X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

In defense of Barbie.

Love or hate her, Barbie changed everything.

Long boring rant ahead with way too much info and history.

Think of a time before Barbie when girls had very little to choose from in toys aimed at them. When boys were playing out their dreams and fantasys with all kinds of trucks, planes, toy guns, cowboys, army men, etc. girls had baby dolls, dishes and toy ironing boards. When boys were having exciting adventures playing with little plastic cowboys and army men, girls were wiping Betsy Wetsy's bum.

Ruth Handler was inspired to create an adult doll for girls after watching her daughter and her friends play with paper dolls. Ruth wanted girls to be able to play adventures and act out their hopes and dreams like boys had been able to do with their toys. The men at Mattel were against the idea and insisted girls only wanted baby dolls. Ruth knew better. Because Ruth actually asked girls what they wanted instead of telling them. On vacation in Germany the final piece fell into place when Ruth saw the Lilli doll and finally had something to show to the designers at Mattel that a adult doll could be done. Lilli was heavily modified and Barbie was born.

The men at Mattel as well as the toy buyers at the 1959 Toy Fair didn't think too highly of Barbie being a success. They all again said girls only wanted baby dolls. They were wrong. When Barbie hit the shelves she was an instant hit with girls. Finally they could have play adventures and act out their hopes and dreams instead of just pretend ironing and changing diapers. Because someone finally listened to them. That person was Ruth.

Also, the idea of offering a basic doll with additional fashions was such a huge success other companies decided to market boy dolls with the same business model. Hasbro made GI JOE and boys could dress him in all kinds of military "fashions." Each sold separately. Ideal made Captain Action and boys could collect super hero "fashions." Exact same idea but different names. Dolls became action figures and fashions became uniforms and accessories.

A great many of toys for both boys and girls owe their creation to Barbie. Mattel has made their share of mistakes over the years and Barbie has not always kept up with the times, but As kids and toy collector's we owe a lot to Ruth and to Barbie.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 28, '10, 3:53 AM. Reason: Typos again. My spelling really sucks.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Karen-bionic-fan
    Banned
    • Feb 13, 2010

Hey loved reading your opinion on her was never much of a fan to much dolly looking for me :(

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Barbie Rocks!
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• david_b
        Never had enough toys..
        • May 9, 2008

Yep.. GI Joe never had a better time on R&R..

And... to let folks know she wasn't just eye-candy, ol' Barbie probably got a big charge hunting down the Mummy's Tomb with the ATV in Africa and hanging out at the AT Headquarters.

david_b
        Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

yeah my Joes had some great times
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Barbie Rules! my Mom was a hardcore collector and when she passed away I was the one who got her collection to my daughter's Delight

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

By the Way I'm a Huge fan of the Bild Lily Doll which was as you know Barbie's prototype. I've been wanting to add one to my collection....
              Last edited by kingdom warrior; Sep 29, '10, 9:18 AM.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

I love Barbie. I got a Malibu Barbie when I was 5 and carried her everywhere.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• megoscott
                  Founding Partner
                  • Nov 17, 2006

I have a lot of respect for Barbie.
                  This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Wow, thanks everyone.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

I've got no problems with Barbie. Ken on the other hand.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎