X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mattel Starr and her high school friends

Mattel's Starr seemed to be a teenaged version of the Barbie concept, the look and feel of the line seemed to really embody that late 70s/early 80s style.

Starr had a short tenure at Mattel but was very popular, in 1982 they expanded her line to include new friends, more fashions and a familiar automobile.

Check out the 1981 Mattel Starr Catalog here.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

The nerdy chick plays a banjo? I guess it's slightly better than an accordion.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I got a version of that buggy at a yard sale for use with my Megos. I thought it was Speed Buggy (or Wonder Bug, since I thought they were one in the same). I peeled the flower stickers off of it, and put my Megos in it!

I've never heard my Barbie-collecting wife mention Starr. I'll have to run this past her!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
        To Fear is Not Logical...
        • Feb 17, 2008

I bet my daughter would be into this concept more so than Barbie.
        It's all good!

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

I collect this line!

Actually, what got me started was a copy of Doll Reader magazine was comparing the Shaun doll in the Starr line to the Shaun Cassidy doll by Kenner. Both look like Shaun Cassidy, (although the Mattel doll looks closer to the way Shaun did in the first season of the Hardy Boys), both are packaged w/ red jackets and guitars, and both spell their names S-H-A-U-N, which was ususual for that time since most folks spelled it S-H-A-W-N. Not a slander against Mattel, but you can see why the comparison was made.

This line is lotsa fun, but doesn't age well. The bands inside that make them poseable loosen and break over time. And the clothing sets aren't as well made as Barbie clothes. But little girls do like this line b/c of the high school angle and the band angle. Several kids I've babysat for love these. I even bought some for one girl.

I don't have the car, but I have coloring books (Hi Brian!) and a paper doll set w/ a playsets inside.

Cool stuff!
          Last edited by HardyGirl; Sep 17, '10, 10:01 AM.
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍