Logan will have body armor and a helmet.

ZICA
Oct 11, '10, 6:10 PM
I know you said that the Logan's run figure will be from that comic company, but does that mean the head will be a generic Logan?

The head sculpt doesn't look like any of the actors who have played the character so yes, it will pretty much be a generic Logan.

Cmonster
Oct 11, '10, 7:17 PM
Just keep in mind that it's the comic book version of Logan's Run and not the film or TV versions. This Logan will have body armor and a helmet.
What a shame. Here, I was all fired up for the real deal...

SC

Astronut
Oct 11, '10, 8:05 PM
Someone should do Battle Beyond the Stars figures. I'm sure the license is cheap. lol

spamn
Oct 12, '10, 8:09 AM
Someone should do Battle Beyond the Stars figures. I'm sure the license is cheap. lolAnd John Boy Walton heads are cheap and plentiful....

bgiles73
Oct 12, '10, 12:45 PM
Hopefully if sales are there for "Logan's Run" ,maybe Zica could do characters from the 1976 movie? Pleasssssseeee?

alex
Oct 12, '10, 1:12 PM
any version of Logans run, is good for me, well thats all the lines I always wanted covered , so Im a happy chappy !!!

draconianguard
Oct 12, '10, 5:10 PM
I want to thank Craig and company for answering my numerous questions at NYCC. This post seems to have most of it covered. After seeing the incredible Buck Rogers display and cool Adam West prototype, I can't wait to see more from Zica. My girlfriend thought I was a little nuts spending as much time as I did looking at the figures. :) The Logan's Run comic version costume is pretty similar to the movie and TV version, so they should be cool.

Logan's Run: Last Day : Comics : Bluewater Productions (http://www.bluewaterprod.com/comics/logans_run.php)

Bluewater also has a Vincent Price comic book. I'd be all over that in an 8" format!

Vincent Price Presents : Comics : Bluewater Productions (http://www.bluewaterprod.com/comics/vincent_price_presents.php)

bgiles73
Oct 12, '10, 5:51 PM
Michael York and Jenny Agutter's likenesses would be awesome though. Throw in Farah Fawcett and you would have two of my earliest crushes in one toy line. Daisy Duke, Wonder Woman (Linda Carter) and Princess Leia would complete that ensemble (But that's another topic all together) Please Craig if you can do anything about getting a license for the 1976 movie please make it so. And I second that nomination for a line of Vincent Price figures!

JediJaida
Oct 12, '10, 6:22 PM
Young Vincent Price or Old Vincent Price?

bgiles73
Oct 13, '10, 5:56 PM
Young Vincent Price or Old Vincent Price?

Both would be awesome.

JediJaida
Oct 13, '10, 6:37 PM
Actually, that's not a bad idea. I like it.

Wouldn't there be issues with getting a license for his likeness though? I know he died some years ago, but his estate might be fussy about that sort of thing.

ZICA
Oct 13, '10, 6:52 PM
Actually, that's not a bad idea. I like it.

Wouldn't there be issues with getting a license for his likeness though? I know he died some years ago, but his estate might be fussy about that sort of thing.

There shouldn't be any issues getting the license. Executive Replicas is doing a 1/6 scale version of Vincent Price and my contact there never mentioned having any problems.

The Bat
Oct 13, '10, 9:11 PM
I hate to say it...but I find it hard to get excited about a Logan 5 Figure, that isn't Micheal York.:please_y:

Gorn Captain
Oct 14, '10, 11:52 AM
There shouldn't be any issues getting the license. Executive Replicas is doing a 1/6 scale version of Vincent Price and my contact there never mentioned having any problems.

I'll have my paycheck directly sent to ZICA.....

Gorn Captain
Oct 14, '10, 11:54 AM
I hate to say it...but I find it hard to get excited about a Logan 5 Figure, that isn't Micheal York.:please_y:

I have to agree, but there's plenty of other stuff to get excited about....

Would a generic "Sandman" figure (without an actor likeness) be a possibility?
But still the movie costume....

ZICA
Oct 14, '10, 12:45 PM
I have to agree, but there's plenty of other stuff to get excited about....

Would a generic "Sandman" figure (without an actor likeness) be a possibility?
But still the movie costume....

No, I can only do what's in the comic book.

rockeehorror
Oct 14, '10, 2:12 PM
Can we look forward to Perseus anytime in the near future? I think you could do amazing job with that line!

ZICA
Oct 14, '10, 2:51 PM
Can we look forward to Perseus anytime in the near future? I think you could do amazing job with that line!

Nothing has been planned but it is possible.

JediJaida
Oct 14, '10, 3:32 PM
I want Vincent Price!!!! Old and Young versions, thank you.

Um, if you can pull off Pegasus, I'd be willing to forego Perseus.

Lemme see, what else? Hmmmm, Liam Neeson?

bgiles73
Oct 14, '10, 6:31 PM
Uh Oh...Just by saying it's possible you are going to be getting alot of wish lists! Zica is Santa Claus for the 21st century. I say this with the highest respect, Craig. Everything Zica has shown has certainly raised the bar for retro-type figures. I could definately see Zica offerings competing in the mainstream. You could even show the big guys (Mattel-Hasbro) a thing or two. I can't wait for Twiki and the female Z-body. I also can't wait to order more of the male Z-bodies!

bgiles73
Oct 14, '10, 6:34 PM
Just out of curiosity would that be Perseus from the new film or the Classic? I'd like both, but the Classic will always be the best.

rockeehorror
Oct 14, '10, 6:43 PM
Plan on it Craig! You are such an amazing visionary that you can do Wrath of the Titans justice! I can just see the line as it should have been with some amazing GREEK heroes! Especially since the new movie was sooo horrible...yet obviously the interest and the nostalgia is still there! I know I'm going to buy ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you offer because ZICA makes incredible collectibles! I just wish the others would be able to follow your amazing lead! Congratulations on making TOYS that are a huge cut above the rest!

ZICA
Oct 14, '10, 9:12 PM
Just out of curiosity would that be Perseus from the new film or the Classic? I'd like both, but the Classic will always be the best.

If were to eve happen it would have to be the Bluewater Productions comic book version. But just to be clear, there are no plans at this time to make action figures for that particular property.

Plan on it Craig! You are such an amazing visionary that you can do Wrath of the Titans justice! I can just see the line as it should have been with some amazing GREEK heroes! Especially since the new movie was sooo horrible...yet obviously the interest and the nostalgia is still there! I know I'm going to buy ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you offer because ZICA makes incredible collectibles! I just wish the others would be able to follow your amazing lead! Congratulations on making TOYS that are a huge cut above the rest!

Thanks for the compliments and should I ever take on the property I'll be sure do my best on it. :smile: