Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Buy Two of Something For Your Child?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theantiquetiger
    Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
    • Nov 12, 2005

Do You Buy Two of Something For Your Child?

I was wondering if I am the only one that sometimes buy two of a toy for my daughter and lets her have one to play with and put the other away for her when she grows up? Or put away a toy that hasn't been played with in long time.

I haven't done too many things like this because she is still young (4 in Dec) and is big into coloring, big legos, Playdo, etc. I so far have put away the complete set of McD's Oz figures and Madame Alexander figures. She plays with these, especially the Oz figs for hours on end. Not only did I buy her a complete second set of the Oz, I bought the entire store display (TMNT included).

I did buy her an extra of her 1st Barbie, nothing fancy, just the plain doll, but it was her first.

I have put away her 1st Easter Bunny, 1st Halloween costume (Tinker Bell).

I now have a second daughter (15 months) and she is growing out of the chew toys, rings, blocks, etc, and I will put away a few of those.

Just imagine if your parents bought two Megos or GI Joes and put one away for you and gave it to you twenty years later.
    Last edited by theantiquetiger; Oct 8, '07, 9:25 PM.
    sigpic
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

yeah, i do the same. i buy two of everything. one to open and one to keep for when my son gets older. he's 5 now and very rough with everything!!

darren

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I don't have kids so I don't do that yet,but I do buy doubles of some my Warrior items for the day I have a boy
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• batmanmc
        mego batman collector
        • Jun 22, 2004

i buy tow of the ones i like since i do not have any kids. if i had kids i would buy 2 1 for now 1 for later.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
          MeGoing
          • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by toys2cool
          I don't have kids so I don't do that yet,but I do buy doubles of some my Warrior items for the day I have a boy
          Hey Damien, maybe the girl you are going to have might like them too, you just never know...

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I used to do this with JLU but lately I've just given up trying, my son appreciates most of the characters more than I do and the only ones hanging on my wall now are figures he already has.

I bet some people would PO'd that I have SDCC exclusive Ray in my tub currently but I think it's great.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jds1911a1
              Alan Scott is the best GL
              • Aug 8, 2007

I don't buy 2 of everything since I have 3 kids but if I find a toy is a favorite for more than a month I get back ups (even just for short term replacement) I know from my own experince the toy I had from 5-10 are the ones I most wanted to replace later. When I get my younger daughter her first real barbie new (not a hand me down from her sister) I will get one to store

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                Hey Damien, maybe the girl you are going to have might like them too, you just never know...
                LOL! i'm really hoping for that Cat I really want a girl,but my wife says there's no way in hell our daughter's going to like that freak
                So we'll see when she gets her very own Warrior teddy bear and stuffed buddy
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• sauce
                  Removed
                  • Jun 24, 2007

I am buying doubles. I'm nuts. I just want to be a kid again and mostly get to because I'm a dad.

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

I purchase certain items to put away.

My oldest son, had one of the old black and white screened Nintendo handheld systems and I purchased an extra when they went on clearance and put it away hoping it would bring back good memories.

My daughter doesn't really play with a lot of toys and never did. She has two nice American Girl Dolls that are practically mint condition. I still have the original box the doll came in so I will probably put the doll away when she is totally done with it, box it and give it to her as an adult.

My youngest (now 7), played with all kinds of toys. His favorite toys were from Toy Story so I do have an original boxed Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Jessie, and Emperor Zerg when he is older. He also loved the Thomas the Tank Engine toys (though I suspect they are all tainted with lead). He doesn't play with them anymore and I have the original boxes to most of them. When I get time, I'm going to box them up and put them away for him when he gets older.
                    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

We usually upsize our Value meals so Punkin can have some fries.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• theantiquetiger
                        Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
                        • Nov 12, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        We usually upsize our Value meals so Punkin can have some fries.
                        Don't you have more than one dog? Are you neglecting / playing favorites over one than the others?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

My son is really careful with his toys. He plays with them a lot, but not roughly, and never has. If they break, its because they are either shoddily made, or not really made for kids, like DC Direct figures. I've all but given up on getting him those. So chances are, his figures will survive into adulthood with him, most of them with only a few paint rubs.

This weekend at Target I found 1 DCSH Bruce Wayne figure on the pegs. I could have been a total collector jerk, but the Dad in me knew my son would get hours of play out of this, and I'd only put it on a shelf somewhere. So I bought it for him.

If I never have to sell the stuff, he'll get it some day anyway, if he wants it.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by theantiquetiger
                            Don't you have more than one dog? Are you neglecting / playing favorites over one than the others?
                            And Sammy, Muffin and Rudy. I didn't feel like typing them all.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                              Pat Troughton in disguise
                              • Nov 21, 2007

I do the opposite sometimes.....I buy a toy for myself and if I think the kids would like it then I would buy a second one for them to do with as the will. Recently I've had to do this with the new Dr Who toys buying my youngest son them and the ones I like twice. My collecting has brought a couple of moments when My kids have done me proud, Once when my daughter was 4 I took her into toys 'R' us and said she could have anything she wanted.....she chose the remote control batmobile (1st burton film version) and the 12" Animated batman figure with light up eyes. I bought these for her and pleaded her to choose something girly as well so her mum wouldn't think I had chosen them for her. My eldest son has caught the bug and since he was 8 years old we have been buying him the corgi Bond cars which now sit proudly on his shelfs fully mint in boxes.
                              ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎